Boat inspection in Fairfield

kanTec

Greeting raiders...

At last I settled on a bowrider Aluminium boat... 

I need to inspect it now and I know nothing about boats 😅. Advise needed.

Who can I contact to inspect the boat around Fairfield? The seller will tow the boat to a close boat ramp, could be George river.

Any recommendations? And how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks heaps

8 hours ago, Madwave said:

Maybe some photos, links and info on the boat would help others to have an opinion on the boat but good luck though.

Good point Madwave. Here is the link:

Quintrex 475 Freedom,
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/greenacre/motorboats-powerboats/quintrex-475-freedom/1252098275?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Price: $18,300

I need to find someone to inspect it as I mentioned I'm ignorant when it comes to boats. 

If you type boat inspections Sydney into google there quite a few companies that do the service, similar to say an NRMA vehicle inspestion.

Some are mobile.

Its not cheap but then you get a very comprehensive written document on condition/issues which you can then take to the owner & use in the negotiation.

In saying its not cheap it could save you thousands in the long run!

Just looking at that motors age it looks like its done more that 70 hours to me but then you need to look at that & the service history as well.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01ww3RoSB1Yyn_adi6dcX2wNx46uw%3A1595193280181&source=hp&ei=wLcUX56XCZiX4-EPwsiriAQ&q=boat+inspections+sydney&oq=boat+inspection&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADoHCCMQ6gIQJzoICAAQsQMQgwE6BQgAELEDOgQIIxAnUNifC1i-6wtgtvoLaAFwAHgAgAGTAYgBuRCSAQQwLjE1mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABCg&sclient=psy-ab

Edited by kingie chaser

24 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Just looking at that motors age it looks like its done more that 70 hours to me but then you need to look at that & the service history as well.

It's done 140 on the clock, the guy mixed hours with HP.

9 minutes ago, noelm said:

Trailer is only just big enough, impossible to check motor hours on that model, wonder why the upholstery was redone?

8 hours ago, Madwave said:

He did mention his friend worked in this domain and did the whole interior, the sun affected it. 

I'll check the Google search and see how I go

I was recently asked by an elderly neighbour if I could help him sell his 5m quintrex. The boat was powered by an 85hp Yamaha and sat on a new trailer which had not been in the water. The boat and engine were in what could be described as showroom condition and all he was asking was $10000, which I'd only been asked a few days before by a friend with that same amount to spend on a boat. The deal was done that day and both parties were very happy. Engine hours were around 50.

Another friend had a 5m bowrider quitrex, which once again had had very little use and sat on a new $3500 trailer he was wanting to sell. This was another family who bought the boat new and had not had enough time to get out and use the boat. This had a 70hp Yamaha and again was in first class condition with just 70hrs use. The asking price for this started at $18000 but after no interest basicly dropped $1000 each time untill it sold at $12000.

The fact both of these boats needed new trailers tells me quitrex trailers need to be carefully checked if sitting on the original still. Those older two stroke engines are getting on these days and not to many people are interested in such old tec if you were to sell it on again. Personaly I can't stand the smell from two stroke oil when out on the water, it made our whole family sick when we once had one.

My advice would be not to spend any money untill you have carefully looked at a few of these boats. Take a torch and be sure to look under the floor along welds etc around the stern as these often have corrosion. Bubbling paint work with corrosion under can often be seen around fittings, or repainted spots to cover those corrosion areas. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonD said:

Personaly I can't stand the smell from two stroke oil when out on the water, it made our whole family sick when we once had one.

Thanks JonD... very insightful. The smoke remark kills the deal to be honest, my wife can't take any smoke and this will make it very difficult for us to use the boat.

I see I need to do more homework before proceeding.

Are all two-stroke engines smelly?

20 minutes ago, kanTec said:

I see I need to do more homework before proceeding.

Are all two-stroke engines smelly?

Yes in regards to smoke, Some more than others especially the older models 1990's to early 2000's, New ones like the Etec do still smoke its nothing like the older 2 strokes, to be honest I only smell the smoke, if I reverse and I'm at the back of the boat and its not over powering like the old models where you can watch the smoke haze drift across the river, never smell it on Idle, driving forward or on starting.

