2 Stroke Oil

Blade

Hi Raiders,

I am looking for some advice from those who have been boating for a while.

I have a 2001 90HP Mercury Saltwater 2 stroke, I am currently using the Valvoline product (no reason other than it is a brand I know and it is mid range in terms of price) 

Are there any other oils that you can recommend? The advice I have been given is that with my motor being an older model as long as it is TC-W3 rated it is fine, is that correct?

When I got my 25hp 2 stroke in 2010 it was recommeneded to me to use Quicksilver oil as I believe it was recommended by Mercury.

https://www.quicksilver-products.com/marine/outboard/lubricant/2-stroke-outboard-oil/

I have relatively recently noticed Mercury now have their own brand so not sure if has come onto the market fairly recently but when I run out of QS & think I will move over but both are premium & exceed TC-W3 rating

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/au/parts-and-accessories/mercury-marine-products/precision-lubricants/2-cycle-outboard-oil/

I aslo used Mercury gear oil when I change that oil recently.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blade said:

Are there any other oils that you can recommend?

I owned and ran a Merc 200HP EFI 2St from 1999 until 1month ago. I always used Quicksilver Premium 2St Oil TCW3 except when I could not get my hands on it (none in stock or I was travelling) - on those occasions I tried Penrite and Valvoline and found both of these to be much more smokier on start than Quicksilver. My motor went to a new home after 21yrs with perfect compression, no bearing issues etc. 

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

When I got my 25hp 2 stroke in 2010 it was recommeneded to me to use Quicksilver oil as I believe it was recommended by Mercury.

https://www.quicksilver-products.com/marine/outboard/lubricant/2-stroke-outboard-oil/

I have relatively recently noticed Mercury now have their own brand so not sure if has come onto the market fairly recently but when I run out of QS & think I will move over but both are premium & exceed TC-W3 rating

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/au/parts-and-accessories/mercury-marine-products/precision-lubricants/2-cycle-outboard-oil/

I aslo used Mercury gear oil when I change that oil recently.

Quicksilver is a very shrewd marketing/branding strategy executed by Mercury.

Mercury branded products can ONLY be sold by Mercury dealers.

Quicksilver products can be sold by non-Mercury dealers, retail outlets - a shop, RTM etc etc etc

Quicksilver distributes Mercury OEM (produced) products. So for instance a Yam owner may consider Quicksilver oil, just like they would consider Valvoline ... but they may not consider Mercury oil with the same level of interest as it seems to be labeled very brand specific.

Interesting fact, in the english language the element mercury (chemical symbol Hg) is also known as "quicksilver" ... so there you have it, quicksilver is just mercury by another name .... very very shrewd marketing !!!!

Cheers Zoran

IMG_3871.thumb.PNG.fbe86e6e58a98159418bee6120e89e46.PNG

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Yamaha 15HP two stroke and ensure that I run the MARINE 2 stroke oil in the mix rather than what may be used in a lawn mower (for instance). Apparently marine motors run hotter than other 2 strokes and the MARINE oil accommodates lubrication at the higher temperatures. This is what I use and is adequately described in the other posts.bn159309458_IMG_0745(2).thumb.JPG.b372296e23eb6d206da4ad29f11bd6a8.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I owned and ran a Merc 200HP EFI 2St from 1999 until 1month ago. I always used Quicksilver Premium 2St Oil TCW3 except when I could not get my hands on it (none in stock or I was travelling) - on those occasions I tried Penrite and Valvoline and found both of these to be much more smokier on start than Quicksilver. My motor went to a new home after 21yrs with perfect compression, no bearing issues etc. 

Quicksilver is a very shrewd marketing/branding strategy executed by Mercury.

Mercury branded products can ONLY be sold by Mercury dealers.

Quicksilver products can be sold by non-Mercury dealers, retail outlets - a shop, RTM etc etc etc

Quicksilver distributes Mercury OEM (produced) products. So for instance a Yam owner may consider Quicksilver oil, just like they would consider Valvoline ... but they may not consider Mercury oil with the same level of interest as it seems to be labeled very brand specific.

Interesting fact, in the english language the element mercury (chemical symbol Hg) is also known as "quicksilver" ... so there you have it, quicksilver is just mercury by another name .... very very shrewd marketing !!!!

Cheers Zoran

IMG_3871.thumb.PNG.fbe86e6e58a98159418bee6120e89e46.PNG

Quicksilver oil price is the same as is the bottle shape. Looks like I will make the switch to Quicksilver oil. Available at a shop so no issue with availability.