Boat type / choice

Cladone

Hi all, long time follower first time poster and appreciate this site. 

I know it's a very common topic re boat choice, but am confused in narrowing down boat type let alone make. Currently have 28ft mariner flybridge. Looking to down size to a boat in the 21 to 25ft range. 

Don't want a flybridge, would prefer an outboard, have a family, but love to fish and overnight. Looking for a boat that can accommodate family and guests, maybe 7 person capacity minimum, roomy enough to overnight for 2 adults and 2 kids, spacious cockpit and otherwise offshore capable. 70% use will be fishing, other 30% cruising and family. 

Always difficult in these situations and am aware no one boat is great for everything, but if anybody has any suggestion of style boat, type, brand or any comments at all to assist in deciding how to narrow in on my search would be fantastic. 

Only ever had glass never ridden a plate boat so don't even know if I would like them, but am considering all options now to be able test and short list in due course. 

Other than the size range I mentioned, I'd say budget to be up to say 90-100k, but budget probably secondary to determining the right next boat.

Open to any type of boat suggestion to be honest. Boats I'm really liking at the moment whether suitable or not and whether in my price ranges or not etc, to give an idea as to the things im looking at and liking in terms of style are, for whatever its worth:

Signature 640f... Merry fisher marlin... Barracuda 7.... Reflex chianti... Baysporte... Revival... Mclay boats... Caribbean 2300.. Trident 690.. Parker pilothouse 660.. Enclosed haines hunters... Seafarer victory 6... Arvor... Bar crusher... Extreme boats

Something that is capable and strong for varying conditions, entertainment friendly if needed with a bit of space and amenity, some protection from the elements, and say less than 10 years old. 

Like different aspects of the above boats which are all different in some way or another but some guidance and suggestions on the search from all the experienced and knowledgeable people on the forum would be most welcome thanks heaps

There are so many good boats out there & as you say trying to get something that suits everything you want can be hard.

I love the idea of the Stabicrafts, they look solid & think they could handle just about anything(not that I've been on one) but not sure about the cabin space?

Just looked at those Extreme game kings, they look great to as do the Barracuda 7's

There are a lot of Haines guys on here so Im sure they will chime in soon :thumbup:

Im sure with that budget you'll get into something great, touch choice though!

Edited by kingie chaser

Go to a close by Stacer/Quintrex dealer and have a look at their bigger hardtops, not saying to necessarily buy one, but it will give you an idea of what's available "off the shelf" my local guy had one just recently and it might fit your needs. From there it's probably starting to get into custom builds, accommodation for 4 makes it difficult.

I really like the stabis especially the cabs, but I think they are 150k or thereabouts, maybe 120 for the 2100 but cab is small... Barracuda is beautiful and love the walk around. Went to dealer and saw the quinine southerner hardtop I didn't mind it at all. Just wasn't sure about the quality from heaps of reviews that are mixed. Thanks guys

So you suggest something in the 26 to 30ft for all things mentioned I take it? I guess it's sacrifice the bodies or sacrifice wanting the smaller size. I think up to 7m is a really versatile, easier to handle and far more attractive overall proposition. Guess I'll need to find the most suitable even if doesn't tick all the boxes

To be a comfortable 7 person, I really can't see anything under 26ft being suitable.

I have a 28 Caribbean which has a big cockpit, and I  wouldn't want to fish 7 persons.

A family of 4 could be comfortable on a Caribbean 26 (flybridge, I know!) overnight in my view, but if you are used to the cabin in a 28ft Marina, you might struggle to adapt!

That extra couple of feet make a big difference.

Alternatively, look at a cat...at least you get the cockpit width and 2 donks.

Just my 2c...

Best of luck!

Thanks guys, just to clarify, don't want to fish 7, only fish 3 or 4 Max. But want to fit 7 people or so when out with the family and friends etc. In terms of sleeping it's 2 adults to young kids if that makes a difference and won't be often... Most modern boats have a burner and pie warmer, shower rinse can wash hands boil water that's all I need along with a toilet of some kind... Might have to consider a cabin cruiser like those bayliners or something but don't really want those... 

