A little freedom goes a long way

kingie chaser

Hi raiders, I hope like me you are all finding pleasure in the new regional travel restrictions being relaxed?

After 10 weeks of being cooped up it is a massive sense of relief to get out into the country, away from concrete walls, the sound of traffic & police sirens. 

Just to smell fresh air, being able to walk in grassy fields, boil the billy & have a cuppa watching eagle's flying over mountain tops looking for prey, it was awesome.

No fishing involved, just 3 days with some 4 wheel driving & checking out properties that were affected badly by the fires in January.

In this area they have come back really well with some decent rainfalls since the fires, still lots of tree's gone that will take a long time to re grow but the grass is green & high & they have stopped having to hand feed.

One property owner is still in the process of replacing over 50km of old wooden post fencing.

Anyway back home now & it feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel after CV19, you never know I might actually be going back to work soon 😁

Hopefully those in NSW & other states will get out their help support any kind of tourism business in regional areas over the long weekend, especially those areas hit by the fires at those businesses were hit twice, once by fire & secondly by Covid 19 travel bans!

1097306537_Panorama-Copy(3)-Copy.thumb.jpg.ef479810671f971fbbfa282d80bfedf3.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Planning on going for a trip to Cobargo in the next week or so to catch up with some good fishing buddies. Don't know if I will take the boat or just visit friends.

Frank

When are you going Frank? What sort of fishing are you likely to be doing? Neil

Like all of us I've spent the last couple of months sitting at home; for most of the time in glorious weather. Made a spontaneous decision the other day to go to Yamba and jump on a charter. Currently I'm sitting in the sun on the wall watching the sea and the charter operator has just confirmed tomorrows trip. North coast sergeant bakers watch out I'm coming for you!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Just got back from 4 days out myself-man it was good -although i still never get used to camping when the temp is -4 !!

Good to hear.

Where did you get to @PaddyT??

I guess I am used to sub temperature camping, you get into a routine & it becomes pretty manageable if you think about it.

Ive done lots of extreme cold activities like skiing in -30*c overseas & back home have camped down to -15 before, that was a memorable trip, in the swag with everything on like thermals & even a beanie, still manageable in a canvas tent. 

I think when you have experienced some of the extremes the world can throw at you, you build up a fair bit of resilience.

Apart from the fishing related I just love getting out & away from the city & enjoying our country whether in snow, sunshine, on mountain tops or by sea or river.  

We have it all here in Aus!

Got to enjoy it at every opportunity 🙂

Wednesday.thumb.JPG.490fc6a08fdb23450ed560fb2aecfd40.JPG

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Good to hear.

Where did you get to @PaddyT??

I guess I am used to sub temperature camping, you get into a routine & it becomes pretty manageable if you think about it.

Ive done lots of extreme cold activities like skiing in -30*c overseas & back home have camped down to -15 before, that was a memorable trip, in the swag with everything on like thermals & even a beanie, still manageable in a canvas tent. 

I think when you have experienced some of the extremes the world can throw at you, you build up a fair bit of resilience.

Apart from the fishing related I just love getting out & away from the city & enjoying our country whether in snow, sunshine, on mountain tops or by sea or river.  

We have it all here in Aus!

Got to enjoy it at every opportunity 🙂

Wednesday.thumb.JPG.490fc6a08fdb23450ed560fb2aecfd40.JPG

Very nice. Iv read your post on 4x4earth

• Thanks 1

ha-certainly camped in some snow over the years as well- actually had a bit fall on Wednesday night- i get the dressing up properly bit- its just the getting up out of a nice warm sleeping bag and out of the swag at 5.30am in -4 that sometimes strikes me as an act of masochism. Youve got a good set up there- i currently put a fly over my swag and camp chair/table- its not really a great setup in bad weather- how do you find the car awning? I was down near Nimmitabel.

Yeah it's double freedom for me as I've just finished another semester at uni. Restrictions just released in time. 2 postgrad subjects + working from home + 2 kids is a recipe for hair loss, let me tell you...

A mate asked me if I wanted to go for a fish and I almost said no on autopilot, then I then I realised...wait a sec...no reason why I can't! So off to the beach this long weekend with a bit of luck...

