Fiber glass Boat Recommendations

Justfishin

Hi All

New Member, long time visitor to Fishraider.

I am looking for recommendations for a new boat and hoping I can get some members with experience to help or point me in the right direction.

These are the specs I am looking for - 

fiber glass

trailer

6m plus 

150hp minimum up to 200hp maximum outboard 

fishing set up for Western Australian (metro mainly) waters

Would like in hull transducer 600k and decent combo unit or individuals if there is room

Budget 70k - 80k

So far I have looked at Signatures, Haines Hunters, North Bank, Cruise Craft, Whittley.

I am not really into the Yank boats and they don't seem to have new ones available here in WA very often/easily.

I am not looking to go Plate Ally as I have been on plenty and prefer the ride of a fiber hull.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas or recommendations it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi @Justfishin, I have owned and run a Haines Hunter 635L since 1996 - and I couldn't be happier with it. I mainly use it offshore from a few km to the shelf...but we do overnight and fish estuaries as well. Its a half cabin so has lots of protection but that design cuts back on fishability compared to a center console.  I predominantly fish 2 but the hull dynamics comfortably fish 4 onboard.  Also, I have just repowered with a Merc 150HP 4st - and again couldn't be happier with that decision - so the Haines is going to be with me for many yours to come.

You can search the forums here for my posts and videos.

Perhaps some more insight into the type of fishing you pursue and your intended use (how many onboard etc) would help with others advice.

Also, not sure if you are looking for new or second hand. The closest new hull I have found to my Haines (identical weight, length, beam deadrise etc) is the Revival 640. 

You also need to consider your vehicle towing capability ... getting into the FG 6m class boats you can easily tilt into the braked trailer and other GVM/GCM  considerations.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

Hi Zoran

Thanks for your input.

I am really looking for a new boat or at most a couple of years old with Donk under 100 hours.  I used to own a caribbean from the 70's with a merc 2 stroke and it needed constant maintenance so looking for less of a project if you get my meaning.

It will really only be for 2-3 adult fishers and mainly for fishing offshore (so needs to be 6m plus for my own peace of mind) not too worried about size of cabin as I don't plan to use for over nighters, might put a portable toilet in the cabin in the foot well for a bit of comfort.

I definitely don't want a Centre Console as the weather here in WA can get windy and choppy in the afternoons and prefer something with a bit more shelter (hard top would be great but a little out of my budget probably).

I have looked at the revivals but was not that impressed with the build quality compared to Haines Signature, Haines Hunter etc., didn't feel as solid and I was not too happy with the open space in front of the passenger seat.  I am not sure how they ride but they seem to be fitted out with smaller outboards compared to others in the same size so my guess was that the hull was lighter (quite happy to be proven wrong) and therefore needed less horsepower/torque to push it?

No problem with the tow vehicle I have a prado with brake system installed already.

Cheers

Great... you know what your after and you have sea miles under your belt. I'm fortunate as I have known my hull since 1996. I have installed a pump out loo and I have invested in a hardtop as well.  This video gives you a view of the cockpit space - 3 crew orange shirt is 6'4"... you'll get a glimpse of the cabin space as well:

I have only seen Revivals at the boatshow and have never ridden in one - when you mentioned WA it occurred to me the guy in that video is a WA dealer so I thought I'd share it. From a comparison perspective, my Haines 635L is a 1992 build and is considered a heavy deep v hull (onwater weight is 1972kg with two on board) compared to the revival 1800kg test weight that you saw in that video. I went from a 200HP 2st to a 150HP 4st and still maintained a 4second hole shot with equal midrange performance to the 200HP but much better fuel economy - the 150HP Merc has plenty of torque to push it...so don't be too concerned about considering what you need vs what is the max rating on a hull.  My Haines is rated to a 225HP, but it is a rocket with the 150HP 4st ...I don't know how or when I would use an additional 75hp as a fisherman!  I have a full write up of the repower in a recent post with comparison performance videos -- it is a long read but here is the link:

Another FR  @JonD runs a more recent build Haines Signature and may be able to offer more insights on his hull and experience.

Best of Luck ... and really look forward to more of your posts once you are re-hulled !

