Murray Cod Help

• 1 month later...

Same here although I'm up near Coffs so the New Engalnd area is on the cards

Looking fro free camping with campertrailer or park with bush camping.

2 dogs as well

Ant tips, never tried for cod and trout season is ages away,

4 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

2 dogs as well

copeton would be your best bet this time of year 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

2 dogs as well

HAHA. Love your handle! You don't say if you are going to fish from boat or land based. Gorge country would be your best bet if land based or from a kayak. The dams West of you would be suited to boat fishing. (Copeton, Pindari, Keepit, Split Rock} all contain Murray Cod. Of course a major impacting factor is the lack of rain so many rivers and dams are still very low. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Thinking of Bens Falls, Copeton or Bullock Mountain.

Bens Falls is a bit $$$$ but don't have to drag the camper out there.

Anyone had a crack at any of these?

Love Ebor bush camping at Styx River when the trout streams or open.

Yes Dear,

I cannot personally confirm however I have it on good authority that there is a population of (protected) Eastern Cod in a fresh water river in close proximity to your location. Eastern fall river starts just out behind Coffs!! So that river also connects to others which leads you up towards Guy Fawks etc which is excellent for Bass also (in Summer) and some good camping spots - the World is your Oyster...

Let us know how you go!!

Photos only!!

Hoodz

29 minutes ago, Hoods said:

Yes Dear,

I cannot personally confirm however I have it on good authority that there is a population of (protected) Eastern Cod in a fresh water river in close proximity to your location. Eastern fall river starts just out behind Coffs!! So that river also connects to others which leads you up towards Guy Fawks etc which is excellent for Bass also (in Summer) and some good camping spots - the World is your Oyster...

Let us know how you go!!

Photos only!!

Hoodz

As Hoodz says there are Eastern Cod in the Mann and Nymboida Rivers. They are a protected species and there is a CLOSED SEASON from 1st August for 3 months. These fish are a sub species of the MURRAY COD and generally grow to about 66cms and 5kg.

Cheers, bn

Just booked in for late Aug at Benns Fall for a week.

Taken new baitcaster combo (to be bought) spins x heaps and the wand x 2 plus Kayak

would like the baitcastor to handle small MCod and cross to some Bassing in the summer from the kayak

Any recommendations, may be able to squeeze 350 past her if she's not paying attention.😎

1 hour ago, Yes Dear said:

Taken new baitcaster combo (to be bought) spins x heaps and the wand x 2 plus Kayak

would like the baitcastor to handle small MCod and cross to some Bassing in the summer from the kayak

Any recommendations, may be able to squeeze 350 past her if she's not paying attention.😎

A good mate of mine was at Ben falls last week and did alright he got 4 fish in 2 days just be prepared to put some serious casts in, I fish other sections of the Severn a few times a year (suss out the freshwater reports section) and the fish are pretty clued into lures my most successful technique is a 5 inch grub style plastic rigged weedless 

my main baitcast combo for cod is a shimano curado k with 30lb braid on  a shimano cod raider 8-12kg

2 hours ago, Hoods said:

Yes Dear,

Let us know how you go!!

Photos only!!

Hoodz

there's a good population of Eastern cod west of Coffs, they are totally protected and a "no target species" although they are pretty much impossible to avoid when you're bass fishing in the Mann and nymboida, they're seriously aggressive and make the murray cod seem a bit meek in comparison  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

I'm picturing you having Buckleys chance of sneaking $350 past "Yes Dear"... better organise a "secret" bank account for your fishing gear. (LOL). Good luck buddy. bn

• Haha 1

Between all the fishing kit that constantly needs expanding, tricking up the Harley and Ducati I find I'm always asking for forgiveness not permission.

Ended up passing on the baitcastor as I know how tricky they can be when starting out and me with litte patience means it could end up sitting in the shed.

If I want to get frustrated fishing I will get the wand out and do some tight stream trout fishing, always ends in a swearing session!

Went with a heavier TD Sol 641   6-10kgs  and a 3000 TD spin reel with good drag around $255. + 20lb braid + 3 new spinnebaits

All my other combos are lighter for breaming, bassing and trouting.

See how I go.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a week at Bens Falls

Very very cold.

