Flushing motor next day

Muzza6411

Hi to all, was thinking that in summer I’d like to go fishing at night instead of the heat of the day,,,my dilemma is how do I flush my motor out late at night and wake up the neighbours,,,could I say maybe do it 8 hrs later during daylight ours,,will this be alright still in terms of the motor??

Yes. Flush a bit longer for peace of mind. flush with fresh water supply. 

Don’t over think this or worry about it too much.

Just think of all the moored boats with outboards how do they flush? Think of all the guys whose fish overnight at times (like me).   
Do it as soon as you can and flush a bit longer. It’s worked for me. 20+ years on current outboard. 

cheers Zoran 

• Thanks 1

Most modern motors have a built in flush port that doesn't require running the motor, what sort of fishing are you intending to do? I find most common species go off the bite after dark.

hahaha ... you guys are funny .... obviously they may be your offshore night target species ... me I'm too scared to be offshore at night so I like to stay in the beautiful Hawkesbury estuary and focus on hairtail .. jew ... bream .... etc

Here's an example of an overnight bream from the hawkesbury ... 45cm ...one of 4 caught that night ... 

image.png.f4fc27f696f4fbdebca84ef9503beb1c.png

But all way off topic to the OP .... hahaha

cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962
  • Thanks 1

It won’t be off shore, it will be in the Hawkesbury close to home, I’m getting all led lights inside and under the gunnels, I think Zoran has read my mind,,,

my motor is a 2002 yamy 40 hp 2 stroke so I can only flush with the muffs...

I would prefer to flush & wash straight after, is there no taps at the ramp??

Worst case I'd be running salt away through the motor & also using it to spray the boat & trailer the following day which will at least remove/neutralize all salt deposits.

Edited by kingie chaser

5 hours ago, Muzza6411 said:

Hi to all, was thinking that in summer I’d like to go fishing at night instead of the heat of the day,,,my dilemma is how do I flush my motor out late at night and wake up the neighbours,,,could I say maybe do it 8 hrs later during daylight ours,,will this be alright still in terms of the motor??

The next day is fine, we have weekends away on the Hawkesbury and the 3 boats don't get flushed till the Sunday night, If I have to flush my motor I did once put it in the garage with the doors shut, saved the neighbours but did create a waterery mess.

Now I just flush it the next morning and use Saltaway n every 2nd or 3rd flush or use the flush port.

• Thanks 1

Òk to flush next day.  You only get issues when salt water dries out in engine.  You only have to look at all those outboards on boats moored on the water that don't get flushed.  When you do flush, do so for at least 5 minutes as you need to get motor hot enough to open the thermostat or no water will get to the top of the power head which is where your trying to clean.  Ron 

• Thanks 1

A few of us on the mid north coast take our own hose & fittings etc & flush/wash at the launching facilities while the motor is warm. Might not be a good idea if the ramp is in a residential area though late at night.

Most were removed because of the reason behind this post, residents kicked up a storm to councils about people flushing motors at all hours, nothing like an old 2 stroke "cackle" at 2AM to get a local mad and ready to "attack"

• Like 1