Strange Crustacean (Mantis Shrimp)

Berleyguts

Question

We found this crustacean that we’ve never seen before with some Aussie king prawns purchased from Woolworths today. Any idea what it is? I’ve put in the freezer in case I need to send it off to Fisheries.

(I wanted to put it in tonight’s laksa with the prawns, or at least in a stock, but the missus didn’t want a bar of it! 😂).

Photographed alongside a teaspoon for scale.

0D60FBD7-2641-4259-B0B7-85A8F9C9A474.jpeg

907DB3CD-0DE1-4419-9D85-788993FF8094.jpeg

052D0379-2197-4338-B671-05468F045DCF.jpeg

EC0AFBE0-C58D-4DB7-9687-8814586C3CF2.jpeg

E3E76522-F59D-4E92-B9DC-437172A726FC.jpeg

Edited by Blackfish

11 answers to this question

It's a Mantis Shrimp there BG.

Now there's lots of different Types, around 125 in Australia so as to that one, got Nuffin mate.

I found them up the NSW coast living in the zone where I've been Beach Worming so they turn up everywhere.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 1

Mantis shrimp make up a significant part of the diet of small Mulloway and are sold frozen as "killers". Several years ago they were on the front page of the Telegraph under the heading of "New Species Discovered in Sydney Harbour"- which made us all laugh as we used to get them live from Drummoyne Bait shop and have caught them several times on live prawns. They are often seen in summer scooting around lit wharves like Taronga Park.

• Like 2

I guess if you'd never seen one before you would be cautious, as we are aware there are some pretty poisonous sea creatures out there.

A bit like many of the weird crustaceans out their, scampi, morton bay bugs, yabbies etc.  

Would be just as nice & sweet as the prawns, probably sweeter!

They were for sale the other day when I went to the local fish market for $24kg!!

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/mantis-shrimp-garlic-and-chilli

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I guess if you'd never seen one before you would be cautious, as we are aware there are some pretty poisonous sea creatures out there.

A bit like many of the weird crustaceans out their, scampi, morton bay bugs, yabbies etc.  

Would be just as nice & sweet as the prawns, probably sweeter!

They were for sale the other day when I went to the local fish market for $24kg!!

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/mantis-shrimp-garlic-and-chilli

Hi KC next time you see them that cheap buy a few! You're a gourmet chef, I bet you could turn them into a wonderful dish. 

I bought some real big ones one year to take up for the "Greenback" tournament at Cabarita Beach (there are other species prizes on offer also) and thought they might be good for some Jew. My mate's wife spotted them and said you guys won't even use them, you should leave them here and we'll put them on the bbq.

We did- they are really nice to eat, like a giant sweet prawn

• Like 1