Bung plugs

Muzza6411

Hi guys, I’ve got an issue with my bung plugs where by water has been getting into the boat, I believe the washer/o-ring could be the problem,,,anyways I went out to a shop today and 1 they don’t have the same bung thread and 2 they don’t have the o-rings, I either have to buy a whole new set of bung and insert,,is this a common problem??

cheers

1970F8EB-40CD-49C8-B39F-FBCCF81F6CAA.jpeg

Go to a decent boat shop, they will have one, I have lots of bungs, if you can measure it exactly I will have a look for you, is it out of a Telwater boat? If I have one I will post it to you.

My boats an allycraft 2002 model, I bought it second hand and the bungs came with the boat, I’ve had it about 3 yrs now and I’ve been out quite a bit, but on the last trip I had about 2 litres of water come out,,,,now the o ring has been in that position since I’ve had and quite a lot of photo’s I see the o ring is right at the bung flang and not what’s in the photo....thanks guys for your comments, I will do more searching....cheers

Not quite sure what your saying, is the O ring in the postion as per you picture provided since you have had the boat??

If it is then I think you have been lucky.

So are you going to move it back & retry?

Anyway on the chance that is not the cause you have have has a pin hole open uo somethere?

I had a small pin hole, literally the size of a pin head & over 4 hours ws letting in up to 5 ltrs+ of water under the weight of the hull.

Good luck. 

Normally you have a flat rubber washer not O ring but the O ring should work . Go to an auto parts and get another O ring if  you can't find it in a boat shop. 2 lts of water all day fishing? That could come from anywhere even backing in from the bilge pump outlet . If you want to make sure it is coming from the bung put some water in the hull when she is on the trailer then you will be sure if it comes from there.

My Stacer bung is the same with the O-Ring in the first part of the thread and doesn’t let any water in

the bung hole has a tapered recess where the Oring seats into

D53F6DBA-DB46-4EEB-8958-17460018A28C.jpeg

A2B1931D-9D99-41B8-B00D-D9A95F837B91.jpeg

5A6822A8-3633-4279-88AB-E5FAC5BD0098.jpeg

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 2

Just checked it this morning Jeff and the insert is like yours, so I put a bit of marine grease around the o ring And put it in and it feels snug now....went to repCo and auto one but they done have the right o rings, I might try whittworths....

3 hours ago, Muzza6411 said:

Just checked it this morning Jeff and the insert is like yours, so I put a bit of marine grease around the o ring And put it in and it feels snug now....went to repCo and auto one but they done have the right o rings, I might try whittworths....

Not a good idea to use marine grease on rubber, could effect the rubber. you can use rubber grease though. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Muzza6411 said:

btw where do you get the o rings from??

I haven’t had to replace the Oring as yet.

i have spotted them at Blake’s Marine but any Stacer or Quintrex dealer would sell them.

the complete bung is like $6 from Hunts Marine 

741E09A2-E0D6-4CF3-8479-7FD10E9186A4.png

Edited by jeffb5.8

• 2 weeks later...

My mate had a similar problem and was looking at everything except the o rings and a simple rubber proper fitting O ring was the issue also they perish in a short space of time particularly if you slightly cross thread it when you are trying to screw it in and you nick the rubber.

I always carry at least on set of spare bung plugs in the boat and check the O rings regularly it is amazing how much water they let in if they do not seal properly.

The Skipper

• Thanks 1