2020 the lockdown months - has fishraider helped you?

mrsswordfisherman

Hi all,

I have watched lots of old members visiting and posting again since we all started lockdown. Some have been viewing as a guset for 10 years and suddenly joined us to post and contribute. It is something positive that has come out of this enforced stat we have all been in. Thought I would check and share some stats.

Some stats Jan to June 2020:

• most people still visit via desktop closely followed by mobile
  • registrations more than last year
  • member visits increased 100%
  • member posts increased 100%
  • reactions increased 

Top Content reaction (likes, thanks, haha)  - these were posts by @Scratchie (plus his snapper article), @JonD, @rickmarlin62, @mrsswordfisherman, @Jnr Scratchie, @The Rev, @kingfish101 to name a few.

Best reaction giver @Berleyguts2,525 wowowo, @big Neil, @mrsswordfisherman, @wazatherfisherman, @GoingFishing, @61 crusher, @kingie chaser, @antonywardle, @Blackfish, @JonD, @zmk1962

Thanks very much to the above members for encouraging others and of course all of you who posts and contribute to our wonderful community. 

I also changed things so you should see your badges in your signature on your smartphones :1clap:

I would like to get some ideas from you all regarding what sort of info or educational things you might like to know about. The articles section still has to be set up for us to use and we can add to that section. For example I became quite interested in Hairtail and would like some info on the science of things where do they go?? 

Is there something that we can share on fishraider? Give me some topics you might be interested in.

Cheers

mrsswordie 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to 2020 the lockdown months - has fishraider helped you?

In answer to the question "has Fishraider helped you during the lockdown?" Most definitely it has helped me in what I consider to be a particularly tough time. Fishing in my region has been terrible for quite some time due to the continued drought and low water conditions where I usually fish. The river is in poor health (in general). Strangely enough the impact of the pandemic is minimal where I live in regional Australia. Whilst I (and everybody else) have been following all the necessary procedures, the impact has been very minimal indeed. Being able to stay in contact with other anglers ( on Fishraider) has been extremely beneficial to my general wellbeing, especially during the time when we were all confined to home, except for special circumstances. I am sure that most of us would have benefitted from the site during those months. The figures would certainly indicate so.

Regarding suggestions to improve the site and its impact on users, I can only suggest encouraging everybody who THINKS ABOUT POSTING to actually do so. It really isn't a painful experience and most users would either have something to contribute or something to ask and learn about. How we go about getting members to become more involved, I'm not really sure. Maybe that could be something that others may have an opinion on.

I will continue to think of other possible ways to improve the site and look forward to reading other members suggestions. Scratchie has come up with one that could benefit the wider angling community.

Cheers, bn

• Like 6

Well in my opinion the greatest thing that helps a forum is face recognition and mateships. get togethers, meet and greets. Just like the ones organised by Fishraider and Scratchie and others, the Hairtail weekends and soft plastics meet and greet etc. I still have get togethers with old forum mates from 20 years ago and a lot have become great personal friends and a couple are like brothers to me.

The few from fishraider I have attended I have met many great blokes that when they post, it's not just reading something somebody said it's I know that person ! and the post means a whole lot more to me because I can put a face and personality to the post.

Frank

• Like 7

In answer to the question has Fishraider helped during the lock-down, for me, it's a HUGE yes. I've been at home for near 4 months, other than two trips to the Dr and chemist. All food is delivered and any bills paid via the computer. Only had a couple of visitors during this time- one being Raider DerekD, who also talks to me every week on the phone, so isolation with my house-mate I guess is the same for me as everyone.

During the last few months, by posting stories of times past, some of my old fishing mates (some are Raiders) have reconnected with me and plans are to get together when this is all over.

Writing posts about "yesteryear" has also given me something positive and constructive to do and am seriously considering putting all these stories in book form- something I never would have considered without the positive feedback I've received, was really just trying to contribute things for folk to read, about things they probably don't know a great deal about, like fishing the big cliffs.

