MacMasters salmon PB

DaveBM

Hi all.

Weekend holiday to Copacabana presented an opportunity among the rainy patches to fish the rising tide at sunset with my nephew Callum.

Bit of history - he’s living in Sydney now, but grew up in the US, and on one visit to Oz I took him to a little jetty on Rottnest island WA. I caught a nice squid and a few herring, and he (at 3 years of age) caught a jumbo (for WA) flathead - 45cm or so. I was quickly cemented as the uncle of his fishing dreams.

Fast forward a decade, and we’ve been a few times for donuts since they moved to Sydney.

Today was dreary and wet, but then my crappy footy team won. Then I cooked everyone dry-aged rump steaks with truffled mash. Then the skies cleared.

Short walk to the beach, and after a quiet half hour of nibbles only, I got a solid hookup on a whole ganged pilchard - only to have the last hook snap off just as I saw silver flashes un the shore break. Crappy old tackle - time for a cleanout of the box.

Still, knowing there was probably a school still there in the gutter, I put the tail end of a pilchard on the remaining two hooks and flung it hurriedly out. Couple of minutes wait, them bang and we’re off again.

Got it in this time, and walked the 300m back to the beach shack in the dying light, with a beaming teenager’s faith restored and the makings of thai fishcakes for tomorrow.

Went 64cm, and check out the payload from its stomach! How was it still hungry?

5C41F0BE-62AA-4B1D-96F7-D4B92984CB10.jpeg

DF983EF2-FA5C-4BD8-8B81-ED66D3062FBA.jpeg

• Like 10

22 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Shizer !!!! That is alot of whitebait to come out of one gut. Nice work on the salmon. Quick thinking put you onto the fish

I guess that’s part of the reason that “cleaned weight” is sometimes a thing in competition fishing. Must have been 150-200g of whitebait, which Cal thought it amusing to freeze for next time as bait.

He’s hanging out for it - especially given the incredible fish cakes his mum made this arvo with the produce.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:19 AM, Yowie said:

Nice fish. The whitebait look fresh, so you could have cooked up some deep fried whitebait. 😆

It did cross my mind, but my sister and niece were too grossed out.

• Haha 1