Fibreglass resin

garfield28

Hi all, 

I'm trying to fix a few things on my fibreglass boat before putting it up for sale. I have a few small screw holes and a few gelcoat cracks that I've grooved out to fill, and I'm just wondering if I should use an epoxy or a polyester resin? I bought some epiglass HT450 which is like cabisol and I planned to mix it with resin to thicken it up like a putty to fill in the holes and cracks. I mixed a batch of the epiglass 450 with some polyester resin that I have here and it doesn't seem to be going off and hardening at all.

I also need to do a small bit of fibreglassing too, to fix a molded seat so if I can use whichever resin to do both that would be great. 

Appreciate any advice. 
Thanks 
Geoff 

7 hours ago, garfield28 said:
Hi all, 

I'm trying to fix a few things on my fibreglass boat before putting it up for sale. I have a few small screw holes and a few gelcoat cracks that I've grooved out to fill, and I'm just wondering if I should use an epoxy or a polyester resin? I bought some epiglass HT450 which is like cabisol and I planned to mix it with resin to thicken it up like a putty to fill in the holes and cracks. I mixed a batch of the epiglass 450 with some polyester resin that I have here and it doesn't seem to be going off and hardening at all.

I also need to do a small bit of fibreglassing too, to fix a molded seat so if I can use whichever resin to do both that would be great. 

Appreciate any advice. 
Thanks 
Geoff 

Could you just use flowcoat or are the repairs needing more than that.  Just a thought

• Like 1

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

I guess I could have for some, but a few of the holes are on like a sharp bend and I wanted to make the resin like a putty so I could shape it. 

Edited by garfield28