Lure retrievers. Recommendations?

Bort

Has anyone had any actual experience or recommendations regarding retrieving stuck lures?
There are a number of lure retrieving gadgets and poles out there in the market. I'm not sure how well they work.

I make my own very simple but very affective . Snapper lead with 2 x short lengths of thin chain attached and strung on venetion cord with clip for attaching to your snagged line. Simply maintain tension on the line, clip lead to line and allow to slowly fall to where lure is snagged, when it hits the lure giggle the cord a bit and it will snag on the trebles and you pull on the cord to release the snag. Sometimes damages the hooks but better than loosing the lure.

Will send photo if needed.

Frank

• Like 1

They all work but not all the time. I have had success with the Tackleback model, which slides down the line while attached to a cord, but you must have a snap in the rig. It's a bit hard to operate on your own at times.  And if there is something in the snag that stops it sliding down it won't work. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

They all work but not all the time. I have had success with the Tackleback model, which slides down the line while attached to a cord, but you must have a snap in the rig. It's a bit hard to operate on your own at times.  And if there is something in the snag that stops it sliding down it won't work. 

We have used the tackleback at Glenbawn for many years with success.

There is also the golf ball retriever (one with coil head) so swordie tells me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

We have used the tackleback at Glenbawn for many years with success.

There is also the golf ball retriever (one with coil head) so swordie tells me 

Hey Donna, Im curiuos about the success rate on those??

I just start the motor up & move back in the opposite direction to the drift & snag.

I get my lure back probably 90% of the time Im snagged.

So Im curiuos if the loss rate on those is still 10% or more??

• Like 1

Used to use tackleback. Did not like it as the weight  bent easily the light spin  rod  and it was difficult to maintain proper high angle to slip it to the end to the snagged lure when fishing land based. Also the wire did not grab lure quickly and reliably.  So, switched to a quick DIY solution - a sinker with a couple of large a bit rusted  old trebles. Lighter sinker did not bend the rod,  the high angle easily delivered sinker with trebles to the lure. Trebles were 'catching' and holding lure better than tackleback wire, so the process was finishing much faster. 

If it is warm and shallow then a 'hand release' produced up to half of dozen of 'bonus' lures from a decent snag.

• Like 2