After Lack of Results at Brown's .. back to Flathead Grounds for a feed

Fishingwazza2019

Hi  … (first time posting … hope it is interesting) 

After a big trip to Brown's Mountain (Thursday, June 11)  from Woy Woy Bay with lack of results, Gil decided he needed a feed of flathead. So as the weather was looking good for Tuesday, June 16 (NW <10knots , Swell <1m) I was given a call to join  .. which never takes much to convince me. Forecast was for wind to come up in the afternoon, so thought a few hours fishing would be good. 

So all packed up and ready to go, headed around to Gil's at 7:30am (Note: One challenge each time we go out in the 25ft Bertie, is the tide under Woy Woy Train Bridge, but Gil has it sorted to within  100mm clearance .. always interesting). So we got going around 8am (tide not quite as low as expected) after removing the flybridge steering wheel, giving us plenty of clearance .. 100mm or less.

Well, the weather gods didn't quite get things right, wind in morning was more like 15-20+ knots, requiring sea anchor and heavy weights for fishing, but Bertie is very stable so we decided to stay. Fishing was slow, and we were about to go inside, then I hooked a nice keeper 45cm+ (we tend to throw back anything under 40cm) . So decided to stay fishing, and when Gil caught another couple of similar size, seemed like the right decision. Although usual marks were not productive, we moved around to find some fish and eventually came home with nine flathead and one whiting, so a good feed. Gil 6 + Whiting, and I got 3. 

Fish of the day I should mention was a big female at 75cm (yes by Gil)  , and being a good breeder and fat, we decided photo, kiss and return to make more babies was best.

All in all again a nice day on the water .. till next time .. 

Cheers

Wazza

IMG_1625.JPG

• Like 7

Nice report, sounds like you were out there with Zoran having a crack in the deep.

I know your from Woy Woy but sometimes there better action in close if you look at those recent reports in the last few days from longreef.

Still I know you cant get blue eye or gemmies at longreef. 

Good on you for putting the big girl back.

Better luck next time & thanks for the report :biggrinthumb:

• Like 1

Great first report Wazza !!! ... you and Gil are certainly superkeen fishos .... I don't think I know any others that would actually dismantle their boat to get to the fishing grounds ... that's got to be a first ! 🤔

Nice job on the release.... but please make sure you leave some at those grounds for ME !!!!

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice report, sounds like you were out there with Zoran having a crack in the deep.

I know your from Woy Woy but sometimes there better action in close if you look at those recent reports in the last few days from longreef.

Still I know you cant get blue eye or gemmies at longreef. 

Good on you for putting the big girl back.

Better luck next time & thanks for the report :biggrinthumb:

Thanks  .. Yes out there with Zoran a mate from Castle Hill.. The 25 Bertie is Gil's , I have a YaltaCraft 555HC … So we alternate in which we take out .. Though I go to the boat ramp and don't have to remove flybridge steering 🙂 .. Might have to catch you at Long reef some time …  Cheers 

Edited by Fishingwazza2019
Addition of comment
  • Like 1