Fishing was very hard, did plenty of rock hoping and canoe fishing.

Hooked up on one and dropped it on a 70mm gold softy paddle tail, at first I thought it was a big brown trout but when it realised something was up it flipped out of the water and took off pretty slowly, got a good look at it and would say it was as long as my forearm and had a good beer gut on it.

Early on weds morning in the canoe I put my paddle on a shallow sunny rock ledge with about 8 inches of water over the top and touched another big cod that must have been suning itself, it took off with a massive splash and scared the crap out of me.

Still count belive how shallow the water was.

Had a smaller fish come out from a rock and smash my soon to be lost Stump Jumper.

Had another row of small bites in quick sucsession on a larger softplastic that i htough may have been a Yellow belly

.And that was about it for the week.

Water was very cold so maybe winter is not the best time.

Tried all types of lures and donated my new StumpJumper and new Bassman big spinner with black softy to te river gods.

Got to use the new spin combo and new baitcaster combo (yes i bought it anyway).

will go back when a bit wamer but man it looks like snakes city so will have to leave the mutts at home.

Beautiful country.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

Just got back from a week at Bens Falls

Very very cold.

Fishing was very hard, did plenty of rock hoping and canoe fishing.

Hooked up on one and dropped it on a 70mm gold softy paddle tail, at first I thought it was a big brown trout but when it realised something was up it flipped out of the water and took off pretty slowly, got a good look at it and would say it was as long as my forearm and had a good beer gut on it.

Early on weds morning in the canoe I put my paddle on a shallow sunny rock ledge with about 8 inches of water over the top and touched another big cod that must have been suning itself, it took off with a massive splash and scared the crap out of me.

Still count belive how shallow the water was.

Had a smaller fish come out from a rock and smash my soon to be lost Stump Jumper.

Had another row of small bites in quick sucsession on a larger softplastic that i htough may have been a Yellow belly

.And that was about it for the week.

Water was very cold so maybe winter is not the best time.

Tried all types of lures and donated my new StumpJumper and new Bassman big spinner with black softy to te river gods.

Got to use the new spin combo and new baitcaster combo (yes i bought it anyway).

will go back when a bit wamer but man it looks like snakes city so will have to leave the mutts at home.

Beautiful country.

That's the world of Cod fishing...often famine, sometimes feast. It's a game of patience and persistence. December through to April are better months to notch up some numbers, but once again, they don't often jump in the boat. The more remote the area you fish the better your chances but defo watch out for snakes in the warmer months. Good luck with your future assaults mate. bn

Thanks for the report. Keep your chin up & gear ready as Bass season opens in a few weeks. Hoping it will be better than last year following some rain at least. Mind you there is forecast of snow down to 550m this weekend. Might have to impose on our Nambucca neighbour for some mid water fishing in the lower Taylors Arm and Nambucca which shouldn't get any snow melt.

Hey Hoods,

Warrell Creek runs through my back paddocks.

2 summers ago couldn't stop catching bass and bream on cicader poppers, last summer it was so bad.

I drive down the back paddock and drop the kayak in and head up past the bridge.

Gotta head to MOsT at Coffs and grab a small baitcaster rod to put the new tratulla on for bass use now.

Do you know where to go for amber js around nambucca

They have been elusive for me fishing on the shallow reefs out to 60m. Have caught a few over the years up to 8kg but I do not know how to specifically target them. There are a few Kings in the area that are targeted by deep jigging but not sure of any marks in your area. Valla mountain sounds good. And both AJ's & Sambos are really good on the table. More practice required

3 hours ago, Yes Dear said:

Been mentioning AJs when I was thinking Mangrove Jacks, getting old!

Think there is a few around mid north coast rivers and creeks, meant to be quite an agro fish.

We've got plenty of them on the MNC, past Macksville is where I mainly target them....... agro... they''re the nastiest most canny frustrating damn fish on the planet... can't get enough of old "red satan"

• 2 weeks later...

Yes "agro" is a good description - just ask my son who chased them in a small system south of Port Macquarie & came home with a busted (expensive) rod when the satan ran back under the boat headed for home.

Hoping to spend a long weekend camping on Warrell Creek this summer before the tooth brigade turn up outside.

• Like 1