First Jewie - Lake Mac

Belligero

Hi All,

Been fishing pretty hard the past two months trying to get my first jewie. I tried numerous nights out with no luck. Only new to Lake Macquarie so trying to figure it all out as I go along. 

Last week I decided to take the boat out by myself and fish a spot I've been eyeing off on Navionics. 

Launched the boat about 1PM to do my usual hunt for Squid. Generally I have no issues getting squid however this day I managed 0. Countless drifts and jigs for nothing. I was unable to get a good drift going which made it that much harder.I managed to pick up a good sized tailor so decided I would butterfly him.

Just before sunset I decided to give up on the squid and head over to my chosen spot. It was pretty much glassed out so an easy run and anchor in 15 minutes. I had two rods with me. My 1-3KG bream & my heavy outfit. i butterflied the trailer and threw it out the back then decided to chase some bream with the smaller outfit with prawns.

Half hour past low tide and well past dark one of the reels start screaming...and sure enough it was the 1-3KG with 1000 reel and half a spool of line. This fish just wanted to run. One way than another back under the boat..around this way and that. This went on for about 15 - 20 minutes until it eventually was too exhausted. That feeling when you first see leader then the fish is amazing. Especially when you see silver and not a ray or some similar. 

Managed to net a nice jewie at 86cm. Couple of quick photos then back into the water to swim away. 

Now I have an understanding on the area I need to focus on hopefully getting an upgrade won't be so hard! 

Cheers 

107504096_10158606861874224_8616987226809726819_o.jpg

• Like 24

Great report mate. You had me feeling like I was there. And yes it's a great feeling to see a good fish coming to the net. Often even better when it swims away after being released. Top trip, bet you can't wait for a repeat performance. Cheers, bn

Well done, great report and I'm sure you're now chasing another.

I've been fishing Lake Mac twice a week since May chasing an elusive jew on lures and have come up blank so far. It hasn't all been bad as I've caught plenty of quality bycatch including an 88cm flatty.

9 minutes ago, Hill373737 said:

Well done, great report and I'm sure you're now chasing another.

I've been fishing Lake Mac twice a week since May chasing an elusive jew on lures and have come up blank so far. It hasn't all been bad as I've caught plenty of quality bycatch including an 88cm flatty.

yeah nice plenty of good flathead in the system.

Might take boat out Saturday night. See how long this wind takes to settle down