I saw a nice 26 (I think) footer for sale at Soldiers Point marina today. Outboard - Yamaha maybe (it was covered). Think it had $70k on it. I saw a lot of nice boats at that marina... the wife said, “Don’t even think about it” 😂

20 hours ago, Cladone said:

Thanks guys, just to clarify, don't want to fish 7, only fish 3 or 4 Max. But want to fit 7 people or so when out with the family and friends etc. In terms of sleeping it's 2 adults to young kids if that makes a difference and won't be often... Most modern boats have a burner and pie warmer, shower rinse can wash hands boil water that's all I need along with a toilet of some kind... Might have to consider a cabin cruiser like those bayliners or something but don't really want those... 

You didn't say if you want to trailer her or more her.

If you want to trailer the boat you are limited to around the 7 mt mark unless you use a proper truck to tow.

If you want to keep her in the water you may need to go to a minimum of 25' to do what you want.

A 7mt ( or there abouts ) will do all you want besides the overnighting for 4, if you can somehow compromise on that ( depending on kids age) that's what I will be looking at , plenty to choose from, especially used to suit your budget, you are more limited on new.

As you are going to use the boat 70% for fishing , I wouldn't go for anything like Bayliner, Searay etc. I will be looking for a cabin and or walkaround. I have a 22' Grady White Seafarer 228, fantastic boat but the cab wouldn't be big enough for 4 and very expensive, plenty of deck space though. Boats are always a compromise, it depends on what you want to compromise on.

If you are going to trailer make sure you buy a boat that is under 2.5 mtrs wide, some dealers will tell you the boat is 2.5 mtrs even if they are 2.59, check it on the manufacturers website. Most 21' plus American boats are 2.59 due to their road limits there . Weight is another thing when you get to 7 mtrs, try to keep under 3.5T gross, if in doubt put her on a weigh bridge before you buy. If you plan to fish a long way offshore fuel rapacity is another thing to consider. Again don't rely on the dealers or manufacturers fuel use as it is under calm water, light load and ideal conditions, you don't want to carry jerry cans on board.

If you like alloy boats , they are a little cheaper ( as a rule) than glass and a little lighter, smaller engines and less fuel.

If you are happy to keep her in the water you have a lot more options, 28' is probably ideal but you will be looking at a much older boat and mostly inboards.

Good luck on your search, interesting to know what you end up with.

• Like 2

Gradys are weapons. Honestly the boats really taking my interest are caribbean 2300 and merry fisher marlin and barracuda 7. Kids are very young and the overnighting with all the fam very infrequent. 

I think I just need to get out there and physically check a few out, I'm sure it will quickly sway my view on things. 

The query was more geared to see if anybody had any specific suggestions or comments to assist narrowing the search and so far, very pleased as some useful info and some items I hadn't considered. 

Incidentally anyone have any experience or opinion on those baysport boats made in Noosa? All reviews online are from that guy who sells em up in brissy so can't take his comments without a grain of salt or more I imagine, but look decent and good value, even bordering cheap (relatively speaking for its size and inclusions etc) which concerns me a little

• 1 month later...

Continued my hunt and i have found and checked out the Reflex Chianti.  NZ boat, i think using the old Haines hulls, or some relationship between the two companies with some cross over of some sort. 

Not much info about them to be honest online, but the limited opinions all seem to be somewhat positive.  Specifically, the Reflex Reef Runner (sometimes known as R7 offshore) and the Reflex 720 (sometimes referred to as the 705) - i think both are 7m LOA.  Both hardtop.  Anybody know anything at all about this company or these specific boats?  Greatly appreciated...

