trying something different

fished a local flathead comp on the weekend and after was chatting to a couple of young fellas who connected up with a big jewie during the comp, hit the river again on Monday and rather than go chase bream and GT's thought I'd try something completly different and try and end my 10 year jewfish drought. Started out only a 2 second run from the ramp around the old Macksville bridge, the sounder lit up with bait started woring the bait schools with a 5 inch plastic for zip, digging through the box ull out a soft vibe my least used of any lure. Never had success with soft vibes only ever seem to snag them, layed around with retrieves and found a slow lift tight line drop to be the most comfortable, didn't take long to get eaten called for a flathead straight up

P1010206.thumb.JPG.3d48d18e35d7c7eccb8eca35ebeb9388.JPG

a just under 50, could have used that fish in the comp, as the tide picked up the bait moved on and so did I, sticking with the bridge pylon idea headed to the new highway bridge the pylons themselves were devoid of life on the sounder but by accident found a deep rockbar with bait stacked up all the way to the surface feeding in the stirred up water from the tide

spot locked and started casting, took awhile to get a hit but with lenty of casts got the familiar tap on the drop 

P1010208.thumb.JPG.b10decdeb66f645886144fd0e5286ac9.JPG

no jewie but another nice flathead absolutely inhaled the soft vibe, given he was deep hooked and thick, came home for a fine feed,

a bit more confidance in the retrieve some smaller flathead started coming aboard, kept persisting hoing a better fish would appear, then a proper whack on the drop, this fish felt heavy and went hard had no idea what I'd hooked and to my surprise 

P1010213.thumb.JPG.8c8f31706368ee95ad512ee0a9ad7be7.JPG

a quality black-spot certainly not what I was expecting he went 41cm,

next cast again the lure got whaced on the drop, the fish casually swam back into the rockbar whilst I desperately tried to stop it, I'm assuming it was a big cod and I certainly never stood a chance on 20lb. My only soft vibe gone, after some choice words headed back for the ramp but on the way decided to drift a rockwall for a last ditch try for a jewie, started casting a 5.5inch paddletail, there were fish everywhere on the sounder had a few miss hits before finally connected the fish went hard from the start with a familiar thump on the line

P1010217.thumb.JPG.4b34004be7de5264c3f397f44644889c.JPG

A nice GT to finish the session he went 41cm, 

the jewie evaded me but I'm gonna keep plugging away till I get one, already ordered some more soft vibes 

cheers for reading 

Dave

• Like 7

Gees I'm a dill, I looked at the photo of the cod for bit, thinking it must be photo shopped...to me, it looked like a giant cod on someone's shoulder, then I realised it was a hand, not a persons body wearing a fishing shirt, duh!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, noelm said:

Gees I'm a dill, I looked at the photo of the cod for bit, thinking it must be photo shopped...to me, it looked like a giant cod on someone's shoulder, then I realised it was a hand, not a persons body wearing a fishing shirt, duh!

I had about 3 looks at it trying to work it out, the bottom of the glove has pulled up and it look like a stomach of a person, the arm around the fish and they are leaning back with the fish covering his head. Then I was thinking

a) how F#$king big is that fish and wonder how many Lb is the line he was using

b) how is he not falling out of the boat with that massive cod on his shoulder

c) I am never swimming in that river

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1