Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed up from Lilli Pilli to the deep water, early this morning.

I find that after the winter solstice - shortest day of the year  - the fishing goes downhill in the Hacking, unless there is a good drop of rain to colour the water, and that won't be in the forecast for a while. The water is cooling off and rather clear at present.

Only 1 jacket about this morning, the reddie just legal and a gurnard. Some bait stealing little reddies about.

Headed to the mouth of South West Arm for a few casts with a lure after that. Salmon on the first cast but nothing afterwards.

Near the bottom of the tide, I motored home towards Gunnamatta Bay, looking at what was on the edge of the main channel. Very clear water. West of the Ballast Heap, I saw quite a few blackfish in various schools, some may be not legal size. I also saw a flattie sitting on the bottom in about 5 feet of water, under a big school of whitebait. Around the 70 to 80 cm mark, with a big head on it, not buried in the sand, just sitting on top as some of the big flatties do. Motored around for another look but he was gone.

No bream or whiting spotted at all along that section.

fish.jpeg_243.thumb.png.198e3a6e3ab14a28e378854b25f169d3.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Once caught one of those gunard things...fins looked pretty and didnt know what is was and looked on my fish chart and said was poisonous so threw him back in....silly me.

Then i read they are pretty good eating while googling after.... how to they go on the plate...any good?

10 hours ago, sydney south said:

Still a great feed..... Plus you were fishing and not working 🙂

Thank you, and I don't work any more, now retired - apart from fishing, vege garden, caravaning, etc. 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M1100S said:

Once caught one of those gunard things...fins looked pretty and didnt know what is was and looked on my fish chart and said was poisonous so threw him back in....silly me.

Then i read they are pretty good eating while googling after.... how to they go on the plate...any good?

Gurnard are fairly edible, some people rate them as good as flatties, I rate them a little bit less.

I cut off the fillets then remove the skin and bones, and they can be cooked in a number of ways like other fish.

Did well to manage a feed.

I find the Hacking does get very tough during winter months, the shallows i fish through summer are dead in winter and i move to other area's. 

I went out Saturday arvo with my two boys (4 & 6 yrs), fished jibbon beach area. Fished light, drifting baits down a burley trail and caught a mixture of trevally, red bream, tailer and yellowtail. Most undersize, kept enough for a feed, bites were constant for an hour or so until the boys got bored of catching a fish almost every cast and we move on to look for a new species. Moved to South West Arm for the last half hour of light but had no more luck.

Such is the fun of fishing with kids.

Not that you need tips Yowie but someone else reading might get something out of it.

Ash

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice catch Yowie. I have heard the hacking is hard work during the winter months but you always still manage a bag.

Thank you. There will be some fish about, but they become harder to find in the clear water. 

Just now, Oscarthebeagle said:

Did well to manage a feed.

I find the Hacking does get very tough during winter months, the shallows i fish through summer are dead in winter and i move to other area's. 

I went out Saturday arvo with my two boys (4 & 6 yrs), fished jibbon beach area. Fished light, drifting baits down a burley trail and caught a mixture of trevally, red bream, tailer and yellowtail. Most undersize, kept enough for a feed, bites were constant for an hour or so until the boys got bored of catching a fish almost every cast and we move on to look for a new species. Moved to South West Arm for the last half hour of light but had no more luck.

Such is the fun of fishing with kids.

Not that you need tips Yowie but someone else reading might get something out of it.

Ash

Yes Ash, as you would know, the fish are harder to find in winter. You managed a feed with the kids, and that's what counts.

Have not seen a report from Bruce for a while, is he still fishing?

8 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Yes Ash, as you would know, the fish are harder to find in winter. You managed a feed with the kids, and that's what counts.

Have not seen a report from Bruce for a while, is he still fishing?

Dads still fishing, don't think he has fished inside the Hacking much lately. A couple of trips chasing flathead offshore, took my brothers kids out for a fish catching flathead and reef oglies and has been up at South West Rocks chasing blackfish.

He was up there a couple of weeks ago and is up there again now. Yesterday he got 17 legal fish in 2 hours, kept some let most go, did maintenance on the house and will probably do the same again today.  

Such is the life when you are retired with a holiday house at SWR. 

No caravaning at the moment due to covid.

Ash

5 minutes ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Dads still fishing, don't think he has fished inside the Hacking much lately. A couple of trips chasing flathead offshore, took my brothers kids out for a fish catching flathead and reef oglies and has been up at South West Rocks chasing blackfish.

He was up there a couple of weeks ago and is up there again now. Yesterday he got 17 legal fish in 2 hours, kept some let most go, did maintenance on the house and will probably do the same again today.  

Such is the life when you are retired with a holiday house at SWR. 

No caravaning at the moment due to covid.

Ash

Good to see he is still fishing, and catching something.

Dave.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Gurnard are fairly edible, some people rate them as good as flatties, I rate them a little bit less.

I cut off the fillets then remove the skin and bones, and they can be cooked in a number of ways like other fish.

Regarding them being "poisonous" Yowie...I was fishing at Port Welshpool (Gippsland, Victoria) and got spiked by a fish which I identified as a "Gurnard". My hand and arm started to turn black and the pain was so bad that I headed to the hospital. The doctor needed to know what it was that had spiked me so brought a laptop with a picture of the culprit (a Gurnard). I was in there for 4 hours before I felt well enough to head back to the caravan park. Have you had any concerns about being spiked by one? Cheers, bn

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Regarding them being "poisonous" Yowie...I was fishing at Port Welshpool (Gippsland, Victoria) and got spiked by a fish which I identified as a "Gurnard". My hand and arm started to turn black and the pain was so bad that I headed to the hospital. The doctor needed to know what it was that had spiked me so brought a laptop with a picture of the culprit (a Gurnard). I was in there for 4 hours before I felt well enough to head back to the caravan park. Have you had any concerns about being spiked by one? Cheers, bn

There are a few different species of Gurnard, and some of the "gurnards" are actually part of the SCORPAENIDAE family, or Scorpionfish. Some are called gurnards of sorts, but have poisonous spines/spikes, and are not Gurnards from the TRIGLIDAE  family (such as Red Gurnard and Latchet)

Just about all of the SCORPAENIDAE  family have long dorsal spikes, which carry the poison.

SCORPAENIDAE include Fortesques (mongrel little bastards) and Red Rock Cod, which is not part of any "cod" family. 

The Red Gurnard, which is caught around this area, has never troubled me, even after copping a spike from the head spines.

I have also been spiked by Red Rock Cod, and never suffered any effects.

Dave.

Edited by Yowie
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good stuff as usual yowie! Did you get the salmon on a rod or hand line? They are always good fun to play with. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Lure on a rod. Was hoping it was a nice tailor, but turned out to be a salmon, so salted the fillets for bait, and into the freezer with them.

• Like 1