As Joh said above, While the bowriders hold their value, compared to similar runabout models, the one listed is a bit expensive in my mind for what it is, I would have though $14k

Buying a boat is about patience, my theory is they are like buses and another will be along soon and it will be either better or the same. Covid is really starting to bite, so I wouldn't be surprised if more boats started appearing for sale from now as things get worse.

Its a buyers market unless they are in mint condition with full service records.

I like this one better, but is a bit dear, maybe bargain down

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/matraville/motorboats-powerboats/quintrex-bow-rider-suit-new-boat-buyer/1242230064

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

Direct injection 2 strokes are not smokey and similar fuel consumption as 4 strokes ( Etec, Merc Optimax, Yamaha HPDA  and Tohutsu TLDI).

I still find them smelly enough to put me off them from every boat Ive been on with them.

• Like 1

I’ve got a 2010 75hp etec on my 5m brooker runabout doesn’t really put out any smell and it’s really efficient compared to the yammys and hondas etc so far I’ve done around 250 and its still like new I know alot of people will say reconsider about the resale value but it’s a nobrainer to look at the other way if you’re buying something to keep it. My mate has a same year 90 hp yammy it smokes as well as starts in about 20 seconds which I’m assuming the previous owners didn’t look after it right and here comes the main thing to look besides the hull. Papers, your main focus should be on boats thats got all the appropriate papers that shows the work thats been done to it. Thats what you’re pretty much paying for anyways secondly you can take the boat for a test run if someone wants to sell they wouldn’t be shy for that either and for last like others said having the right traileris important too mind you be careful of galvanised trailers people will just sand or just spray over it to cover the rust so try to find a boat with a stainless steel trailer. I know when you put in all these factors it becomes a pain in the ass but in the long run it’ll serve you well it’s good that others pointed out really valuable points here which tou should feel confident to buy it on your own. Btw do you have to get a bowrider? What type of use you want to get out of a boat? Family, fishing etc?

12 hours ago, Madwave said:

I’ve got a 2010 75hp etec on my 5m brooker runabout doesn’t really put out any smell and it’s really efficient compared to the yammys and hondas etc so far I’ve done around 250 and its still like new I know alot of people will say reconsider about the resale value but it’s a nobrainer to look at the other way if you’re buying something to keep it. My mate has a same year 90 hp yammy it smokes as well as starts in about 20 seconds which I’m assuming the previous owners didn’t look after it right and here comes the main thing to look besides the hull. Papers, your main focus should be on boats thats got all the appropriate papers that shows the work thats been done to it. Thats what you’re pretty much paying for anyways secondly you can take the boat for a test run if someone wants to sell they wouldn’t be shy for that either and for last like others said having the right traileris important too mind you be careful of galvanised trailers people will just sand or just spray over it to cover the rust so try to find a boat with a stainless steel trailer. I know when you put in all these factors it becomes a pain in the ass but in the long run it’ll serve you well it’s good that others pointed out really valuable points here which tou should feel confident to buy it on your own. Btw do you have to get a bowrider? What type of use you want to get out of a boat? Family, fishing etc?

When you say 250, I assume you are talking hours ? Not wanting to go down the etec  argument path ( a manufacturer which has now stopped manufacturing outboards ) but 250 hrs isn't much at all for a 2011 outboard, for some its 6 months of owning a boat. As for the comment of efficiently being better than Hondas and Yamaha, I assume you've owned these also during the time period since 2011, perhaps this is why you only have 250hrs on the etec.  

With a light wind behind you slowly trolling or simply drifting with the wind coming from the direction of the outboard Ive yet to be on any modern two stroke powered boat that doesn't have that smell. The reason you don't see etec on comercial boats is simple, the reason you sea them on fishing shows is also simple, or should I say was as virtually all those shows moved over to more reliable manufacturers. If you had said 2500 hours on your 75hp without a single issue, or 6000-10000 hrs like a comercialy used outboard, then I would be more impressed. 

