Info on Alvey rod/reel

fishii

HI All

I was planning on getting an Alvey rod/reel . Would like to know if any of you have used one before 

Is there anything I need to know 

How have your experiences been 

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has an Alvey reel to find out how their experience has been so far 

Thanks

I have several of the older Alvey reels that I use for surf fishing.  IN this field they are unbreakable and can stand a bath in the dirtiest water.  I use mono, not braid, as you do a lot of line control with your fingers--- and braid may just slice them open.

THey need a little attention when winding in as there are no level guides, but you quickly adapt.

No true LB fisherman should be without at least 1.

• Like 1

100% Agree with dmck,

I am a huge alvey fan but i am also the first to admit that they do have their limitations.

For certain purposes (like surf/rock fishing) you will be very hard pressed to find reels that will outlast alveys in their price range (or even double their price rage!). Many people have alveys which are still catching fish decades after they have been acquired (my first alvey was bought new in 1998 and is still my primary reel when surf fishing, functions as well as they day i bought it with minimal maintenance. I have bought older used reels which are just as capable). 

Having said that, they do take a little while to get used to (but its like learning to ride a bike, it all becomes second nature very quickly). They are also comparatively heavy when measured against other reel options.

I personally would not use alveys off of a boat or when spinning/casting lures, you are just giving yourself more work here, compared to, say a spin reel.(but i know people who do).

• Like 1

For bait fishing rocks and beaches nothing comes close to an Alvey when it comes to line control and the ability to cast long distances with lightly weighted baits. Also the direct 1:1 drive is perfect for winching out tough fighters, like drummer and groper.

With the large spool diameter, they are well suited to stiff, abrasion resistant mono like Schneider around the rocks, or Tortue if you can still find it. Low stretch mono like that sold by Platypus is a great choice for the beach, which offers almost the same sensitivity as braid without the risk of slicing fingers.

Take a look on the Alvey website for suggested rigs and casting techniques and always use an appropriate sized swivel above your rig to prevent line twist.

As said above, they're really not suited to lurecasting as their retrieve rate is roughly half that of a spin reel and while doable, is a little slow.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of Alvey reels, I have a stack of them in different sizes, nothing beats them for surf fishing and they're also great when fishing live yakkas under floats off the rocks. I have a single Alvey rod - a blackfish special - and I can vouch for that as well. I tend to chase all other fish with Snyder Glas rods when using Alveys though, they're pretty hard to beat when you're after an old-school 12ft fibreglass rod IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too love Alvey reels and also have a few of them (which I might add will outlast any other reel and probably outlast the owner...they are virtually indestructable). I generally use mine off the beach and also often with a Snyder Glass rod. As others have said, definitely not for braid use and also they do take a little time and practice to master, but once you do you will love it.

I had a very small Alvey that lived in the boat permanently on a short cheap rod that I used as a "ready rigged" Squid outfit, if a Squid turned up while Snapper fishing, the little Alvey was ready to go, it outlasted 4 boats and decades of being left in the weather, unwashed, covered in bait and Squid ink, to this day it's hiding in my shed somewhere, and it will still work.

23 hours ago, fishii said:

HI All

I was planning on getting an Alvey rod/reel . Would like to know if any of you have used one before 

Is there anything I need to know 

How have your experiences been 

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has an Alvey reel to find out how their experience has been so far 

Thanks

Hi Fishii what style of fishing are you looking at doing with it?- there are many different Alvey's, if you give us an idea of the purpose, we will be able to give plenty of advice!

Hi fishii

This answer is assuming you are looking at their side casts and not the new spinners......

It will pretty much be determined by the type of fishing you’re planning to do. If it’s beach or rock fishing and involves bait, mono line, sand and getting wet, then an Alvey is a lifetime investment worth making. They do take a bit of getting used to in regards to line management, but practice makes perfect. I probably wouldn’t recommend them as an occasional use reel for that reason, but if you are planning to fish often they are great

Mine are relatively “new” graphite back models (625b with 12lb for the light stuff and 650bc with 18lb for the heavy stuff) and they aren’t at all heavy or cumbersome. They are pretty much bullet proof and require minimal maintenance (just a good wash and a light oil); you’d have to be pretty tough on gear to break one