Few upgrades to the old girl

New Signing

Over the course of a couple of weeks with time and weather permitting i have installed a battery shelf along the back of the boat, side pockets, new seats, rewired and a light tackle station to my Gamefisher 22 to accompany the new wrap. Once the weather improves ill paint the non slip topsides to match the colour of the wrap

received_883401785504236.jpeg

received_564769267517447.jpeg

received_256660382222034.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 4:27 PM, dunc333 said:

nice job keep the pics coming please

That's it for the time being mate. I've got a soft spot in the floor i'll cut out and replace for now. Given the guy who originally replaced the stringers floor etc didn't glass both sides of the floor eventually ill have to pull the lot up. I'll make some pretty serious changes then with kill tanks etc.

I'll be putting EVA flooring down once the soft spot is repaired.

I'll also be looking for ideas to reline the cab. It currently has a carpet material in there walls and roof. I'm not sure what to replace it with if im honest

Hey @New Signing, great work above. Doing mods and adding to my rig is something I can relate to and enjoy quite a lot. I notice in the pictures above you are doing some work in the rear cockpit area. 

I have vinyl trim covered plywood which forms the side pockets under the gunnels and extends to just above the floor providing the toe hold space there. The vinyl has stood up really well, however, the backing plywood is starting to deteriorate in places.

It looks like you are reworking your side pockets in ply with epoxy flow coat covering - am I seeing that correctly? 

I've been toying with doing that, but also searching for a material that is water, rot and UV proof that I could work with DIY wood working tools (circular saw, router etc) - so I could just cut to shape and bolt back into place using existing fixtures.

I think I found a PVC based product that may do the job and it occurred to me you'd probs be familiar with this material given your signage biz.  This is the spec sheet.

https://www.cphgroup.com.au/store/product/product/getProductAttachmentFile?attachment_id=7000

I could probably cut everything I need from a single 2400x1200 sheet. I was thinking of using either the 10mm thickness about 16kg/sheet or 15mm thickness about 23kg/sheet depending on the mechanical strength of the stuff. I have no idea on the cost per sheet.

Do you have any experience with this material?  Do you think it would be suitable?

Appreciate your insights.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
corrected link

I don't seem to be able to open the link to the product but we use something similar occasionally called simona board which is a foam core. The light tackle station i made for my boat is made from simona and so far so good. I will also be making panels for next to the drivers seat and passenger seat using simona. I recommend sealing the edges of it with paint or similar just for piece of mind. I soaked a piece of the stuff i made my tackle station out of in water for 48hrs and it didnt take on a single drop of water.

Simona isn't cheap material but the beauty of it is theoretically you'll only be spending the money once and it should be good for the life of the boat.

It is very easily worked with your standard hand tools. I would recommend pre drilling holes in it though as in the lighter gauges it does tend to be a little bit brittle

Sorry about the trouble the link is causing - it downloads the specification sheet PDF file. 

Here is the link to the website, the PDF is in the resources tab:

https://www.cphgroup.com.au/store/c-144-substrates/c-443-celuka-board/c-444-endurex-hardened-pvc-sheet/p-607-endurex-hardened-pvc-sheet-white

I'll have a search for simona board on the web. It sounds similar to the PVC endurex stuff ... .

Cheers Z

Great stuff - I think this will be my way forward. Regarding edges - I plan to use this for the side pockets, so yes was thinking of painting the cut edge  or trimming with split PVC pipe or PVC channel (Bunnings carries the PVC square channel to fit over 12 and 16mm particle board).....

Final question - does the material have a bit of flex or will it crack if slightly bent into a gentle curve?  I think I have about a 3cm deflection across 1.5-2m.

Thanks Z

Edited by zmk1962

I thought i had some 10mm simona in stock but i dont. I have another product called gator foam which is a foam core but its far lighter and not really suitable for what you want.

Plastral supply simona in Sydney. Might be worth going for a drive to have a look at your options from them