Servicing Mercury Outboard

Blade

Hi Raiders, 

I recently bought a 2nd hand boat. It has a 2001 90 HP ,2 stroke, Saltwater Mercury on it.

The hours on the gauge are 340.

I took it for a compression test and the mechanic said all the cylinders read 130psi, he didnt say anything about the plugs when he took them out.

The motor runs fine, starts easily and pumps lots of water. 

I was thinking of taking it for a service just to be 100% sure everything is good, but I was quoted over $700 for parts and labor.

The challenge I have is that I blew the budget on the boat, and the trailer turned out to be a dud so I need a new trailer which I was not planning on. Is there anything that I must just bite the bullet and change on the motor? I dont want to be penny wise and pound foolish and land up having to spend 1000's later.

If you can also advise how hard is it to service an outboard at home?

Thanks 

Hi Blade,

Not sure if I can give you advice as I too bought a 2nd hand motor with similar hours. I initially replaced the normal things like fuel filters, oils (4 stroke) & plugs, impeller etc.

Over the next 2 years I replaced most consumables as they have failed - fuel pumps (both high pressure & the other one), thermostat, voltage regulator, off to the mechanic for electrical issue above my ability etc etc. Mostly I enjoy doing the basic things myself and get to know the motor (just in case!)

You can buy the Gear Lube Pump from your dealer to change the oil in the leg - just need a screwdriver etc. I got the kids involved and we learnt along the way. 2 strokes are a lot easier!! I'm not sure what parts they were quoting on for $700. Try looking up the service manual on line http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manuals/

At the end of the day the parts will need to be replaced at some stage & if you are going offshore peace of mind is up to you. We usually head out with other boats so have some back up. So to your question I delayed the cost and took a "use it or lose it" approach.

Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can learn to do anything given enough time.

We are lucky we live in the age of youtube & the internet so there is a mass of info out there.

You just have to find the right source & look at multiple sources.

Find a manual if you can to work off

Unless you have some prior service history first thing I would do is change fuel filter, water pump(get the whole kit), change gear oil(you need an oil pump), check your spark plugs

If at the end of the day if your not confident then you will need to anti up for the cost of a trade professional.

The only problem with that is finding a trade professional that actually cares about what they do which can be the hardest thing.

I trust mechanics & repairer's about as far as I can throw them these days I think I can more often than not do the same job, actually a better job on most occasions!  

Its all a learning curve 😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mate get  a manual or go on the net nothing to service a 2 stroke with some basic tools. Yes buy a pump.for gear oil do impeller and yes get a full kit as you don't no last time it was done apart from those and plugs it's really only grease when you see what's involved you will wonder where they get a figure of $700

• Thanks 1

As above get a service manual.  My local wouldnt sell me one but I rang around a few places close by and ended up getting one from townsville dealer.  They ordered it from the US so it took a few weeks, but it came and they posted it to me for an additional 10 bucks.  total was about 60 all up.  its so detailed it literally tells you every single bolt and screw to undo with pictures to go with it.  Well worth it IMO.

• Thanks 1