Port Stephens- I found whiskers! Yewwww

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

This post is a little inspiration for those wanting to head up to Port Stephens for a meet and greet. 
Headed out with a mate this morning to some sloppy and blowy conditions. It’s been a real struggle of late and you pretty much need to get your fish at first light or there gone. 
Didn’t stop for bait and pulled up to our first mark and did two drifts without a touch. Moved around the corner and I finally come up tight to a nice 50. A few more casts for nothing so we move again to a more promising spot. My mate was technically ok with plastics but a little tweaking and soon he gets hammered a line peels off. A good fight and into the net goes a just on 70 model. Yesssssssss! 

I “just kept casting” and soon had another 55 to the box as my mate played with some rat kings. 
Move again and this time it was my turn for the rats. Had enough there so we hit the next mark which was devoid of bait and any sign of good fish. 
Then we move to an area I’ve fished many times for decent pannies and I cast out, whack!!!! This thing is pulling line and screaming just under the surface, oh finally a decent king I think. Then I managed to stop its progress and then I can feel the signs of a huge snapper. The heart started to beat a little faster but I could feel I had a solid hook up. I started winning some line and then it started to get some back which went on for quite some time until I finally see colour. With sore arms and the knees now knocking, my mate reaches out with the net and boom! Another cracking 95cm of Broughton Island caught snapper! 
After a few high 5’s, giggles and wow moments, we composed ourselves and started casting again. A few more were added to the box but then we called it a day just before midday! 
Another cracking day in Port Stephens!!! 

Time: 9:40

Tide: two hours after low

Gear: shimano ultegra 5000 with 20lb fins braid and 20lb black magic fluro leader, 1/4 5/0 tt jig and a 7 inch gulp garlicker. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

533B6D7D-4C7C-4FC9-B4EB-EA3D7C2FF7F7.thumb.jpeg.af7e45d14fd0847f90b022618bf5951f.jpeg

2A05A98B-E07C-45A7-9279-CF20EF85E264.thumb.jpeg.6d786634d554e5c73f86a86383899ac1.jpeg

E6B01186-CC12-4FBA-AD94-483160BC6C99.thumb.jpeg.a017c7ef85977fe1c8e7a4359dbae3e0.jpeg

• Like 26

Thats an absolute pearler Jeff, congrats.

Does that better your PB/record?

How do you know its whiskers?

I would have thought if it was whiskers you'd have found some of your old jigheads still attached to him 😜😝😁

Im still surprised you can bring a fish like that in with 20lb!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff again, Jeff! I was working in the garden. 🤷‍♂️
Was this the same one you weighed at Brent’s shop earlier? “8.5kg... caught on a Boom Bait 5 inch forking jerk... in smoking shad colour”? 🤔 I guess I know what lures he’s trying to sell! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Thats an absolute pearler Jeff, congrats.

Does that better your PB/record?

How do you know its whiskers?

I would have thought if it was whiskers you'd have found some of your old jigheads still attached to him 😜😝😁

Im still surprised you can bring a fish like that in with 20lb!

Thanks mate! No, it actually equals my record. Whiskers or his brother either way I’ll take it. 
Its actually heart in mouth stuff on 20lb and requires a few technical things so you don’t lose it. 

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report as usual. Super Photos. Well done.

Thanks Rebel 

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Just an oversized pannie not much bigger than mine of yesterday. 😂🤣😝

Congratulations on a great fish.

Haha yowie!! I just need to find a pan to fit mine in! 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done mate,that’s an aaaawwwwwwsssssoooommmme snapper.

Cheers Mick! We’ve lost a few so about time we won one! 

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff again, Jeff! I was working in the garden. 🤷‍♂️
Was this the same one you weighed at Brent’s shop earlier? “8.5kg... caught on a Boom Bait 5 inch forking jerk... in smoking shad colour”? 🤔 I guess I know what lures he’s trying to sell! 😂

Thanks Baz but you can’t catch snapper on your garden! 😂

Ill let you decide but I never lie on fishraider 🤔

1 hour ago, Admis said:

Cracking fish scratchie was this the same fish that was photographed at brents shop? cracking fish mate keep it up

Thanks mate sure was! 

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Just a jaw dropping WOW. Awesome fish. 
Congrats !!!

cheers Zoran

Cheers Zoran. Port Stephens always seems to throw up something! 👍

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Thats a cracker of a Red Scratchie, great stuff. 👍

Thanks champ

45 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

That is a cracking red mate.......f%#k me !!!!!

Well done, looks like conditions werent the best based on you photo

Cheers Sam! Conditions were sloppy at times and settled for our trip home. Thank god, cos my back and arms were sore by then! I’m getting old 😩

8 minutes ago, Aerialangler said:

Awesome fish!! 

CONGRATULATIONS MATE! 

thanks for your detailed report 

Thanks Kent! 

1 minute ago, swordfisherman said:

Prawn on a jig head?

Haha! I’ve evolved mate but that still works! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Its actually heart in mouth stuff on 20lb and requires a few technical things so you don’t lose it. 

I think that 'technical thing' is called skill mate 😉

I'll show you how to land the magic metery in September, whiskers father.

But I think I might have to use 30lb leader, due to my lack of skill :whistling:🤣

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

Know that’s a snapper, I was elated & devastated when I read wiskers had been caught but that must be his sister (no jewellery or scars) well done on what must be close if not your PB 👍👍 giddy up September great,great photos & write up😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Know that’s a snapper, I was elated & devastated when I read wiskers had been caught but that must be his sister (no jewellery or scars) well done on what must be close if not your PB 👍👍 giddy up September great,great photos & write up😎

Cheers Dieter! It actually ties my PB. Definitely bring on September 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

You forgot my cycle size which is usually 20-25cm.

Caught a 1000 of the b!@#ards 😅

Haha 😂 Don’t worry, we catch those small ones sometimes too. They can be rather aggressive at times! If I have to measure it, it goes back! 

11 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

For those of you interested here is the life cycle of a snapper in one photo! They certainly do grow exponentially. 
One is 40, 50, 60, 70, and 95

8999B065-C2D3-4244-A960-8C2C13CC3D27.thumb.jpeg.cb1e1fedfe6003f1abdf1216250641d2.jpeg

Great photo, Jeff  I reckon it’s going to attract a lot of FR’s in for the September get together 🥳

Better book the whole pub out

15 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

You forgot my cycle size which is usually 20-25cm.

Caught a 1000 of the b!@#ards 😅

Adrian that little one compared to wiskers sibling looks like one of those thousands we’ve all tossed back

• Like 3

Well done Scratchie,

That report and the photos should confirm Big Neils booking for September - better get his accommodation sorted!!!

Has anyone landed the magic metery on plastics??

Hoods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hoods said:

Well done Scratchie,

That report and the photos should confirm Big Neils booking for September - better get his accommodation sorted!!!

Has anyone landed the magic metery on plastics??

Hoods

Thanks mate! And hopefully BN does make it up here. 
To my knowledge I don’t know anyone that has landed one on plastics. I’ve been fortunate enough to land two at that size. The only snapper bigger than this that I know of landed up here in the last 5 years was a 107cm and 14.7kg on bait and is the NSW record! 

• Like 1

Thanks Scratchie,

Had a large model like that follow a smaller one up under the boat years ago off Crowdy. Still have the mark so I have something to aim for!!

I bet you were weak in the knees when that monster popped its head up.

I take it you use the same technique for all snapper on SP's

• Like 1