Guest Guest123456789

That awning set up looks sweet!

The extended family (14 of us) are staying at Perisher in August. Hopefully we get good snow and we can do our bit for the regional NSW economy. I might even leave earlier and try a bit of fishing beforehand at Jervis Bay.

11 hours ago, PaddyT said:

ha-certainly camped in some snow over the years as well- actually had a bit fall on Wednesday night- i get the dressing up properly bit- its just the getting up out of a nice warm sleeping bag and out of the swag at 5.30am in -4 that sometimes strikes me as an act of masochism. Youve got a good set up there- i currently put a fly over my swag and camp chair/table- its not really a great setup in bad weather- how do you find the car awning? I was down near Nimmitabel.

I hear you about getting out of a warm swag but my mate showed me how to avoid freezing my butt of & that is to have your next days cloth in the swag with you so you only have to put your boots on outside the swag, with the dome swags its easy enough to do.

The only problem with the awning is it collects water/snow, even if you drop one corner.

The storm in the above pic was pretty full on, blizzard really & I have been in plenty of blizzards before but not in a tent, there were tree's falling down all over the place & at one stage a massive explosion happened close to the tent & it was a huge gum that snapped near the base, when we walked out in the morning the tree was only about 40 metres away from the tent & it was about 30 metres high!

There was a fair bit of weight on the roof with 3+inches of snow on it!

Was one of the scariest nights I've ever had, just glad it was attached to the car as the tent lifted off the ground several times!

I've actually made this awning & tent detachable so I can still drive around, there are brackets you can buy now but at the time there wasn't anything so I made up my own brackets, it works but its a bit of a pain to work it off & on the car, also have a couple more panels I put on the front & side as well.

384630840_Freestanding.thumb.jpg.b6a18c7879324940b9f23c236737633b.jpg

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Yeah it's double freedom for me as I've just finished another semester at uni. Restrictions just released in time. 2 postgrad subjects + working from home + 2 kids is a recipe for hair loss, let me tell you...

A mate asked me if I wanted to go for a fish and I almost said no on autopilot, then I then I realised...wait a sec...no reason why I can't! So off to the beach this long weekend with a bit of luck...

Enjoy the weekend, hope you catch a few, the weather is supposed to be pretty average on Sunday & Monday so be ready for it.

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

That awning set up looks sweet!

The extended family (14 of us) are staying at Perisher in August. Hopefully we get good snow and we can do our bit for the regional NSW economy. I might even leave earlier and try a bit of fishing beforehand at Jervis Bay.

It does the job, Im looking at selling it & getting an oztrail RV5, much easier to put up & down.

The Hotel I used to work at down near Perisher is not opening this season because of the social distancing thing, its not viable for them to open if they can only hold 1/4 of their usual numbers, wouldn't be surprised if there is more like that.

I do hear that people get some decent kings down Jervis way, I have a friend who lives at Vincentia & get down there occasionally, only I dont have a boat that I can get outside.

Hope you enjoy the trip :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser

5 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

There is also trout & Atlantic salmon in the lakes & rivers if your keen

• Like 1

I like the idea of detachable- I generally set up ""basecamp"" and can move around a fair bit some trips, Ive got an awning (no tent) but tend not to use it because the last thing i want to do is pack up the awning at 5am in the dark before i move around for the day.

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

There is also trout & Atlantic salmon in the lakes & rivers if your keen

Dieter I would pay you to take me out in the crusher lake jindy chasing trout and salmon. $5 would cover fuel and bait?

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Guest Guest123456789
8 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I hear you about getting out of a warm swag but my mate showed me how to avoid freezing my butt of & that is to have your next days cloth in the swag with you so you only have to put your boots on outside the swag, with the dome swags its easy enough to do.

The only problem with the awning is it collects water/snow, even if you drop one corner.

The storm in the above pic was pretty full on, blizzard really & I have been in plenty of blizzards before but not in a tent, there were tree's falling down all over the place & at one stage a massive explosion happened close to the tent & it was a huge gum that snapped near the base, when we walked out in the morning the tree was only about 40 metres away from the tent & it was about 30 metres high!

There was a fair bit of weight on the roof with 3+inches of snow on it!

