Jervis bay tips or hints

fezza82

Hey raiders I’m heading back down to jervis bay next weekend for a couple of days taking the boat and staying at husky if anyone could let me know what would be on the bite or places to try that would be great thanks again in advance cheers Fez 

Woolamia is probably the best of the launching facilities in the bay. Creek is a right mongrel to navigate in the dark with the amount of moorings etc. Entrance of the creek to the bay is shallow but has channel markers. You can cut between the rocks and Huskisson however it is probably safer if you dont know the area to continue along the beach until well clear of the rocks. 

From there your options are endless. Flathead, snapper, squid etc are all available to you depending on where you choose to fish but anywhere towards the heads will see you well served.

Without knowing what boat you have i would suggest you dont take the bay lightly when the wind gets up it gets as rough as the open ocean. I come back across there in a 4.6m webster in a 30 knot southerly and have also been towed back across there at night in a 5.2m seafarer in similar winds. I dont recommend it

• Thanks 1

Most of the bay is sand, so, unless you are fishing the weed beds along the beaches for Squid, or Flathead, you will need to fish near the heads, middle ground and some reef off Longnose is probably the most popular reef fishing in the bay.

• Thanks 1

Currently Woolamia is your only option to launch locally, as Murrays Beach ramp/Booderee National Park is currently closed to the public until 23rd June, due to COVID-19.

Edited by Green Hornet
Date added
  • Thanks 1

Thanks heaps for the help raiders I will be there next Friday the 12 of June so hopefully after the weekend I can put a bit of a report up and some photos of my catches. And I’ll be in a quintrex trident 610 if that helps cheers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Currently Woolamia is your only option to launch locally, as Murrays Beach ramp/Booderee National Park is currently closed to the public until 23rd June, due to COVID-19.

Have you ever used the rock shelf at Vincentia to launch? It looks quite usable for small boats

2 hours ago, New Signing said:

Have you ever used the rock shelf at Vincentia to launch? It looks quite usable for small boats

I haven't used it myself, but have mates that launch 14 foot tinnies there. Anything larger would be a handful in conditions that weren't ideal I reckon.

There's also a sand ramp at Plantation Point but again, light boats, high tide and 4x4 only.

5 hours ago, New Signing said:

Without knowing what boat you have i would suggest you dont take the bay lightly when the wind gets up it gets as rough as the open ocean

This is a good tip a few years back I launched at the back of Callala beach in Currambene creek late one afternoon and entered the bay, we shot over past Murrays and were fishing when the southerly came through, it was 2hrs early and harder than expected.

The run over took 20mins, once the weather hit we were down to 10knots and it took over a hour to get back to the creek, so long that it was dark by the time we go back which made it harder again. Lucky I had launched in the creek multiple time before and made getting the boat out easier being sheltered.

The bag limits are reduced for Squid in the bay, pretty sure its a 10 per person limit but great to get some for eating and bait.

• Thanks 1