Port Hacking - snapper

Yowie

Headed out early this morning up from Lilli Pilli to fish the deep water. A bit quiet at first, then pulled out a couple of legal reddies on squid and a flattie on a fish strip, that was released. Also a few jackets about.

Some time after the sun was up, my rod with a pillie had a big run, hooked up and the fish swam all over the place, taking plenty of line at times.. I thought it was a nice jewie, then it suddenly gave up and swam upside down to the boat, almost dead. It was the larger reddie, hooked under the gill cover. After I netted it, the ganged hooks fell out. I was happy with that fish.

As I was heading home, I thought I would have a few casts of a metal lure in the mouth of South West Arm. I had about 50 casts for the tailor - first one for a while up river - and the salmon. Kept the salmon for bait, the fillets are being salted now for strip baits. I also hooked up a trevally close to the 50cm mark. It took me into the weeds a number of times, probably trying to throw the hook - it was released . Had a few follow ups from a school of salmon, and a few hits that did not hook up - this was well after 9am, then the fish just disappeared. No fish splashing, it was just spinning blind and hoping for some thing.

All up, a good day out for a change

fish.jpeg.240.png

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Another good feed yowie and you managed a nice smallish pannie too! 😝

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Not as big as whiskers, but happy with that size pannie from up river. It was going hard on 12 pound line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Cracking bag there Yowie and a nice reddie too.

good on you for releasing the big croc to fight another day

Happy with the bag of fish. The flattie was on 12 pound handline.

1 hour ago, Welster said:

You are so consistent producing results well done.   I'd be stoked with that reddie in the river and the flattie as well.  Well done again. 

Thank you. I was thinking a jewie, but when the red colour came up under the boat, I was very happy.

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

That's a nice red for inside the bay, great lizard as well :biggrinthumb:

Don't pull out many nice reddies up river, but one like that makes it worthwhile. Nice chunky fillets compared to the smaller ones.

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Don't pull out many nice reddies up river, but one like that makes it worthwhile. Nice chunky fillets compared to the smaller ones.

Each to their own with pinkies & reddies like that size but I just cook them whole, you get everything off them that way.

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

Each to their own with pinkies & reddies like that size but I just cook them whole, you get everything off them that way.

Was thinking about cooking it whole, but only the 2 of us here, the kids have moved out. 😁

2 fillets for 2 meals. Not the normal way of filleting, such a filleting a flattie with a straight cut down the backbone. I used a round pointed knife to get right down to the bone so as not to miss any meat.

53 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Great red & mixed bag there Yowie, 👍heard of a few that size been caught during the day recently in lake Mac, must be that time of year for them

Thank you. 

I have pulled out the odd large one up river over the years, and also hooked what I thought were other good sized ones that reefed me under some rocks. They just keep swimming until they hit a patch of rocks, then no chance to get them out before the line frays.

Edited by Yowie

Well, I headed to the same spot today, early morning, and this is all I caught. The tailor was the only decent bite, all the rest were small reddies nowhere near the size limit.

Amazing what the difference is a week apart.

In the photo is a tail section of what appears to be a sand whiting, spat out by the tailor once onboard. I'm guessing that the whiting was about 30cm long. It was very fresh, no stomach decomposition so there will be a whiting swimming about very slowly and with no tail, unless another tailor finished it off. 😂

I spoke to another fisho later near the Lilli Pilli bathes, who pulled out a salmon. He said there were a few about, then the school disappeared after the school herded baitfish into the shallow water over the bank.

fish.jpeg.242.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Well, I headed to the same spot today, early morning, and this is all I caught. The tailor was the only decent bite, all the rest were small reddies nowhere near the size limit.

Amazing what the difference is a week apart.

In the photo is a tail section of what appears to be a sand whiting, spat out by the tailor once onboard. I'm guessing that the whiting was about 30cm long. It was very fresh, no stomach decomposition so there will be a whiting swimming about very slowly and with no tail, unless another tailor finished it off. 😂

I spoke to another fisho later near the Lilli Pilli bathes, who pulled out a salmon. He said there were a few about, then the school disappeared after the school herded baitfish into the shallow water over the bank.

fish.jpeg.242.png

Looks like the leather jackets are back in town. I will get ready for the bite offs.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Franco said:

Looks like the leather jackets are back in town. I will get ready for the bite offs.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Threw back the same number, as they were too small to keep.