Wooli

Far Canary

Based myself in Wooli for a work trip last week after reading Scratchie's trip report last year.

Managed to sneak out to NW Rock late one afternoon and found a good patch of kings & snapper on soft plastics. Got dusted by as many as I landed but great session. Best snapper went 70cms which I was very happy with(PB) until one local on Minnie beach told me it was just 'better than nothing'....haha.

Fished out of Minnie again another day in poor conditions focussing on closest reef to the beach. Very tough going with only mack tuna until I hooked a 125cm long tail, my first, right at sunset. Epic fight solo and seeing the fins break the surface for the first time after a few attempts at catching one was a great moment. A quick run back to the beach before last light.

Another afternoon the tides were right for a run out of Wooli bar and after trying SPs at NW Rock again without luck I came inshore and fished home reef. Baby mack tuna everywhere churning up the surface eating white bait. Had a couple of drifts across the reef and hooked another longtail. 13 circles and a kilometer later I tailled the fish, got a quick pic and released.

Apparently I missed the mackerel by a couple of weeks so cant wait to get up there again next Easter.

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

IMG_8952.jpg

IMG_8963.jpg

IMG_9016.jpg

IMG_9022.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, JonD said:

Fantastic, my favorate place to fish. Did you beach launch at Minnie at all ?

Thanks JonD - I launched at Minnie on dead low tide first 2 days rather than chance the Wooli bar. It was good as there is a bit of a drop-off accessible at low tide.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Super report and Super photos. Well done.

Thanks

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Great effort solo! 

Cheers - fighting the fish was fine but the beach retreival solo always gets the pulse going while the tyres are sinking

Giddy up!!! My favourite place in NSW to fish! Looks like an awesome trip. Congrats on the PB snapper. 
Mate, you haven’t lived until you cross that bar at Wooli. Lol 😂 It’s actually not as bad as it looks but it does look very daunting. 
Great report and I’m glad you got some arm stretching! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

8 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Great report and pics - like the one of your rig on the beach.

Did you get the longtails on lures or livies?

Cheers

Fil

Cheers Fil, I got the longtails drifting over inshore reefs in 10-20m water with plenty of bait around. The rigs were 2-3m of 80lb leader with a sliding bead stopper above a float and 8/0 circle hook.  The bead catches on the braid/leader knot and sets the bait depth at 2-3m but you can still wind the leader onto the reel.

I had two livies out the back, a bait jig down the side and was casting SPs out the front. One fish taken on a yakka and the other on a slimie.

I used a drouge to slow the drift and not being at anchor was handy when the fish hit and I needed to chase them. Drifting also allowed me to cover a bit of ground.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Far Canary said:

Cheers Fil, I got the longtails drifting over inshore reefs in 10-20m water with plenty of bait around. The rigs were 2-3m of 80lb leader with a sliding bead stopper above a float and 8/0 circle hook.  The bead catches on the braid/leader knot and sets the bait depth at 2-3m but you can still wind the leader onto the reel.

I had two livies out the back, a bait jig down the side and was casting SPs out the front. One fish taken on a yakka and the other on a slimie.

I used a drouge to slow the drift and not being at anchor was handy when the fish hit and I needed to chase them. Drifting also allowed me to cover a bit of ground.

Thanks for all that detail. Also interesting to hear you were able to launch off the beach at Minnie - well done doing it solo!

Cheers