Ramsgate Beach 18 June 2020

LandBasedKeith

Meant to goes on Tuesday as the condition are perfect but didn't due to work commitment. Then windy and raining the next day, no go either. Today's condition isn't perfect but forced myself to go out to get some sun the least. Still got the old weed meant for Tuesday but decided to get some fresh one and use the old weed for burley. 

Arrived at Ramsgate Beach at noon and was surprised that beach side parking area were now opened. Low wind but blew in from the ocean usually meant everything shut down from past experiences. And exactly that, not a single bite from blackfish, bait fish or those pesky little snapper. 

My blackfish float went down only after one hour later and landed a 30cm blackfish. And then nothing for the next 2 hours. Then i started getting bites again and landed a 34cm blackfish.  Other fisho started to turn up. Two guys are lure fishing near my groyne and after almost an hour, they managed i think is a flathead and left. The flathead isn't big, probably just legal as it is too far to see. I guess something is always better than nothing to take home.

I managed 3 more backfishes(29cm, 32cm and 35cm) during the next 2 hours. 1 hour before sunset, two more guys joined me the end of the groyne using bread fishing for trevally. It didn't take them long to score one legal trevally each and then it went quite for bit. Must be a school swim by and they didn't burley, the school disappear just as quick. Then the sun went down, so i gave up on blackfish and joined our friends chasing trevally. Instead of bread, i am using yellowtail flesh. Not as appealing to trevally but it should catch me something. And that something is a 24cm yellotail scad. I think i am a lot happier catching this yellowtail than a trevally. In all my blackfish trip, i always bring a small portion of yellowtail flesh with me for emergency(catching live bait) and today i am down to my very last pack. Catching this yellow meaning i got enough at least for the next four trips, so happy!

Then hit after hit but nothing landed. Lost 3 hooks in a row to those pesky tailors, all decent weight. Got pi**, see the opportunity and shift to my hardbody lure quickly. And after 3 throws, i landed a 47cm tailor! And after that, landed a few more tailors but all undersized except one just legal and all released.  All lights are out, time to go home.

If it won't for those blackfishes in the live net, i may stayed a bit longer. But leaving them in the water at night may risk losing them all. In one occasion in the past, i left a tailor and a flathead (both quite a good size) in the live net at night. And when i fetch them out of the water, they are crawling with flesh eating sea roaches(i think that is what they are) like out of a horror movie. I had encountered this sea roaches a few more time, always at night and never pleasant experiences.  

Fishing20200619.JPG.a14abd1c35a55207ad5379ac5c9a8b87.JPG

Edited by LandBasedKeith
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Are these the roaches you are talking about?

KB

nbv.JPG

Would not be them. The critters Keith would probably be referring to are similar looking but usually around 3 to 6 mm long, very mobile swimmers and they live in the sand. Something like a sea louse - many species in the family. 

Any smell of fish or other food and they swim straight out of the sand and onto it. They will even attack your legs if you are standing near them and cleaning fish in the water. I have been bitten a few times by them.

• Like 1