Kantec, ask any outboard mechanic not affiliated with selling engines their opinions on buying any modern two stroke engine. Also take note on what comercial boats have strapped on the back when you are around the water, or even spend a few hours around a busy ramp and possibly asking people what they think of the engines they are using and don't forget to ask how many hours on them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JonD Good point mate, yes I was talking about hours and for general fishing purpose with normal use. And for a reason that could be just my engine... mind you that engine gets serviced every year and gets looked after like a baby. Obviously a 4 stroke honda or yammy would be a better choice but it’ll depend on how much he wants to spend and what the boat has if it’s a second hand. Great insight and knowledge you got but atleast we dont live at an age where 2 strokes used to leave an oil trail 😂.

• Like 1

@kanTec

I also own a Etec and can tell you that it is not smokey, like Madwave i dont get any smells unless i am reversing (like most 4 strokes will too btw). Like Madwave, i can tell you it is very efficient on fuel than the comparative 4 strokes. Theres lots of stats to support this. Dont let others who spread mistruths convince you otherwise.

Its bloody hilarious how some ignorant people are so blindly relentless in their pursuit to take a dump on 2 strokes that they will actually sit infront of a 2 stroke owner who is telling them " i own an etec and my engine is not smokey" and reply with " your wrong, all 2 stroke are smokey" LOLLLL...... like we dont even know about our own boats that we own and operate.

Like seriously, enough with the hearsay mistruths its really sad.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonD said:

Kantec, ask any outboard mechanic not affiliated with selling engines their opinions on buying any modern two stroke engine. Also take note on what comercial boats have strapped on the back when you are around the water, or even spend a few hours around a busy ramp and possibly asking people what they think of the engines they are using and don't forget to ask how many hours on them. 

Honestly I was always tending towards 4 stroke and needed a small push to avoid 2 stroke, and smoke is definitely a no-go even if the chance are like 10%, still no point in going down that path, plus I prefer to change oil rather than mix it with fuel. The only reason I considered two stroke was that most boat within my budget are so. I'll basically have to be more patient and wait a bit, something will eventually pop up.

12 hours ago, Madwave said:

I know when you put in all these factors it becomes a pain in the ass but in the long run it’ll serve you well it’s good that others pointed out really valuable points here which tou should feel confident to buy it on your own. Btw do you have to get a bowrider? What type of use you want to get out of a boat? Family, fishing etc?

Good point to consider. I prefer a Bowrider as I'm trying to satisfy all the missus preferences to lure her into the boat otherwise trips will be restricted  😅, and having two small kids, they will love the bow . I'm assuming a runabout around 5m will do too. It'll be used for fishing, family sports, day out on the river, and probably going to a FAD on a calm day with a mate after I build confidence.

@kanTec If thats the case a cuddy cab can do the job or for more fishing orientated runabout with a benchseat in the middle or the back will do the job better. You need to consider how many times you’ll be taking the kids and the missus and whose going to get more use out of it for that purpose. Don’t forget kids do get tired quick with watersports and would love a enclosed area to sleep relax but bowriders and cuddy cabins etc will halve your fishing space. Also I don’t know your budget but you should check out some hardtop boats too 👌.

19 hours ago, JonD said:

I still find them smelly enough to put me off them from every boat Ive been on with them.

That's true Jon, reversing especially with wind from the right direction you can get some smell, you will get that with some 4 strokes as well ( to a lesser extend). You are burning a lot more oil in a 2 stroker as it is mixed with the fuel in the crankcase. I moved on from 2 strokes just like every manufacturer has as well. No comparison with 4 strokes, they idle rough and much noisier at idle and mid range and more difficult to reduce emissions that's mainly the reason they are finished. The weight advantage they use to have is mostly gone. 

I have to say my last 2 stroker was a 250 Merc  optimax and she served me well and about the same or even less fuel use as my current 4.2 lt 250 Yamaha. If I was to re-power my current boat It will be a Merc V8 300 hp. Having said that nothing wrong with my Yam, I prefer Mercs .

6 hours ago, Madwave said:

but bowriders and cuddy cabins etc will halve your fishing space

I will disagree for the Bowrider

Take the cushion off my bowrider and add the casting platform and you have almost as much room as a Side Console, the hull on my 539 is high enough that going outside is exactly the same as going outside in a Centre console / Side Console and with self draining deck.

