Hi all

Im looking at having a crack at Murray Cod and am not sure on land based locations as close to Sydney as possible.

A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Welcome aboard.

Have a look in the Fishraider Search Engine.

Cheers.

Same here although I'm up near Coffs so the New Engalnd area is on the cards

Looking fro free camping with campertrailer or park with bush camping.

2 dogs as well

Ant tips, never tried for cod and trout season is ages away,

4 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

2 dogs as well

copeton would be your best bet this time of year 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

2 dogs as well

HAHA. Love your handle! You don't say if you are going to fish from boat or land based. Gorge country would be your best bet if land based or from a kayak. The dams West of you would be suited to boat fishing. (Copeton, Pindari, Keepit, Split Rock} all contain Murray Cod. Of course a major impacting factor is the lack of rain so many rivers and dams are still very low. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Thinking of Bens Falls, Copeton or Bullock Mountain.

Bens Falls is a bit $$$$ but don't have to drag the camper out there.

Anyone had a crack at any of these?

Love Ebor bush camping at Styx River when the trout streams or open.

Yes Dear,

I cannot personally confirm however I have it on good authority that there is a population of (protected) Eastern Cod in a fresh water river in close proximity to your location. Eastern fall river starts just out behind Coffs!! So that river also connects to others which leads you up towards Guy Fawks etc which is excellent for Bass also (in Summer) and some good camping spots - the World is your Oyster...

Let us know how you go!!

Photos only!!

Hoodz

29 minutes ago, Hoods said:

Yes Dear,

I cannot personally confirm however I have it on good authority that there is a population of (protected) Eastern Cod in a fresh water river in close proximity to your location. Eastern fall river starts just out behind Coffs!! So that river also connects to others which leads you up towards Guy Fawks etc which is excellent for Bass also (in Summer) and some good camping spots - the World is your Oyster...

Let us know how you go!!

Photos only!!

Hoodz

As Hoodz says there are Eastern Cod in the Mann and Nymboida Rivers. They are a protected species and there is a CLOSED SEASON from 1st August for 3 months. These fish are a sub species of the MURRAY COD and generally grow to about 66cms and 5kg.

Cheers, bn

Just booked in for late Aug at Benns Fall for a week.

Taken new baitcaster combo (to be bought) spins x heaps and the wand x 2 plus Kayak

would like the baitcastor to handle small MCod and cross to some Bassing in the summer from the kayak

Any recommendations, may be able to squeeze 350 past her if she's not paying attention.😎

1 hour ago, Yes Dear said:

Taken new baitcaster combo (to be bought) spins x heaps and the wand x 2 plus Kayak

would like the baitcastor to handle small MCod and cross to some Bassing in the summer from the kayak

Any recommendations, may be able to squeeze 350 past her if she's not paying attention.😎

A good mate of mine was at Ben falls last week and did alright he got 4 fish in 2 days just be prepared to put some serious casts in, I fish other sections of the Severn a few times a year (suss out the freshwater reports section) and the fish are pretty clued into lures my most successful technique is a 5 inch grub style plastic rigged weedless 

my main baitcast combo for cod is a shimano curado k with 30lb braid on  a shimano cod raider 8-12kg

2 hours ago, Hoods said:

Yes Dear,

Let us know how you go!!

Photos only!!

Hoodz

there's a good population of Eastern cod west of Coffs, they are totally protected and a "no target species" although they are pretty much impossible to avoid when you're bass fishing in the Mann and nymboida, they're seriously aggressive and make the murray cod seem a bit meek in comparison  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

I'm picturing you having Buckleys chance of sneaking $350 past "Yes Dear"... better organise a "secret" bank account for your fishing gear. (LOL). Good luck buddy. bn

• Haha 1

Between all the fishing kit that constantly needs expanding, tricking up the Harley and Ducati I find I'm always asking for forgiveness not permission.

Ended up passing on the baitcastor as I know how tricky they can be when starting out and me with litte patience means it could end up sitting in the shed.

If I want to get frustrated fishing I will get the wand out and do some tight stream trout fishing, always ends in a swearing session!

Went with a heavier TD Sol 641   6-10kgs  and a 3000 TD spin reel with good drag around $255. + 20lb braid + 3 new spinnebaits

All my other combos are lighter for breaming, bassing and trouting.

See how I go.