Port Stephens- Tough day today!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Just a quick report from up here today. Headed out with fellow raider @tyrone07 in very dark conditions this morning and hit the island. We struggled to get a good drift and find any bait, but we kept at it and soon found a patch of just legal and rat kings. We both landed a few (all released) but this wasn’t our target. 
Moved around a few times but still couldn’t find any bait. Then out of left field Tyrone comes up tight and this fish starts peeling line. Telltale signs of a good snaps and then pop! Leader crunched and gone! This was pretty much the story of the day. Next it was my turn to a solid hook up only to have the braid snap for no reason at all. Add to this, I broke my favourite rod and a chair in the boat, things were looking grim. But we still managed a few snapper for Tyrone to take home and spent a nice day on the water! 

cheers scratchie!!! 
61A42616-A525-405D-B98C-BF42DEC5649D.thumb.jpeg.30ea67f86190781d595e50d14a392a31.jpeg7389F76D-A940-4F35-870E-EF34663464AC.thumb.png.6c8e787aab3216213d685c1fb558285b.png

• Like 18

Good feed there hard to replace favourites but it will be fun looking $$$ them seals have the life have seen them on the rudder of cargo ship before don’t know how it got there as the ship was empty well out of the water 

• Like 2

Ahhh....one of those days Jeff. I know what your talking about ! 

You persevered and thats how you get the results!!! Still a few nice reds there and better luck next time on the string pullers.

Im also curious to know how you broke a chair !🤣

Its days like this that make all those other days just so much more special ! 

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

Yeah Scatchie, based on you're previous reports I thought You could come up with a better excuse than that!!

Still, Its much better to make the news than read about it...

Nice bag all the same.

Little to report up here, but some rumours of good Pearl Perch on the northern ground (other than my PB 86 snap on plastics thanks to your's truly)

Cheers, Hoodz

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yowie said:

A few nice reds there.

A bummer about the rod and chair. Need another rod I guess, they are a bit hard to repair for normal use.

Cheers yowie! A bit disappointed about the rod but it was my fault. To keen to get the kingy off and back in the game!

17 hours ago, blaxland said:

Well at least you got fish good to see. How did you break the seat? A bit of covid weight happening?

Haha! It was actually Tyrone. Snapped at the base. Just another example of the meaning BOAT. 

17 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Good feed there hard to replace favourites but it will be fun looking $$$ them seals have the life have seen them on the rudder of cargo ship before don’t know how it got there as the ship was empty well out of the water 

Thanks. Yep, time for a new rod. Landed plenty of snapper on that including my two PB’s. I’ll make a display of it with my mould when it’s finished. 

17 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I just wish I could be half as lucky as your worst day Jeff

😢😢😢......................................🤣

Haha! You just need to go out fishing as much as I do! 

15 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Ahhh....one of those days Jeff. I know what your talking about ! 

You persevered and thats how you get the results!!! Still a few nice reds there and better luck next time on the string pullers.

Im also curious to know how you broke a chair !🤣

Its days like this that make all those other days just so much more special ! 

Cheers Sam. Perseverance is the key. Don’t let a little breakage wreck your day. I always take two rods anyway! 👍

15 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Bummer about the double breakage & the loss of a pair of screamers nevertheless it sounds like you & @tyrone07 ended up having a good day out by persevering 👍

Cheers Dieter! We always have a good day regardless 

14 hours ago, campr said:

Pity about breakages but I wouldnt mind my tough days ended with a bag like that.

Thanks. Just hope they don’t happen all the time. 🤔

14 hours ago, Hoods said:

Yeah Scatchie, based on you're previous reports I thought You could come up with a better excuse than that!!

Still, Its much better to make the news than read about it...

Nice bag all the same.

Little to report up here, but some rumours of good Pearl Perch on the northern ground (other than my PB 86 snap on plastics thanks to your's truly)

Cheers, Hoodz

Haha! Can’t win them all. Grateful for the ones I do though!
Awesome Hoodz Where’s your report? 

14 hours ago, Pickles said:

Pity about the rod Scratchie, good you could bag a few Reds though. 

Cheers. I was a bit upset until my next cast anyway! 

6 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Plenty of casts in between fish that was for sure but we worked hard and got a few. Top company and a cracking day either way, the dusting is just a common occurrence when I come up.

We always have a nice day on the water! The dustings a are part and parcel of angling with light line! Sometimes you need to accept that the fish will win occasionally. I’m happy with that. At least we found them! “Just keep casting”. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scratchie, Wondering where you are thinking of launching from. Last year we moved to soldiers due to the weather.  Also any Peeps want to share accommodating or boats? I normally fly solo but will take my boat.

41 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Hi Scratchie, Wondering where you are thinking of launching from. Last year we moved to soldiers due to the weather.  Also any Peeps want to share accommodating or boats? I normally fly solo but will take my boat.

Yes mate! Either little beach or shoal bay! Will just depend on tides and the state of the ramps. Hopefully the council are on the ball. 🤣

39 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Me too! 🤞🤞🤞

Me 3 😉

I had to set a date & book in for another event for the weekend before the proposed tentative date so now its in the lap of the gods.

After all that happened recently I just hope all things align & I get the oppertunity to particpate in both things I love but just the one will keep me happy, cant be to greeedy right :whistling:

There's always a chance neither could happen I guess in this climate but you have to have something to look forward to right?

Thats the world we are currently living in where so much can change in a short period in time 😬

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Let's hope the lockdowns don't happen. 

It is certainly very unstable right now. Keep praying to the fish gods🤞 

I’m thinking we need a bit more than prayers at this stage! 😫😫😫

• Sad 2