Mullet on Soft Plastics

So I have already answed a number of questions on this in the records section but I thought it would be good to write a report about what exactly happend and how exactly it was done since I have just finished the video. The mullet on plastics was after the great day session with @dirvin21 catching GT, Bigeye trevally and Bream on his boat. On the way back to the caravan park I saw some big ripples and splashes in the section of river near the park, I said "Stop the car I would be a mug not to stop" (Even though my arm was about to fall off from casting all day).

I had the Zman grubs in motor oil attracted with a 1/16 jighead. When I got to the water I realised they were mullet, not kingies or anything special like GT. Although I had confidence due to the sheer amount of mullet there one was bound to grab it or at least have kings in the mix attempting to find smaller mullet to eat. The lure choice was a no brainer as the zman grubz are probably the best lure to throw when you don't really know what is going to get them. They are also small so they will fit in the small mouths of mullet. Another thing to add is the fine lips that mullet have. If you hookup in front of the jaw cartilage the hook pulls through straightaway. There was another fella near me throwing metals at them with a high speed retrieve, jagging them with the treble hook. I was more interested in actually catching them and following the rules as intentionally jag hooking fish is illegal and not really difficult anyway.

Regardless of the great lure choice and potentially thousands of mullet I had to put in about 50 casts to hook one amongst the hook pulls / fish bumping the lure. The bites were happening after the first few casts so that gave me faith to keep trying and I remember saying "I am not leaving until I get one, thats the rule".

After having a great fight with about 4 mullet. I hooked an absolute screamer - I was pretty sure that It was a kingy without much chance of landing amongst the jagged oyster covered rocks. then after a positive ID of a monster mullet it did another cracker of a run that was comparable to the mack tuna and many kings I have caught. He came up super green even after the performance, handling the fish was difficult and he measured up at 50cm. My camera then unfortunately ran out of batteries. I managed to secure another 4, one of these was also decent around 45cm. The 50cm and 45cm model I kept and gave 3 others to an old man trying to catch them with pillys "You young ones with the new gagets are too good". He told me they are good eating from the salt water so I decided to keep the couple for myself for a feed and to taste test a new species. I have previously kept one mullet before from yarramundee in the fresh water and I did not even bother eating it as the smell of the fish in preparation and cooking was just revolting. (Does anyone know why saltwater fish taste better in general and why mullet found in salt are better)

The mullet cooked up well with minimum batter and a little bit of oil. The meat was very good and is now on the favourites list among mack tuna, kingfish and salmon. Although I will add, I do have an abnormal taste preference for fish as I regard the taste of bream and snapper really really bad so take my pointers for nice tasting fish with a grain of salt as I understand Bream and Snapper are held in very high esteem by most as the best eating fish. (I firmly believe that people have certain preferences for certain fish and that there is no such thing as a trash fish but rather a trash fish for you personally). I will also add that the mullet was fillited and had the black meat, bones and blood line removed prior to cooking which I believe also Improved the taste. This resulted in a bit of waste but considering the amount of meat taken from a 50cm mullet and 45cm the yield is still very high. 

I would like to mention the amazing fighting capabilities of the mullet. They pull way harder than tailor and bream. Much like a salmon and close behind that of a kingfish. In the future I am going to write a list of fishes fighting capabilities pound for pound in a top 10 list. but for now I am going to say mullet is about number 5 or 6. Number 1 being the GT. 

Regards everyone, James. 

• Like 8

I agree with you. Mullet from fresh water tends to have a muddy flavour.  Perhaps, they eat the mud to get at the food contained in there.  Salt water mullet are fresher smelling and tasting.  Just like the ocean small.  Perhaps it is the environment that the mullet are in that tends to flavour them.

• Like 2

A great report and follow up to your trip report with Dave. Your videos are "natural" to me. Let me explain. We all react differently to the ENTIRE fishing experience (preparation, cast, retrieve, hook-up, fight, and success/failure). I just love the narration which you apply to the experience. Anyway enough on that topic. 

Regarding eating of fish. The saying "one man's meat is another man's poison" springs to mind. There are so many variations that can be applied to preparing, cooking and serving fish... and of course we all have different taste preferences. No doubt fish (especially ones which you have caught) are a great source of food and delicious to eat.

Lastly, a serious question and probably one which you won't be able to help me with. How are you able to put a video in a post with a fairly small allocation of "bytes" when I have to compress pictures to be able to include them in a post? I know that when it comes to computer talk (as I call it) I have the same level of understanding as I do about astro physics...ALMOST ZERO. Have a go at explaining it for me. In the meantime keep making your videos, I love them.

Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

A great report and follow up to your trip report with Dave. Your videos are "natural" to me. Let me explain. We all react differently to the ENTIRE fishing experience (preparation, cast, retrieve, hook-up, fight, and success/failure). I just love the narration which you apply to the experience. Anyway enough on that topic. 

Regarding eating of fish. The saying "one man's meat is another man's poison" springs to mind. There are so many variations that can be applied to preparing, cooking and serving fish... and of course we all have different taste preferences. No doubt fish (especially ones which you have caught) are a great source of food and delicious to eat.

Lastly, a serious question and probably one which you won't be able to help me with. How are you able to put a video in a post with a fairly small allocation of "bytes" when I have to compress pictures to be able to include them in a post? I know that when it comes to computer talk (as I call it) I have the same level of understanding as I do about astro physics...ALMOST ZERO. Have a go at explaining it for me. In the meantime keep making your videos, I love them.

Cheers, bn

Thanks bn. Cheers for the kind words about the report and video. I will always be taking the camera when I go fishing because you never know what will happen when you go out. To compliment the report with the video I just copy and paste the link of the video into the base of my report. As if it was an extra bit of writhing, I believe this means that the file size is only the length of the link but I may be wrong. As soon as the link goes in it converts into the videos image instead of a link. 

Regards

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

I agree with you. Mullet from fresh water tends to have a muddy flavour.  Perhaps, they eat the mud to get at the food contained in there.  Salt water mullet are fresher smelling and tasting.  Just like the ocean small.  Perhaps it is the environment that the mullet are in that tends to flavour them.

I think it is diet as well caused by the change in environment. There is not many other explanations. I did a little bit of research into the technique they use to survive in fresh but I do not believe that would cause the taste difference. numerous online articles also noted the change in taste when caught in salt or fresh.