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just did a quick search on a boat sales site for WA and new Ocean Master 640 Challengers came up as in your budget range. I don't know anything about them but this is the makers site:

http://www.oceanmasterboats.com.au/challenger-series.html

Can't hurt to have a look at one. Dealer is in Fremantle. Good luck new boat hunting is fun kinda sorta.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jiggy said:

I just did a quick search on a boat sales site for WA and new Ocean Master 640 Challengers came up as in your budget range. I don't know anything about them but this is the makers site:

http://www.oceanmasterboats.com.au/challenger-series.html

Can't hurt to have a look at one. Dealer is in Fremantle. Good luck new boat hunting is fun kinda sorta.

Thanks Jiggy

I've looked into these and apparently the hulls used to made in Oz but are now imported from China and do not have the best reputation.

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

have alook at the yalta crafts 

Hey Dunc

I don't know much about these apart from they have new owners and are relocating their factory apparently.  It might be a long wait to get hold of one of these in WA, unless anyone knows different?

1 hour ago, Justfishin said:

Thanks Jiggy

I've looked into these and apparently the hulls used to made in Oz but are now imported from China and do not have the best reputation.

Ooh bugger that.

6 hours ago, Justfishin said:

Hi All

New Member, long time visitor to Fishraider.

I am looking for recommendations for a new boat and hoping I can get some members with experience to help or point me in the right direction.

These are the specs I am looking for - 

fiber glass

trailer

6m plus 

150hp minimum up to 200hp maximum outboard 

fishing set up for Western Australian (metro mainly) waters

Would like in hull transducer 600k and decent combo unit or individuals if there is room

Budget 70k - 80k

So far I have looked at Signatures, Haines Hunters, North Bank, Cruise Craft, Whittley.

I am not really into the Yank boats and they don't seem to have new ones available here in WA very often/easily.

I am not looking to go Plate Ally as I have been on plenty and prefer the ride of a fiber hull.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas or recommendations it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Add to your list Formula and Evolution, I know evolution are hand laid , not sure on formula but I think a mixture of shopped and hand laid. 

I haven't been in the formula but they are based on the old Haines formula 23 hull. I have been in the evo 652 and they ride very well.

F/G boats 6 mtrs plus ( true 6 mt not like most manufacturers measuring the bow sprit as well) are over $100K for a combo including trailer and will weigh at 2500 kg  plus fueled, gear and trailer, don't go on the specs they supply as that maybe for bare minimum so you will need electric over hydraulic brakes.

I'm sure you can find a so called 6mt boat combo with minimum hp and minimum fittings on a trailer with over-ride brakes, especially a lesser known brand for under $100k, maybe even at your budget.

I think if you want a well known brand with some electronics a legal trailer and a 150 plus hp you will have to look at used, by the way if you find a 2-3 yo with a lot more hours than 100 don't walk away, engines don't wear out, age kills them , corrosion etc... unless used commercially. I know charter boat operators that do 4000-5000 hours before they re-power. The other problem you have  WA is a small market for used boats and shipping from East would be very expensive.

Good luck in your search it will be interesting to see what you end up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

my brother in law just upgraded from Quintrex half cab to a 2018 Haines Signature 650f hardtop with a 250hp Merc and he is stoked with the ride and handling.

He is in The NT and does over nighters offshore and really rates the ride.

Pretty sure he paid $76k for it and it had 45hrs on the engine.

It does have all the bells and whistles

P.s

My wife loveS the Stejcraft 580 Islander Deluxe and with a drive away price of $74k with all my options, she is working on me to trade my Bowrider for it.

610 Monaco is also nice

Edited by jeffb5.8

16 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

Add to your list Formula and Evolution, I know evolution are hand laid , not sure on formula but I think a mixture of shopped and hand laid. 

I haven't been in the formula but they are based on the old Haines formula 23 hull. I have been in the evo 652 and they ride very well.

F/G boats 6 mtrs plus ( true 6 mt not like most manufacturers measuring the bow sprit as well) are over $100K for a combo including trailer and will weigh at 2500 kg  plus fueled, gear and trailer, don't go on the specs they supply as that maybe for bare minimum so you will need electric over hydraulic brakes.

I'm sure you can find a so called 6mt boat combo with minimum hp and minimum fittings on a trailer with over-ride brakes, especially a lesser known brand for under $100k, maybe even at your budget.

I think if you want a well known brand with some electronics a legal trailer and a 150 plus hp you will have to look at used, by the way if you find a 2-3 yo with a lot more hours than 100 don't walk away, engines don't wear out, age kills them , corrosion etc... unless used commercially. I know charter boat operators that do 4000-5000 hours before they re-power. The other problem you have  WA is a small market for used boats and shipping from East would be very expensive.