Still looking at some alternatives, but was just wanting to get any feedback possible in the meantime

Read an article that said they were locally made (NZ), but just searched that specific query and it did say China, you are right... hhmm.  All reports seem to be quite positive as is the local warranty... have to dig further

amazing what you can find when looking for something specific ... :) they are essentially the Haines Traveller hulls and just in case it is of interest, these were originally made in NZ for over 40 yrs, after the earthquake they moved to China, but local NZ folk still physically there for quality control etc.  Made with resin infused fibreglass and no timber which is cool but not ground breaking.  Everything except for hull made in NZ only hull is done in China (wish it was other way around :)). However, once complete, boats are sent to different (European) countries for independent certifications entirely removed from anybody in the build process.  In light of all of that, i do have some comfort, and i probably would not discount it entirely because China is involved, although my instinct did gravitate to the same general attitude if i am being honest:

This Safe Positive Floatation hull has been Independently Certified to meet Australian AS1799.1 Builders Plate Standards, the hull has also been Independently Tested and Certified to meet strict CE international Stability, Freeboard and Buoyancy standards, required by over 30 countries including Germany, UK, France and Denmark. 
Unlike some of its competitors whose standards are "Self Assessed" the Reflex commitment to saftey, Zero structural timber construction, strong one piece, foam filled internal stringer system, result in a quiet and strong Hull design.

Something to consider of relevance anyway, so thanks for pointing it out.... 

4 hours ago, Cladone said:

.  Everything except for hull made in NZ only hull is done in China (wish it was other way around :)).

Most boat manufacturers supply the hull to the dealers and they fit them out, most will include steering but not much else. Some will supply a complete boat turn key ready as they either own or have contracts with engine manufacturers. I don't have a problem with that as long as the fitting dealer is reputable . You get to choose the engine manufacturer.

You haven't specified if you are trailering or wet berth. If you intend to trailer you have to exclude a few makes unless you want to get involved with wide loads ( very restrictive) or do what a lot of people do, tow illegally. I'm just point out stuff for your consideration before you drop $$$$. In the end you are the only one that can decide on a boat that suits your needs.

If you are going to buy a new boat from a little known manufacturer, buy from a dealer close to you ( same city) and preferably one that has been going for a long time and will be there to honor any warranty issues.

Edited by wrxhoon1

I have heard a lot of people say mclay is very hard riding, but am keen on them and will check. Stabi out of my price range. 

Boat will either be wet berth or dry stack. 

Beam is 2.5m anyway and length 7m overall. Engine is new mercury v6 3.4L.

I will check boat also as all reviews thus far have been really positive. 

Even though you prepared to drop 80+k doesn't appear to get you much by way of options for near new (which is my preference) 

I like the Yellowfin 7000, surtees and bar crusher, I like the Parker pilot house 660 too especially the walkaround capability and use of bow very easily, similar to barracuda 7 or merry fisher marlin 695.

If I had the cash I'd probably end up with the barracuda

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd just update this thread and thanks for any ongoing opinions or suggestions. 

I'm really liking the parker pilothouse 660 and am able to get it in my price range. 

All of its use, versatility and function aside which really ticks more boxes than many other boats for me and the family, is a query on how you would likely expect this boat to handle.  While I will ultimately ride it, just curious about some things:

http://www.parkerpoland.eu/models-Product-Name_Parker+660+Pilothouse_id_24.html

You will see in some of the images at bottom of the Page of link I pasted there are some dimensions. 

One appears to be bow entry angle which shows like 38. I know it's transom deadrise is only 18 degrees. Other relevant measurements are also shown. 

I would typically expect such a transom deadrise to mean more fuel efficient, capable of more shallows and perhaps more stable at rest, but imagine would take a pounding in any decent seas. 

Yet, I know it's rated category b. I don't place a great deal on that kind of stuff, but just interested because category b would mean 40knt winds and 4m seas. I just can't see it. 

Below are some videos of this boat. It's called something else in Norway but the videos in link below are the exact same boat. 

Just trying to determine on pen and paper at least how this boat would be expected to handle in what conditions. 

May be mistaken about many assumptions and there may be alternatives out there I hadn't considered, but the dumb questions are the ones never asked I guess.