Fraser Island 23 - 27 August

FishOutaWater

Hey Guys,

Just over 3 weeks to go till I go for the first time and I am pumped!

I just have a few questions though.

1. of course during the early morning and arvos, I will be targeting tailor with metal slugs and pillies. At night is it worth trying for Jewies on these dates? Would you say the tides and moon are favorable? and what about baits, i was thinking of hurling tailor head, or fillet out on my Gary Howard 10kg rod?

2. First and foremost I am a bait fisho, however I am taking a few midsize and larger poppers, and my Pen Prevail 10-15kg paired with My Shimano Saragossa 10 000. I was hoping to connect with a GT or other pelagics during the day,

Is it worth trying? How would you target them? and where? I was thinking sandy cape because i'm lead to believe there are sand flats up there? Or indian Head, (of course adhering to the closure 400m north of indian head)

3. During the day I will be also fishing for bread and butter fish whiting bream small trevers etc so I will be collecting pippies. Is there anywhere on the island that sells live Beach worms?  I cant for the live of me catch them...   I have spent hours trying...  

4. Is there anywhere on the island where you can chuck a cast net and get live bait, herring etc?...

5. is there a specific UHF Chanel people generally use on the island? I'm thinking for places like Ngkala rocks where you would like to know if there is someone barreling the other way before you try.

6. Do the fresh water filling points on the island have a standard outlet that you can screw a garden hose attachment onto such as this Nylex 12mm Universal Adaptor? And are you able to drive up to the taps?

Thanks for the help guys!  If there is anyone over there on these dates, feel free to give me a Yell, I will be in the White modified Pajero Sport.. (Probably the only PS on the island..  HAHA)

My Car.jpg

Edited by FishOutaWater
Additional info

Unfortuanley never been to Frazer but If I were you I would jump onto 4X4Earth for anything to do with Frazer.

Lots of the guys on there frequent Frazer so Ask the same questions & also use the search tab for existing info.

Not sure if they will be able to help on the fishing subject though?

Nice rig, looks like your well set up for 4x4ing but I'd take 4 maxx track not 2 if I were you for the sand.

• Like 1

Good luck, my plans were just dashed with the border closure. I've always wanted to fish the Tailor run. I've only fished the west side (bayside).

When I was there last you could cast a net at Kingfisher Bay where the ferry comes in, the bait are thick. You should check local restrictions. During the Tailor run there is a No Fish Zone from Waddy Pt to just south of Indian head.

I would pack some Surecatch Knight lures for GTs Queenies etc.

Dont take any risks driving on the beach, like trying to time the waves to get around the rocks. It can easily end in tears.

28 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Dont take any risks driving on the beach, like trying to time the waves to get around the rocks. It can easily end in tears.

Yep, this happened last week.

Sometimes people forget they are on sand & not the highway!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-26/fatal-fraser-island-vehicle-rollover-beach-track-queensland/12493052#:~:text=An international tourist has been,on Sunday morning%2C police say.&text=A passenger in the back,island for further medical treatment.

14 hours ago, savit said:

Might be worth asking also on a local/QLD forum.

Will try 4x4 Earth

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Unfortuanley never been to Frazer but If I were you I would jump onto 4X4Earth for anything to do with Frazer.

Lots of the guys on there frequent Frazer so Ask the same questions & also use the search tab for existing info.

Not sure if they will be able to help on the fishing subject though?

Nice rig, looks like your well set up for 4x4ing but I'd take 4 maxx track not 2 if I were you for the sand.

Yeah thanks mate, as a Toyota guy, I was going to buy a 2012ish prado, but missus talked me into a new truck (She didn't want me buying someone elses problems), and I didn't want the Toyota 2.8 with the DPF Issues.  Factor in they are almost 20k dearer than the PS and don't get half the tech that the PS has... 

I'm glad I did go for the Pajero Sport... I have had her since November and I love it! 

I was surprised how well she goes. Especially off road and even more so with the lift.. Very under rated. Also they actually have one of the highest payload capacities even more than a 200 series cruiser... 200 series 610kg, Prado  545kg, vs 670kg for the Pajero Sport, This is handy when you are adding about 200kg of accessories, in my case Bullbar, Winch, towbar, BD underbody protection roof platform, my fat ass and the missus + camping gear.. and kids...  if you have any.. I dont!... 😁...  That I know about anyway...😏

5 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

Won't be the only PS, plenty of them over there....... Buried under the sand after getting bogged 🤣

Yeah,  Ok Then...  hahaha  There was a time when I would of said that...   Then I saw the light. 😉

5 hours ago, Ryder said:

Good luck, my plans were just dashed with the border closure. I've always wanted to fish the Tailor run. I've only fished the west side (bayside).

When I was there last you could cast a net at Kingfisher Bay where the ferry comes in, the bait are thick. You should check local restrictions. During the Tailor run there is a No Fish Zone from Waddy Pt to just south of Indian head.

