Snapper past the Sydney heads

anthman

Hello all  went out yesterday, sprinkle of rain now and again, great conditions out past the heads otherwise (next to no wind and very calm swell - lived up to the forecast of 3.6knts (7.6kn avg) and 0.9m swell w/ 9sec period). Was rocketing out there 😈

Did a few drifts at a spot near coogee (thanks @GoingFishing) and managed a few snapper, couple of pigfish, a nice flattie - catch of the day was one of the snapper coming in at 50cm (pb so far).

Also, we got a couple of nannygai but threw back cause we were unsure of the legal size in Sydney (didn't come up on DPI) - they seemed pretty small, maybe ~15-20cm. Any ideas? These look to be also called bright redfish if my googling skills are reliable!

20200712_074934.jpg

Edited by anthman
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, anthman said:

Also, we got a couple of nannygai but threw back cause we were unsure of the legal size in Sydney (didn't come up on DPI)

Nice work :thumbup:

Yeh its annoying for sure, there are so many regularly caught fish noton that list & I think they should update it!

So fish like that do exist around the bay area...was thinking all those youtube videos are fake haha

I tried out a few spots at cape banks, kurnell....only thing i did was spool myself. I threw the soft plastic out and had bail open and the forgot about it and drove to next spot, crab the rod to cast ....pretty hard when no line on it lol

That was the extent of my day.

Also i got a few of those wrasse type fish at some of the spots i tried...so does that mean i may have been over rocks etc amd u dont find those fish on sand flats

52 minutes ago, M1100S said:

...only thing i did was spool myself. I threw the soft plastic out and had bail open and the forgot about it and drove to next spot, crab the rod to cast ....pretty hard when no line on it lol

Always tie the line to the spool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

I don't think  nannygai have a size limit in NSW, but don't quote me on that.

Any fish not on the dpi  list have a bag of 20 unless there classed as bait fish

Thanks. I remember years back I was on a charter, in the same area intact, other customers caught a few nannygai and were advised they could keep them, i didn't get a good look so was unsure of min size.

I'll keep some next time! Not sure of a recipe for such a small fish though!

1 hour ago, anthman said:

Thanks. I remember years back I was on a charter, in the same area intact, other customers caught a few nannygai and were advised they could keep them, i didn't get a good look so was unsure of min size.

I'll keep some next time! Not sure of a recipe for such a small fish though!

We used to catch them at a decent size - 25-30cm and occasionally bigger. I haven’t seen one for years. They are possibly my favourite fish for Thai fish cakes. 😋 

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

We used to catch them at a decent size - 25-30cm and occasionally bigger. I haven’t seen one for years. They are possibly my favourite fish for Thai fish cakes. 😋 

Hi Baz

If you want any go to the tank reef, heaps there last time I went, sore arms but as it's fairly deep and they come up with their bucket mouths open

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:50 AM, anthman said:

Hello all  went out yesterday, sprinkle of rain now and again, great conditions out past the heads otherwise (next to no wind and very calm swell - lived up to the forecast of 3.6knts (7.6kn avg) and 0.9m swell w/ 9sec period). Was rocketing out there 😈

Did a few drifts at a spot near coogee (thanks @GoingFishing) and managed a few snapper, couple of pigfish, a nice flattie - catch of the day was one of the snapper coming in at 50cm (pb so far).

Also, we got a couple of nannygai but threw back cause we were unsure of the legal size in Sydney (didn't come up on DPI) - they seemed pretty small, maybe ~15-20cm. Any ideas? These look to be also called bright redfish if my googling skills are reliable!

20200712_074934.jpg

Awesome Sydney red! Well done