Hawkesbury Sessions

PackedAFlatty

Had a couple of good hits on Hawkesbury prawns a little up from Little Settlement but only managed to get one on the boat. Been trying to use lighter lines and leaders to increase bites and it seems to be working for me. Got the Flatty Saturday morning on 6lb braid/4lb leader, pretty dicey but had the Mrs on the net which helped!

Monday went out for my first night time tinnie session after fitting the boat with new electricals. Copped an hour of rain after anchoring just past the wharf at Estuary restaurant. Bagged a catfish and my PB bream going 43cm to the tip.

I've bought a few witches hats and am trying to get into crabbing a bit more, does anyone know what structure/bottom/depths I'm looking for in the lower Hawkesbury? Usually see floats around Railway bridge and around Bar Point. 

Cheers,

-PackedAFlatty

Screenshot_20200629-201638.png

IMG-20200627-WA0002.jpg

• Like 7

Hey mate. Great report. With the crabbing, I personally believe the tide is the most important aspect of crabbing in the Hawkesbury. We always do well around high and low tide. Also don't be afraid to go shallow, we often do well in 1-2 m of water. 

Good luck,

D

• Thanks 1

Hey mate,

Have crabbed behind dangar, And out the front too..

I allways go between 2-4 metres of water, and rarely come home with no crabs..

Much prefer muddies over swimmers!

I personally believe from the bottom of the low, right up the run in is best.. Check them every hour or so this time of year, Fair few undersize ones getting around.

Goodluck!

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:01 AM, dlvbw said:

Hey mate. Great report. With the crabbing, I personally believe the tide is the most important aspect of crabbing in the Hawkesbury. We always do well around high and low tide. Also don't be afraid to go shallow, we often do well in 1-2 m of water. 

Good luck,

D

Ok cool I hadn't thought that tides would be a big aspect but I guess they are like fish, feeding when the water is slack to make things easier for themselves - will keep that in mind for the next session

18 hours ago, yo_jono said:

Hey mate,

Have crabbed behind dangar, And out the front too..

I allways go between 2-4 metres of water, and rarely come home with no crabs..

Much prefer muddies over swimmers!

I personally believe from the bottom of the low, right up the run in is best.. Check them every hour or so this time of year, Fair few undersize ones getting around.

Goodluck!

Yeah nice! Seems like shallow is the go, will just have to try some of these tips out to see what works and then rinse/repeat 👌