Sign in to follow this  
motiondave

Garden earthworm breeding box

Hello, after my offer of free worms, I've had enquire about how to store and grow them.

There is plenty of information on setting up worm boxes for compost, worm juice collection and storage.

I'd highly suggest you get large foam boxes, not the plastic worm buckets. As the worms die during very cold and very hot weather.

I use a cheap potting mix as worm bedding.

I feed them vege scraps and also a mix of fattening up meal.

Ok...here we go

A foam box needs to have holes punched in the bottom, for water drainage, a large screw driver will do, and holes around the perimeter near the top for airflow.....will add more photos in next comments

IMG20200627115110.jpg

Grab another foam box for underneath to collect the juice. Sit the breeding box on top.

IMG20200627121313.jpg

Posted (edited)

Now it works....put potting mix in breed box and water till slightly damp....

The bottles in the photo are full of worm juice. Great liquid fertilizer

IMG20200627121501.jpg

Edited by motiondave
Mistake

Put in worms, they will bury themselves no issue.

IMG20200627121631.jpg

Toss in vege scraps, basically anything except citrus....water a bit on top

IMG20200627121659.jpg

Add a mix of fattening meal.

I use, about 1 metric cup total. 

I mix up 1/2 cup chicken pellets, 1/3 cup cheap oats, 1/4 cup polenta (corn meal)

Pour in on top, give it a bit of a water

IMG20200627122511.jpg

Posted (edited)

Put a lid on, and you are done. Maybe in winter, give them a bit of water once a week to a fortnight. In summer maybe 3 times a week depending on how dry the soil gets. 

That's it really.

Do some research on how to make your own worm breed box. And also what to use to fatten them. 

I use European night crawlers, I dug up from my garden, they are the shorter ones, but seem to fatten up better than the longer African nightcrawlers.

Also, you may need to change the soil mix every 6 months as it can really glug up. Just use the older soil for potting, it's very enriching for plants.

And that's basically it, after a few weeks they will breed, and a few months, depending on how often you go fishing, a good supply of bait. 

check once a week to see how much the meal is eaten and the vege scraps, more worms, more vege scraps to be eaten, Ive got 6 boxes in total going and the worms dont demolish all our vege scraps in a week, but lettting it build up is not a problem in the boxes.
EDIT, egg shells are fine to put in as well.

IMG20200627121841.jpg

Edited by motiondave
  • Like 1

@big Neil, some info for you, I'm still yet to phone the post office on Monday about if I can post you some worms to WA. 

4 hours ago, motiondave said:

@big Neil, some info for you, I'm still yet to phone the post office on Monday about if I can post you some worms to WA. 

I'm in NSW  motiondave. Many thanks for the detailed overview. Should be nice and easy to do, following your instructions. If they can be sent in the mail I'll defo have some and hopefully they will start to breed and I'll have a steady supply. They really are a good bait, capable of catching anything that lives in our freshwater environment. I wouldn't mind betting that they would be good in the salt too.

Cheers, bn

22 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I'm in NSW  motiondave. Many thanks for the detailed overview. Should be nice and easy to do, following your instructions. If they can be sent in the mail I'll defo have some and hopefully they will start to breed and I'll have a steady supply. They really are a good bait, capable of catching anything that lives in our freshwater environment. I wouldn't mind betting that they would be good in the salt too.

Cheers, bn

NSW? Sorry, for some stupid reason I though you were in WA. 

Can you send me a PM message please with a postcode? 

Yes , they work well in salt water. Not much fishing lately, too cold for me. Certainly whiting like them, once it warms up , I will try better whiting spots. 

Although they do catch small stuff as well, as well as the odd big bream and medium lizard.

• Like 1