Out from Sydney Harbour Friday Morning

saltrix

As we had not been out for a while we took the good weather forecasty as a chance to catch some fish.

There was  a bit of a westerlyearly on but it soon eased.1118263261_sunriseFri.thumb.JPG.42531a7fefd0ead6b31f9eea4351efd6.JPG

48830529_laterFri.thumb.jpg.68e9196ed028dcae0fdf3eb332897ea4.jpg

The fishing was a bit slow, there was a whale which surfaced too close to our boat and gave us a suprise but I was not quick enough to get a picture, but the albertross were around as the giant cuttle are dying and at this time the albertross hang around waiting to feed on them as they float to the surface dead after laying there eggs. 

y835062132_Alb1fri.thumb.jpg.8a5075b4f827d52fd62fee7bd3a6e449.jpg1137082610_alb2fri.thumb.jpg.434acb7459efc267414992a9a95c8937.jpg

This was our combined catch apart from Sergeant Baker,  2 shovel nose sharks, and numerous spikey flathead and us snapper which were returned.

The reds were only just over the legal size but the flathead were good ones.

1725892150_FishFri.thumb.JPG.453d80b18d42ee5f3cf3f8b298c3ad39.JPG

• Like 5

Yummo. Good tucker great relaxing day on water by sounds of it. I swear I have seen that albatross before !!! Couple of times at barrenjoey wide and the other time at Browns. Yup. Just looked at picture again it’s the same one for sure...

cheers Zoran 

In reply to your questions

After trolling North Head and some of the harbour for zero we headed out to DY wide and fished the bottom in about 50 m in our usual grounds where we often bag out on the flathead, but they were very quite and the spikeys were quick to hook up, even on spikey bait.  
There was only a very slight current as even with the westerly blowing the gps showed us moving at about 1 knot, and less when it eased. That might have been the problem as it seems a bit of movement improves the catch of the bigger fish.

• Like 1

Good report, photos & feed 

might be worthwhile to starting bottom bouncing in shallower water on your way out

Around the cooler months I’ve picked up blue spots in 20 to 30m & even inside the mouth of broken bay just prior to spring 

Thanks for that tip, we have tried closer in a few times but not done good, but will give it another go in winter.

On the south side it is sometimes good for bluespots about 2km south and out in about 40-50 metres. Red spot whiting are often there too.