Episode 238: Broughton Island Snapper With Jeff “Scratchie” Thompson

broughton-snapper-scratchie-thompson-audio.png

One of our fishraider members nominated our well known moderator Scratchie to become a guest on a podcast. Jeff jumped at the chance to help others (as usual) and the episode was recorded last week and posted up this morning. 

The interviewer is Greg "Doc Lures" Vinall aquatic scientist and PhD and he was delighted to interview Jeff on Broughton Island Snapper

Introducing The Australian Lure Fishing Podcast episodes .........

OBJECTIVES

• Find and interview a seriously talented Aussie lure fisherman about how to fish for a sport fishing species they’ve mastered
  • Extract from each of our guests the essence of their success on that species and where they think other fishermen go wrong in their quest
  • Provide a refreshing new way to get your fill of fishing info whilst you’re in the car, at the gym, on a plane, or anywhere else you listen to podcasts

Doc did not have to look very far to find a seriously talented lure fisherman who has mastered snapper fishing.

Here is a fantastic podcast from our own @Scratchie

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO SCRATCHIE'S INTERVIEW

Thanks very much for 35 mins of your wisdom and the great shout out to fishraider at the end  

107051070_2624575741125872_601159438552629447_n.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Well done to Jeff “Scratchie” and Fishraider for getting some recognition for their hard work in bringing fishos together 

Who would have thought that Jeff’s secret weapon all this time was a green singlet!! Something he didn’t share with me 

I listen to the ALF podcast and its very interesting and informative 

now it’s even more informative after scratchie’s interview!! Awesome 

Edited by Aerialangler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just listened to your chat fantastic love reading your posts started snapper fishing last year 45s my pb all your great advice i'll smash that pb soon. your great thaanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Love your work Scratchie!!

How many times do you see boats driving over your drift area?? I'm not a surfer but I think they call it "dropping in"??

Hopefully your informative piece will educate a few more of us and improve it for all fishos...

Thank you

• Like 2

Thanks guys and thanks @mrsswordfisherman for putting up this post and your support as always. 
As you can tell I’m a very proud fishraider and I just love giving back to a site that has taught me soooooooo much! 
Since joining the site I’ve read nearly everyone’s fishing report (actually all of them) and I’m still learning from your posts all the time. 
There have been many fishraiders that have had an influence on me starting with @swordfisherman who really inspired me with his enthusiasm for fishing and his preparation on every trip! You watch someone like that and no wonder he’s a gun fisho! 
Then there’s been some past raiders that taught me gamefishing and everything they know in that field. Then I paired up with a good mate @dom that was when the real passion for snapper started especially with soft plastics. I’ve listened to plenty of you on how to catch the humble flatty for instance. Nearly all of my mates that I fish with now are fishraiders. Fishing with @Woodsy1 and @back cruncher we’ve shared plenty of memorable moments. 

So this site has given me so much and will do the same for you! You get out of it, what you put into it. 
And finally, thanks to @Aerialangler for his nomination for the podcast. I’ve taken Kent fishing before chasing snapper (with Baz) and we often exchange texts when he’s headed up this way! 

Hope you all get something out of the podcast and I hope you are all proud to be fishraiders! 

tight lines, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Woodsy1 said:

Your a legend Scratchie, that was a great podcast and thanks for all you have taught me and hurry up and come up here for a visit.

Woodsy

Thanks Woodsy! Mate, I’m coming up as soon as I can 👍

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

Onya Scratchie, great info

Thanks Bob! 

• Like 1

Hey Jeff.... you are a living legend mate.  You have mastered your craft,  you selflessly share your knowledge ... and you champion the Fishraider spirit .....  

In my books that makes you ......   SENSEI SCRATCHIE   

Cheers and Thanks Zoran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I just heard that every K-mart/Target & Lowes within a 200km radius of Port Stephens have sold out of green singlets, I know this because Im trying to buy one now 🤔🤣

I only just listened to the podcast & there are some fantastic tips in there, one in particular that stuck with me from our first meeting with scratchie up at PS & that was about not driving over the fish to your drift start point & changing the start of your drift point to scan the whole area, I have been using that ever since!

The other is the jighead size being the light as possible.

Thanks for sharing your passion & knowledge Jeff.  

Looking forward to catching up in September :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Scratchie! That was a good listen! I don’t normally listen to podcasts or too much talking on the radio as I prefer to read (or listen to music) but that was a good listen! 😎

Cheers Baz. Hopefully that reinforces what I’ve been telling you! 🤔 There’s a big snapper waiting for you up there with your name on it! “Just keep casting” 

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I just heard that every K-mart/Target & Lowes within a 200km radius of Port Stephens have sold out of green singlets, I know this because Im trying to buy one now 🤔🤣

I only just listened to the podcast & there are some fantastic tips in there, one in particular that stuck with me from our first meeting with scratchie up at PS & that was about not driving over the fish to your drift start point & changing the start of your drift point to scan the whole area, I have been using that ever since!

The other is the jighead size being the light as possible.

Thanks for sharing your passion & knowledge Jeff.  

Looking forward to catching up in September :biggrinthumb:

Haha 😂 He snuck that info out of me! I’m a fairly superstitious person. In fact, there are several ways to drive to the boat ramp. If I use my boat I drive one way and a different way if I’m travelling on someone else’s! Yes I’m weird! 

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Top stuff Scratchie. What a fantastic ambassador you are to Fishraider and even the wider angling community. The depth of passion you have for your sport has no limits. Cheers, bn

Thanks BN. Mate you sum it up in your bio! 
“Give without remembering and take without forgetting” 

Theres a lot of give and take on this forum that is unforgettable! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Haha 😂 He snuck that info out of me! I’m a fairly superstitious person. In fact, there are several ways to drive to the boat ramp. If I use my boat I drive one way and a different way if I’m travelling on someone else’s! Yes I’m weird! 

Mate we all have our own little idiosyncrasy's, whether we think it brings us luck or for any other reason.

Im not a superstitious person but I know of quite a few sports people who are, like Steve Waugh with is red hanky.

At the end of the day if it works for you then that's all that counts :biggrinthumb:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Jeff.... you are a living legend mate.  You have mastered your craft,  you selflessly share your knowledge ... and you champion the Fishraider spirit .....  

In my books that makes you ......   SENSEI SCRATCHIE   

Cheers and Thanks Zoran

Thanks Zoran. Now let’s hope we can all get amongst it come time for the meet up! 👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Thanks Zoran. Now let’s hope we can all get amongst it come time for the meet up! 👍

Something went weird on my posts fonts between the desktop (posted) and the mobile (illegible).  If you can’t read it - It says: SENSEI SCRATCHIE !
Really look forward to the catchup. 

cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great to listen to. Well done. Super.

Thanks mate! 

1 hour ago, dan88j said:

All the secrets are out now mate! excellent listening.

Cheers mate! Nothing I haven’t posted on fishraider before! The secrets have been up on this site for a long time! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

As always, top stuff Jeff.

A true master and fishraider.

Thanks Sam! 

21 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Well done won’t be long and you’re going to have a new career teaching fishing for a living 

Cheers mate! But once you add the word “career”, then suddenly the fun is taken out of it. I prefer to teach keen fishos and watch them become addicted!!! 😄

• Like 3