VHF and 27mhz radios

Blade

Hi Raiders, 

I have recently bought a 2nd hand boat and it came with both a 27mhz and VHF radio. Is there a reason to have both or can I just run the VHF and same some dash space. The 27mhz doesn't seem to be working properly so it will need some TLC. 

Cheers 

There are several reasons NOT to use the 27MHz...

they are only 4 watts (VHF is 25W)

They are AM and subject to interference (VHF is FM)

27M is subject to atmospheric conditions that do strange things.  I'm in Adelaide, on one occassion on the water I could not reach a mate that I could see on the horizon... I could however talk to a bloke on Moreton Bay...

Marine Rescue is considering not monitoring 27M.  VHF is an international safety standard and is monitored 24/365.25

• Thanks 1

when i originally fitted out my boat back in 2011 i operated on the theory of redundancy- so i have a VHF and a 27- ive never actually used the 27 but its there- i also have 2 bilge pumps, extra rope, 2 batteries - actually 4 now with the electric motor, 2 screens both of which can be used as gps and sounder, two transducers- you get the picture- having back up is a good idea, if the 27 works leave it there, if it doesnt have a think about it.

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

when i originally fitted out my boat back in 2011 i operated on the theory of redundancy- so i have a VHF and a 27- ive never actually used the 27 but its there- i also have 2 bilge pumps, extra rope, 2 batteries - actually 4 now with the electric motor, 2 screens both of which can be used as gps and sounder, two transducers- you get the picture- having back up is a good idea, if the 27 works leave it there, if it doesnt have a think about it.

Nothing wrong with being safe-- instead of 27M (I took mine out) I carry a hand-held VHF too.

I still have both and there have been occasions with the VHF particularly in the Crookhaven river where i haven't been able to reach VMR Shoalhaven to sign off and have just jumped on the 27meg and its worked perfectly. On this 27meg dies though ill just run a second VHF

9 hours ago, Blade said:

The 27mhz doesn't seem to be working properly so it will need some TLC. 

Good points above, its does pay in most situations to have a back up.

I know when I go bush I have 2 or 3 uhf's, 2 GPS's plus paper maps etc.

What are the issues your having with the 27mhz?

Could be bad aereal connection if your getting static?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

Old boat had both new boat didn't. I didn't bother moving the 27mHz.

The fishing club use 27mHz for chatting and you don't need a license for it. VHF you need a license if you want to use DSC, and to use DSC you need an MMSI, and to get an MMSI, you need a license. Marine Radio License

I also take a handheld VHF that floats. As mentioned above, if its working leave it, if its not, I wouldn't bother replacing it, thow it out and put in another sounder. Take your mobile with you, it will most likely work where ever you are fishing, up to a few KM offshore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Good points above, its does pay in most situations to have a back up.

I know when I go bush I have 2 or 3 uhf's, 2 GPS's plus paper maps etc.

What are the issues your having with the 27mhz?

Could be bad aereal connection if your getting static?

It just seems to not pick anything up I leave it on scan and it runs for ages then all of a sudden its onto something for a couple of seconds then gone.

13 minutes ago, Blade said:

It just seems to not pick anything up I leave it on scan and it runs for ages then all of a sudden its onto something for a couple of seconds then gone.

Imo the 2 main things to check would be the ground wire & the antenna connection to the back of the radio.

If either or both have a bad connection your signal strength will be weakened or interrupted. 

@zmk1962 is very good with 12V electrical so maybe he could offer another opinion on it?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1