Luderick fishing spot Sydney harbour - Beginner

Praga

Hi Guys,

I am new to fishing and reading the forums for a couple of months since registered.

I tried fishing for luderick couple of times before lock down based on tips from fishraider and caught one. I am planning to give it a go this weekend along with my kid. Just wondering if anyone can help me with a luderick spot in and around sydney harbour which is less crowded and safe for kids.

Ferry wharves aren't THAT crowded on a Sunday in my experience and you fish on the side away from the ferry anyway.

Just be tidy, take up minimal space and you'll be right.  We often get ppl coming for a chat or just a look see.

Be aware some wharves have no fishing before a certain time I think eg Abbotsford is a nogo before 10am

Good luck, hope you and the kids have a good time!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Praga said:

Hi Guys,

I am new to fishing and reading the forums for a couple of months since registered.

I tried fishing for luderick couple of times before lock down based on tips from fishraider and caught one. I am planning to give it a go this weekend along with my kid. Just wondering if anyone can help me with a luderick spot in and around sydney harbour which is less crowded and safe for kids.

Hi Praga like Burger says, wharf fishing is OK on Sundays, some wharves like Cremorne are really hard to fish during the week due to multiple ferry arrivals. Bradleys Head old stone wall below the mast of the Sydney isn't a bad spot, and there are also Leatherjackets that can be fished for on your Luderick set-up if Luderick are a no-show. There is also a small fort to have a look at as you near the end of the road down.

The old stone wall was a premier spot when there was a wharf attached to the end of the wall, but it still fishes OK, as travelling schools often sit on the Harbour Bridge side. Fish half tide in to half out 8-11 ft deep under your float and weed is generally better there, due to there's a lot of short weed growing along there.

Best of luck if you try

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys, Thank you for your much-valued inputs. I decided to go to spit bridge this afternoon since it will enable me to try squid jigging in the night :) I will let you all know how it went.

• Like 1

Most wharfs around Balmain, seen good ones caught at Elliot st wharf among the pylons,Hunters Hill valentia st left hand side, ferry st & Clark’s point, Pulpit point all produce & are reasonably quiet & as Waza mentioned have leather jackets 

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Thanks 1

What you can also do is take some Servo prawns and if the Blackfish are quiet put a piece of prawn on the same rig and you may catch some Leatherjackets or other critters and that makes it fun stopping boredom for Kids.

It's great watching the Float go down even if its not the target species.

Hi Guys, Went to spit bridge today and no luck with catching Blackfish. It may be because I was using bread since I am not able to find weed near my area (Ryde). Caught one legal bream and few small ones :)