Was one of the scariest nights I've ever had, just glad it was attached to the car as the tent lifted off the ground several times!

I've actually made this awning & tent detachable so I can still drive around, there are brackets you can buy now but at the time there wasn't anything so I made up my own brackets, it works but its a bit of a pain to work it off & on the car, also have a couple more panels I put on the front & side as well.

384630840_Freestanding.thumb.jpg.b6a18c7879324940b9f23c236737633b.jpg

Enjoy the weekend, hope you catch a few, the weather is supposed to be pretty average on Sunday & Monday so be ready for it.

It does the job, Im looking at selling it & getting an oztrail RV5, much easier to put up & down.

The Hotel I used to work at down near Perisher is not opening this season because of the social distancing thing, its not viable for them to open if they can only hold 1/4 of their usual numbers, wouldn't be surprised if there is more like that.

I do hear that people get some decent kings down Jervis way, I have a friend who lives at Vincentia & get down there occasionally, only I dont have a boat that I can get outside.

Hope you enjoy the trip :biggrinthumb:

We are at the Salzburg apartments and they are definitely open. Fingers crossed we get reduced crowds, the mountain open, the pubs open and heaps of snow.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Dieter I would pay you to take me out in the crusher lake jindy chasing trout and salmon. $5 would cover fuel and bait?

Luke that $5 would cover about 5 hour’s on the boat the way fuel prices are at the moment but wouldn’t include bait

I only use lures. You could always tow the boat down from JB & you could use the same cloths as for skiing.Mind you it might be the first boat to be outside the Salzburg apartments especially in winter 😂

Edited by 61 crusher

We are at the Salzburg apartments and they are definitely open. Fingers crossed we get reduced crowds, the mountain open, the pubs open and heaps of snow.

Good luck & hope it works out.

From what I have read all NSW & Vic snow fields will run at 50% capacity, accommodation & on hill so if your their at the right time you will have all the pow to yourself :biggrinthumb:

Guest Guest123456789
55 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Luke that $5 would cover about 5 hour’s on the boat the way fuel prices are at the moment but wouldn’t include bait

I only use lures. You could always tow the boat down from JB & you could use the same cloths as for skiing.Mind you it might be the first boat to be outside the Salzburg apartments especially in winter 😂

No parking there and no way I’m taking a boat to the snowfields - can you imagine towing it along black ice? Ridiculous suggestion

No parking there and no way I’m taking a boat to the snowfields - can you imagine towing it along black ice? Ridiculous suggestion

Yes it would look ridiculous having a boat in Perisher in the middle of the skiing season but you could always organise with the local caravan park at the Thredbo turn-off to leave your boat secure onsite with a minimal fee which has the boat ramp right next door, a few years back staying in Jyndabine we had snow that night & one of the guys without much common sense headed home early & seperated his boat & car due to speed & black ice, I’ve also experienced black ice on a couple of occasions on the other side of the blue mountains going to lake Lyell At Lithgow in winter & negotiated it without issues, being cautious & using commonsense goes a long way in life & if it’s not for you that’s fine

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Yes it would look ridiculous having a boat in Perisher in the middle of the skiing season but you could always organise with the local caravan park at the Thredbo turn-off to leave your boat secure onsite with a minimal fee which has the boat ramp right next door, a few years back staying in Jyndabine we had snow that night & one of the guys without much common sense headed home early & seperated his boat & car due to speed & black ice, I’ve also experienced black ice on a couple of occasions on the other side of the blue mountains going to lake Lyell At Lithgow in winter & negotiated it without issues, being cautious & using commonsense goes a long way in life & if it’s not for you that’s fine

That caravan park is called snowline and they are jam packed peak season good luck finding vacant space there. Where do you stay Dieter and what time of year do you fish lake Jindabyne?

6 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

That caravan park is called snowline and they are jam packed peak season good luck finding vacant space there. Where do you stay Dieter and what time of year do you fish lake Jindabyne?

Normally I go down just before the June long weekend & leave the boat in the water & access it via the caravan park & stay in one of the cabins at the discovery park which also hires out boats, the old Bavarian restaurant is now run by a Thai lady & there’s also a tackle shop there along side the servo