Beach fishing advice - Gerroa

Yon

Hello Fishos 👋,

Taking the wife and kids to Gerroa for 3 nights for a little holiday away from Bondi. I've only ever thrown fast-retrieve metals off the beach for salmon, but from reading all the posts here it looks like Seven Mile Beach (2 min walk from where we are staying) has so much more to offer.

Can anyone give me some advice about where and what I should fish while there? I don't want to fish off the rocks by myself in an unfamiliar location, so am primarily looking for advice around where to fish off the beach and what gear / rigs would serve me well. Assume I know nothing about fishing off the sand, b/c I haven't done it since dad took me to Fraser Island to chase Tailor in the 80's...

If it's super calm I may throw a squid jig off the safe rocks there to catch some bait but otherwise really want to do some beach fishing in the gutters...

Many thanks in advance!

Yon.

Getting a bit cold for Whiting, but it might be worth a try, do you know how to catch beach worms or pippies? Both are available on the beach. A simple running sinker or Paternoster if you prefer with a long shank small hook cast into any gutters should soon let you know if there's any around, there's a bit of swell at the moment so that might make bait collecting and fishing a bit of a challenge. There has been lots of decent Tailor around too, so, some ganged hooks and a few Pilchards might be worth a go as well.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

Thanks @noelm ! No, I’ve never collected pipis, but I think the theory is that you drag your feet in the shallows at low tide and feel them? Does that sound right? 

I’m excited to try my luck!

There’s plenty of fishing to do around Gerroa. Off the beach try and get some beach worms if you know how to and dish them for whiting, bream (if they’re still around). If not you could try pilchard on gang hooks for salmon and tailor. 

Off the rocks on the safe side there are some squid but be prepared to lose a jig or 2. If you manage to get some squid you could fish them in one of the gutters for a Jew. 

There’s also a little river there called Crooked River. You can pump nippers between the two bridges and fish them for whiting and flathead. You can also get heaps of poddy mullet using a poddy trap. Fish the mullet on a running sinker rig which could get you some flathead. 

Hope this helps

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yon said:

Thanks guys. The more advice the better! Very much appreciated. @SaltyGreek for live squid, do you put them under a balloon or just pop them into a gutter on a running sinker rig?

I’d fish them on a running sinker rig in the gutters. If they die, You could use them whole, strip the hoods or use the head and tentacles as separate baits. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Never done any Squidding there, but, if you want to take the kids, Kiama Harbour has a few and is safe with easy access, plus a chip shop to have dinner.

Perfect. Thanks mate. 

• Like 1