I have 3 kids and they never want to sit anywhere except the front and believe me I get more tired of watersports before they do, plus we set up a base camp on the shore so if they get bored or tired, they just lay under the beach umbrella.

I have a bow cover which clips on in 1 minute along with the large Bimini which provides excellent shade for the odd kid that wants to relax out of the sun.

The problem with Cuddy cabin is nobody wants to sit in there when under way as they all want to watch the world go by, they are great if its a 90% fishing boat but if its a family day out the weather is usually perfect and most families don't go out when its raining or windy.

Another advantage of a bowrider is the number of people you can take, My 539 Easyrider takes 7 adults The 539 Runabout only 6, so with a few kids under 12 we can have two families onboard, which is great for days cruising the Hawkesbury or full days at Shoal bay, We load up the boat shoot across to Jimmy's Beach and get away from the crowds.

I solo launch mine as its so easy, my 14yr daughter can now launch and drive it back on the trailer, so great I no longer have to get wet feet.

p.s

i bought bigger as it gave me more options for activities and people but still easy for solo launch and care.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 4

Oh yes, you will still get some smell from 4 strokes especially with wind from behind and an enclosed cab type setup. 

One of those boats my friend recently sold down here was a bowrider, which they particularly chose because of a young family. The boat they are planning to now buy is a bigger bowrider ( stacer ). Their kids loved being up the front, which is a great place to keep an eye of them from when underway. 

• Like 1

@jeffb5.8 Ofcourse you can put a platform and have a good casting deck out the front but my point is taking it out for his general use. If its say 90% of the time going to be used as a fishing boat he should check out other options where he doesn’t need to go through that hassle. Btw @wrxhoon1 I don’t really mix the oil on my etec it has its own reservoir inside that i fill up. Like @GoingFishing said it is efficient too I launched from Kurnell trolled allthe way to Browns mountain on the way back i went full speed to bundeena ( say 2/3 of the way) fish around the reef and came back and still had some fuel left. Maybe its not the best but does deserve a spot in the mid range and to consider no commercial vessel use a single engine they’ll all have trust issues, torque and power requirements and use few engines no matter the brand. Big commercial vessels will stick to their old diesel engines so there isn’t really an engine thats out there thats the best even though outboards these days are close to being bulletproof lack of maintenance can turn anything into rubbish. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madwave said:

@jeffb5.8 Ofcourse you can put a platform and have a good casting deck out the front but my point is taking it out for his general use. If its say 90% of the time going to be used as a fishing boat he should check out other options where he doesn’t need to go through that hassle. Btw @wrxhoon1 I don’t really mix the oil on my etec it has its own reservoir inside that i fill up. Like @GoingFishing said it is efficient too I launched from Kurnell trolled allthe way to Browns mountain on the way back i went full speed to bundeena ( say 2/3 of the way) fish around the reef and came back and still had some fuel left. Maybe its not the best but does deserve a spot in the mid range and to consider no commercial vessel use a single engine they’ll all have trust issues, torque and power requirements and use few engines no matter the brand. Big commercial vessels will stick to their old diesel engines so there isn’t really an engine thats out there thats the best even though outboards these days are close to being bulletproof lack of maintenance can turn anything into rubbish. 

Your beating a dead horse mate. The 4 stroke boys wont accept or acknowledge anything positive about 2 strokes....even when its experienced first hand personally. Whatever you think you know about your very own outboard....your wrong. They know more about your outboard than you do.

• Haha 1

Though I'm inexperienced in boating, probably I'll give my view from a neutral position.

My friend trades boats, he told me the market prefer modern 4 strokes. The two stroke a boat owner have might be a great one and served flawlessly for many years, but the market prefers the 4 stroke. Eventually I'll need to sell, and the market is the judge how will it sell. 

Wow a bit touchy on the two smokes!!!!...Simple thing to do is ask a few outboard mechanics, after all this is what they do for a living, ask where they would put their money and why.  

• Haha 1