Jaded Tackle ??

OttoVu

So as have mentioned I am getting back into recreational fishing after a long break.  I dug up my old tackle box on the weekend primarily to clean it up as well to see where I had gaps in my kit.  Well in place of the expected rusty tangle mess of hooks, stinkers and other battered junk I found a collection of SP’s and some tasty fresh water lures and other bits and pieces I have completely forgot about. 

The lures were a result of a disaster of a Lads Weekend away to Oberon where it rained and rained – the rivers were raging torrents and when we did get a rare break the Dam was just dead.  The SP’s were a real surprise.  I have a vague recollection that these were purchased in anticipation of a saltwater weekend away me and the Lads said we were going to have after the debacle of Oberon – it never happened for a whole bunch of reasons

Anyway to my question – after at least 10 years are the SP still OK to use ?  I had a fiddle and they seemed in pretty good nick with no visual deterioration of the plastic – they are a combination of Squidgies and Powerbait.  On a related question the mono on my reels is again the same age as these lures – OK to reuse ??  I had a few casts in the backyard and it seemed normal 

IMG_0022[1].JPG

Mono deteriorates with exposure to UV & absorbs water so it doesn't age well.

Plus its cheap as chips now.

If the plastics are in opened they should still be ok.

Open the plastics packets, if they are still in one piece & haven't disintegrated or gone stiff as a board then use then, just make sure they still have action.

Edited by kingie chaser

Both the Squidgie and the Berkley minnows in your photo should be absolutely fine - I've probably got older and still usable. Just feel them and put a bend in them and if they don't crack or tear then you are right to use them.

If you plan to fish the plastics then dump the mono for two reasons. Even if it hasn't been damaged by UV (stored so very unlikely) it can develop a memory and can be an absolute pain to use (the stretch will also make it feel spongy). The use of braid with plastic is highly recommended. It gives you extra casting distance and the sensitivity is what makes it so fun and effective to fish. You can feel bites 50 meters away. Braid overtests so something in the 4 (my preference) to 6lbs would work well with the plastics shown in your box. 

I fish lower North shore and if you can't find anyone of your group that fishes light soft plastics effectively then I might be able to give you an introduction to them. The plastics are best fished with the graphite rod. They have a very better sensitivity than the older fibreglass rods.

• Like 1

Thanks all 

Yes - I am planning to replace the mono on one of my spools anyways.  The other spool (which I plan to keep for bait fishing) I will test - cast it to see if there is any memory and then break it - see what strength it may have 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, DerekD said:

I fish lower North shore and if you can't find anyone of your group that fishes light soft plastics effectively then I might be able to give you an introduction to them. The plastics are best fished with the graphite rod. They have a very better sensitivity than the older fibreglass rods.

I meant to thank you for such a kind offer ......I may take you up on it as I am not far away 

But at this stage just gathering my tackle gear and will get onto the water after a month or two. That I have some minor surgery scheduled soon 

Cheers 

30 minutes ago, OttoVu said:

I may take you up on it as I am not far away 

I usually work Monday to Friday so weekends are generally the best for me. Also afternoons when daylight savings comes back.

Good luck with the surgery.

• Thanks 1