It's also given plenty of time to go through heaps of interesting and informative topics on the site and learned plenty of things from looking at old posts.

Agree with the comments from Scratchie, Big Neil and Frank S- this is a really unique community and having met all three guys and quite a few other Raiders, we're all in great company and I'm really happy to be a Raider.

Regards Waza

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Donna, Tamworth has been pretty much corona free. I work in the agricultural sector so I've been busy through the lockdown.  All the fishing reports and information sheared on this site keeps me going after pretty much 8months of fire,flood,and the virus. Love the trivia too. I hope when it's all over we all become better people and better fishraiders.love your story's wazza  keep them coming mate. 

Cheers Scotty 🤙

IMG_5493.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

Edited by scottyboy
  • Like 6

Not having been able to go fishing since feb  with covid and some family issues and working non stop  fishraider has been a go to many times a day to keep me sane and see what the lucky few are up to   good to see so many raiders catching during these tuff times  not just reports but great stories from waz  help the days go by  i WILL be getting my boat nack in the water very soon and hope to give SCRATCHIE something to beat  haha sorry jeff   nah  anything on the line will be good  i hope our fishing meet at port stephens goes well this year  i think everyone could use a pikmeup   tight lines rick

• Like 6

Raiders I am loving these comments and please keep them coming. 

I know we are still relevant as a community. The facebook groups became boring and just people blowing their own trumpets or arguing about politics. I don't find I learn too much from them.

Just know that that we have lots of eyes on our community. We will maintain our focus on being family friendly, sharing of info and helping to beginners in our sport. We are all equal on here men, women and young folk all enjoying fishing and boating. 

Myself and mods keep the playing field level - thanks particularly to @Scratchie who puts in a lot of time and posts his fishing exploits 

That works for us all :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

In answer to the question has Fishraider helped during the lock-down, for me, it's a HUGE yes. I've been at home for near 4 months, other than two trips to the Dr and chemist. All food is delivered and any bills paid via the computer. Only had a couple of visitors during this time- one being Raider DerekD, who also talks to me every week on the phone, so isolation with my house-mate I guess is the same for me as everyone.

@wazatherfisherman I think your posts help others as much as they help you. Obviously the best therapy is to go fishing, but at various points this year, that hasn't been an option for us. Next best option is watching people fish. Then the third best option is to read about other people's adventures. Your adventures in the years go by far surpass anything I would ever have dared to do and probably will never do. So it's great to hear your stories for a different perspective on our chosen sport.

I for one could be interested in a book.

@mrsswordfisherman as one of the members who has returned after a relatively long hiatus, thanks for keeping the community going. Though I'm a fraction of the fisho I used to be, it is always nice to have this community a few clicks away.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Myself and mods keep the playing field level - thanks particularly to @Scratchie who puts in a lot of time and posts his fishing exploits 

That works for us all :)

Thanks Donna. And this site does not function without YOU, period! 

It has been great to see returning members and certainly a lot of new members entering the forum. 
After all this time I still love reading everyone’s fishing reports and the amount of help offered either in the chat section or someone needing help with boat issues is just awesome! 

What a great community we have here and that is why we outlast all others! 

Tight lines all, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Since I joined in 2008 the stats on how many times I've opened up fishraider would be scary, I often haven't had much to post and in the early days I was probably a little hesitant but I have gained so much from being a member here far more than I have contributed for sure. 

I am a bit surprised that the desktop is still the most common log in.   

For me if anything I have dropped of a little lately due to so much going on and I have also struggled to get out on the water for a lot of reasons.  I do think fishraider as a forum And member quality is far superior to anything Facebook can dish up.  

I agree with @Scratchie about the tagging and @frankS about the added connection for members we have met.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

has fishraider helped me during lockdown?

kinda... it got me searching and seeing all these pics, I ended up buying a boat.

so while it may have helped me, I don't think it helped my relationship with the mrs :P

• Haha 4