Slow Roast Beef Brisket

Jiggy

Brisket is one of those cuts of meat that needs to be cooked slow otherwise it's tough. It's often one of the prime cuts for long slow smoking and, lets be honest, a slice of brisket that's been slow smoked is pretty awesome. If like me you aren't geared up to do long slow smoking try this next time you a mood for some brisket:

Season (dry rub, salt, pepper whatever you prefer)  then put in the fridge overnight. If possible rest on a rack so that it stays dry.

Pre heat your oven to 165 C.

Slice up an union than fry that in butter until it softens then add some garlic, rosemary and a cup of apple juice. Cook until the juice is reduced by half. Put half on this in a roasting tray, put the brisket on top then pour the rest over the brisket. You want the brisket to be fat side up.

Cover the tin in foil then bake in the oven for 1.5 hours. After this reduce to 120 C and cook for another 2.5 hours.

What you get is very tender, juicy and tasty. I've done this with just salt and pepper and it's great. Largest brisket I've cooked like this is 2.5 kilos but larger should be fine; maybe cook for a little longer.

• Like 1

I love brisket & have cooked it a few different ways.

Dry rubs are essential but every cook/chef will have their own version, I would use sweet paprika, cayenne, black pepper, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, sea salt flakes, brown sugar.

There are some really good premade mixes around if you don't want to buy all the separate ingredients.

If I am going to cook it in the oven I will seal/brown the meat either in a pan or on a BBQ. 

Put it in a tray, wrap & cook it for 12 hours or more @ 80*C depending on the size.

The slower the cook the less shrinkage & loss of moisture.

Always let it rest for at least an hour if not 2 before slicing.

This is based on a 5 to 6kg brisket.

Doing  a brisket in a smoker is a whole other story again

Anyway here is a master class lesson from the legend himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpV4_rK_XYM

Edited by kingie chaser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...