I would pack some Surecatch Knight lures for GTs Queenies etc.

Oh that sucks about the border closure...  It is for a reason though... But it still sucks..

I have family in Sydney in one of the declared hot zones..  I have 3 weeks of Christmas annual leave booked, If I have  to be in quarantine for 14 days when I get back the trip is pretty pointless, not to mention the cost of a hotel for 14 days...

I live about 30 minutes from Bribie Island and have been camping up near rainbow beach a few times, so I am experienced on the sand, (Never been bogged touch wood)  2 words TYRE PRESSURES. if you are driving Like an idiot those washouts will catch you out..  

There are 3 types of beach drivers, The experienced responsible, normally the fishos 😏  With the exception of those few fishos that insist on parking their rig right at the waters edge where you wanna be driving.) 

The international tourist/ Backpackers that are armed with a rental 80 series, and Near zero knowledge of safe beach driving..(Not their fault)  Rental companies should take more responsibility in educating the back packers, maybe make them watch a safety video.... then tragedies like the one below may be more less likely..  😟

Then you get the moron P Platers Normally in 4 inch lifted GU Patrols that think they are in a comp truck, they spend their day doing doughnuts..you know the type.. Not all P Platers are like this, but the overwhelming majority that drive patrols are...🤔

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Edited by FishOutaWater

33 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

Yeah thanks mate, as a Toyota guy, I was going to buy a 2012ish prado, but missus talked me into a new truck (She didn't want me buying someone elses problems), and I didn't want the Toyota 2.8 with the DPF Issues.  Factor in they are almost 20k dearer than the PS and don't get half the tech that the PS has... 

I was surprised how well she goes. Especially off road and even more so with the lift.. Very under rated. Also they actually have one of the highest payload capacities even more than a 200 series cruiser... 200 series 610kg, Prado  545kg, vs 670kg for the Pajero Sport, This is handy when you are adding about 200kg of accessories, in my case Bullbar, Winch, towbar, BD underbody protection roof platform, my fat ass and the missus + camping gear.. and kids...  if you have any.. I dont!... 😁...  That I know about anyway...😏

I live about 30 minutes from Bribie Island and have been camping up near rainbow beach a few times, so I am experienced on the sand, (Never been bogged touch wood)  2 words TYRE PRESSURES. if you are driving Like an idiot those washouts will catch you out..  

I have an MN Triton & think it was great value @ $28K new, all the Toyota boys bad mouth them but then they were all spending $45-48K back then,.

For me it was a way to get into a new car & 4 wheel driving at a price I could afford, without an ABN!!

Your GMV figures dont sound right?

I have a Tare of 2045kg & a GVM of 3 tonne, I would have thought the others would have more!

Only problem for me is there is no GVM upgrade for th MN's, they are available for MQ's & onwards.

The specs on the PS look pretty good!

I like the idea of the centre lock diff in HL & LL, should keep you out of trouble with the right pressures & tyres.

Just be aware of your EGR system, unless something has changed since the MN's(which I doubt) the Mitzy's have pretty poor EGR's which is why nearly everyone fits a catch can.

If you want to hook up in 4X4Earth I will PM you my user name, will say gday when you post.

Should be an amazing trip, I will visit there myself one day, probably should have gone when I lived on the Sunshine coast at Perigian beach.

Hope the trip goes well, watch out for the Dingo's if you have kids 😉

Edited by kingie chaser

Hi there,

Magic place, Fraser is.

Don't remember there being anywhere to buy live beach worms but most shops have frozen ones and they were BIG.

Can't help with any of the camping info, we stayed at Kingfisher bay. When I was there, there was a couple of days that there were some spaniards who were more than happy to cooperate in snipping up/off all of my plastics. No pelagics of any size though. Some good flatties off the wharf on five inch plastics. Off the wharf some people had success netting herring on plastics, otherwise you can get them on bait jigs. Don't be surprised if you get a BREAM on a five inch lure. It must be a wild world under the water there.

As I was staying on the western side of the island I didn't spend much time on the beach but managed to get myself a 53cm tailor for half an hour's effort. Any gutter is worth a try.

We got bogged once, but people there are friendly and cooperative. Not sure with COVID if it will be quieter, so make sure you have all the requisite equipment and know how to use it (sounds like you do).

Be careful out there (dingoes and driving), but it's a magical place and well worth seeing with friends and family. Have a great trip.

Mike

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:
14 hours ago, savit said:

Might be worth asking also on a local/QLD forum.

Will try 4x4 Earth

That is for offroad driving. Try Ausfish - for the local QLD fishing advice.

• Like 1

Best to get on a facebook group for the most up to date info

Here is one that looks good - Fraser Island Adventures 4x4 Fun and Fishing https://www.facebook.com/groups/2008655092742386/

Check this govt page too for the impassible roads, recreational fishing closures and closed walking tracks https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/kgari-fraser/camping 

I am interested in your trip. We did a lap last year towing a caravan in Land Rover Discovery 4 - a superb vehicle by the way! We did a sand recovery in WA with ease. 