Good luck in your search it will be interesting to see what you end up with.

Cheers WRX, love the look of the Southern Formulas and Evolution but they are quite a bit over budget, even the second hand ones of which there aren't many available, unless you look at boats ten years old.  I don't really want to have to spend a heap on upgrading electronics etc.

I agree with the hours on the motor, not too concerned with that but would like to purchase with warranty still in place for a bit of insurance. The hard part is finding that second hand boat, they just don't come up too often, I hope a member on here may come up with something that fits the bill at some point... Fingers Crossed

15 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi

my brother in law just upgraded from Quintrex half cab to a 2018 Haines Signature 650f hardtop with a 250hp Merc and he is stoked with the ride and handling.

P.s

My wife loveS the Stejcraft 580 Islander Deluxe and with a drive away price of $74k with all my options, she is working on me to trade my Bowrider for it.

610 Monaco is also nice

Hey Jeffb

That Haines 650f sounds like it would be close to perfect for me!  I just can't seem to find one available, I think your BIL was very lucky.

I looked into the Stejcraft and they are a nice rig, I found the outboard size is small so I was left wondering if the hull was a bit lightweight the same as possibly the Revivals?  Also they look a bit more of a cruising type with a bigger cabin, not as well geared up for fishing and a bit fancy for me haha!

Best of luck if you go for the trade in

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi

P.s

610 Monaco is also nice

That sounds like a good buy.   I could see myself in the Haines 650f but my bank account doesn't agree so much.

20 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi

P.s

610 Monaco is also nice

Stejcraft 580 is half the boat Haines signature 650 F is. It is not what he is looking for and they have very small fuel tanks . They maybe close to 6 mts long  but what do they measure? Like I said before a true 6 mt boat you don't count the bowsprit ( they always do when part of the hull) or the very pointy nose and do they count the rear swim steps  as well?

Thats the reason they are light, they are small. They have a bigger boat as well but even that is not what he is looking for. That's not to say they are not suitable or good boats, I don't know where they are made or what method they use .

From what I understand he wants a more seaworthy boat ( bigger, heavier) with better offshore capabilities and a much bigger fuel tank, minimum 200 lts but preferably even bigger.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Justfishin said:

Hi Rebel

Thanks but as mentioned in the first post I am looking for FGlass not Ally.

Have you thought of looking at an older boat with a 2 stroke engine? Buy that and re-power? Say a 10 yo in good nick , not much will go wrong as long as she was trailer kept, then spend $25k to re-power with a new 4 stroke engine . You have a reliable engine and $4-5 k for the latest electronics then the only other thing to worry is the trailer if you travel long distances.

I think you will be able to find the boat your after within your budget but maybe not in WA.

By all means look a late model boat but if I was you I would keep my options open .

Good luck in your search.

57 minutes ago, wrxhoon1 said:

Have you thought of looking at an older boat with a 2 stroke engine? Buy that and re-power? Say a 10 yo in good nick , not much will go wrong as long as she was trailer kept, then spend $25k to re-power with a new 4 stroke engine . You have a reliable engine and $4-5 k for the latest electronics then the only other thing to worry is the trailer if you travel long distances.

I think you will be able to find the boat your after within your budget but maybe not in WA.

By all means look a late model boat but if I was you I would keep my options open .

Good luck in your search.

Hey Wrx 

I originally considered this but because I don't want a "project" I have dismissed this idea altogether.

I don't have time to do all of the maintenance myself and trades for repairs and even swapping out motors here in WA are very expensive, I have experienced this before with my old Caribbean.

All of my extra time I want to spend on the water not in the shed if you see what I mean.

You are dead right with your comments above with regards to a seaworthy boat with offshore capabilities and a 200 litre tank (although some Haines are a little less, but due to how efficient new outboards can be that should not be a problem).

I do think the right boat will come along, quite like the look of the the new Haines Signature 640f but it will likely be a bit over budget with through hull transducer and 200 hp.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:21 PM, wrxhoon1 said:

Stejcraft 580 is half the boat Haines signature 650 F is. It is not what he is looking for and they have very small fuel tanks

Total agree the 650F is the boat Justfishing described, As his wants and would fit every aspect.

My brother in-laws videos and photos of where he has taken his Haines are just breathtaking plus the fish he catches way offshore leave my Harbour Bream for dead.