Salmon off the rocks

Yon

I’ve been following that large school of salmon currently hanging around the eastern suburbs beaches for the past couple of weeks, but they’ve been out of casting range for me or I’ve just had the wrong gear. 
Anyway, I headed over to a local tackle shop and bought two new lures, one of the expensive slow jigging ones and a simple 40g metal. 
This morning I talked my mate into braving the rain and out we went chasing fish again. Lost the expensive Japanese shore jigging model on my first cast. Gutted. Not much action after that so we moved on. 
On the way to the next spot a mate jogged past and told us that there’s a huge school of salmon around the other side of the headland, so off we went. Unfortunately these too were out of casting range and the rain and swell were intense. 
We were about to give up 30 min later when the rain stopped, the swell dropped and the school turned around!

Cleats on, down to the rocks and second cast I hooked up. After that it was a fish every couple of casts until my arms started to hurt.
In total we caught about 12 salmon between us, landed 6 big healthy fish and kept 5. 

My daughter mixed up her famous beer batter when I got home and we fed 6 families tonight. Still got a third of the fish for dinner during the week  

Dogs got the oily red meat and frames will be used for berley. Nothing wasted. 

Honestly I think that this is the best day fishing I’ve had. The prep, finding the school, catching them and the good company on what ended up being a gorgeous day. 
I’m not an overly reflective person, but seriously, how lucky are we to live here...

8202DD95-1A7E-4709-849C-F972DB2A9405.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Nice report Yon. Good onya for getting out in the rain (with ur mate) and persisting until you caught something. Great that you managed to feed everyone. Days like that will be in the memory bank for a long time. Thanks for sharing your story, bn

• Like 1

They are pretty good eating if fresh, and all the blood meat cut off, most say "you can't eat them" when in fact, they have never tried, I do mine in smaller fish "cocktails" so they cook quick and they are good.

25 minutes ago, noelm said:

They are pretty good eating if fresh, and all the blood meat cut off, most say "you can't eat them" when in fact, they have never tried, I do mine in smaller fish "cocktails" so they cook quick and they are good.

I love them. We eat them as sashimi, fish 'n chips, fish tacos, smoked - you name it. They're very versatile and have a great flake. 

My fav is Moroccan Fish Stew - simply can't be beaten. It will fill you and warm your body on a cold winter night. If you've never had it, it's the easiest recipe there is:

Ingredients

• Filet of white fish, like basa or Perch 1
  • Crushed tomatoes (or one can) 3
  • Tomato puree 2 small cans
  • Garlic 8 cloves
  • Coriander 1 bunch
  • Green Bell pepper 2
  • Red Bell pepper 2
  • Spicy red Peppers 6
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Pre-mixed fish spice

Directions

1.Soak fish in freshly squeezed lemon juice for several hours prior to cooking

2.Cut bell peppers, Coriander and Garlic into thin strips and sweat in the bottom of your pot in olive oil for 10 min

3.Cut tomatoes into strips and add, along with the Tomato puree into the pot, cook for 10 more minutes

4.Cut fish into cubes, dress with salt, pepper and fish spices to taste and add to pot

5.Cook for 15 minutes serve over rice or on its own.

@Yon, thanks for the recipe but really it will get lost amongst all the fishing reports.

To give all members a better chance of see anything food/recipe related you are better off posting things like this in the right place-

https://www.fishraider.com.au/forum/42-the-kitchen/

Also what is pre mix fish spices??

I know what I would use spice wise in a Moroccan dish but it doesn't help the majority of people, just saying.

Would be great if you could re start this recipe in the "kitchen" :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Onya Yon - Love catching salmon, real string pullers. 
 Rain can be great to fish in, stays overcast and encourages pelagics to hang around, keeps those who are half hearted inside and you don’t melt in the rain.