Here some pics posted on 29/7/2020 on that facebook group

110163351_10222495738003541_1495006970768877739_o.jpg

115558505_10157854430881902_8853567856180076488_o.jpg

115320209_2668248640098525_2191813033597717064_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I have an MN Triton & think it was great value @ $28K new, all the Toyota boys bad mouth them but then they were all spending $45-48K back then,.

For me it was a way to get into a new car & 4 wheel driving at a price I could afford, without an ABN!!

Your GMV figures dont sound right?

I have a Tare of 2045kg & a GVM of 3 tonne, I would have thought the others would have more!

Only problem for me is there is no GVM upgrade for th MN's, they are available for MQ's & onwards.

The specs on the PS look pretty good!

I like the idea of the centre lock diff in HL & LL, should keep you out of trouble with the right pressures & tyres.

Just be aware of your EGR system, unless something has changed since the MN's(which I doubt) the Mitzy's have pretty poor EGR's which is why nearly everyone fits a catch can.

If you want to hook up in 4X4Earth I will PM you my user name, will say gday when you post.

Should be an amazing trip, I will visit there myself one day, probably should have gone when I lived on the Sunshine coast at Perigian beach.

Hope the trip goes well, watch out for the Dingo's if you have kids 😉

yeah vallue for money did it for me, level of equipment!

She also has a factory rear dif lock ;) 

Yeah regarding weights see the attached picture taken directly from mitsi's website :)  Yeah, no GVM Upgrade for the pajero sport either.. :(  TBH I'm at work i'm too tired to do the maths. haha #LifeOfaShiftWorker

I will probably get a catch can with next service.

on 4x4 earth I am: 4x4_Gone_Wild :) 

I am so looking forward  to it, I'm doing it solo so it will be great to switch off!   I was up at Perigian for the first time a few weeks ago, stunning!

Yeah no kids here :)

Payload.JPG.6f566e20fcf98704f309ec00be47a19d.JPG

Edited by FishOutaWater
  • Like 1

I have never fished there but someone got a large GT off one of the beaches there a couple weeks ago. If you live bait tailor that are as close to the legal mark ( Just over 35 cm which is the legal limit) you are in the run for anything big but me personally, I would be trying really hard with the big poppers or at least having it rigged and ready for anything that might swim past or bust up. Mind you GT are still hit or miss anywhere but if you put the time in and goo off the rocks you are in for a  better chance. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, James Clain said:

I have never fished there but someone got a large GT off one of the beaches there a couple weeks ago. If you live bait tailor that are as close to the legal mark ( Just over 35 cm which is the legal limit) you are in the run for anything big but me personally, I would be trying really hard with the big poppers or at least having it rigged and ready for anything that might swim past or bust up. Mind you GT are still hit or miss anywhere but if you put the time in and goo off the rocks you are in for a  better chance. 

Cheers mate!,

I saw that GT...  OMG I would have a heart attack..   lol

Yeah, I'm thinking of giving slide baiting a go on my beach rod and alvey (Which has drag), Unfortunatly I would like to use my Shimano Saragosa for that however its spooled with braid.  I was going  to buy a spare spool and put mono on it, but I have spent a fortune on this trip...    Hope the missus doesn't find out😓

I will more than likely try popping off the rocks I also have a few minnows to play with, plus my metal slugs.  Using the poppers what leader would you use? I have 30lb Daiwa jbraid spooled. keeping in mind if the spaniards are on.

Edited by FishOutaWater

1 hour ago, FishOutaWater said:

Cheers mate!,

I saw that GT...  OMG I would have a heart attack..   lol

Yeah, I'm thinking of giving slide baiting a go on my beach rod and alvey (Which has drag), Unfortunatly I would like to use my Shimano Saragosa for that however its spooled with braid.  I was going  to buy a spare spool and put mono on it, but I have spent a fortune on this trip...    Hope the missus doesn't find out😓

I will more than likely try popping off the rocks I also have a few minnows to play with, plus my metal slugs.  Using the poppers what leader would you use? I have 30lb Daiwa jbraid spooled. keeping in mind if the spaniards are on.

You an slide bait with braid if you do a PR or FG knot, 30lb braid seems a little light. I was going off Byron rocks and felt uneasy about 70lb (apparently saltiga braid in 70lb braks around 90lb) with 100lb leader, I have been smoked on this setup Saragosa 25000 shimano terez 100lb in Sydney by a big kingy and Gt certainly go a touch harder than kings although they tend to be less set on trying to break you off. 30 lb is very light for any pelagic GT. I would recommend respooling with at least 60 especially if you are going off the rocks. I personally will always feel uneasy going less than 100. If you stick with 30 lb then I would go really really heavy leader compared to the 30lb like 70lb or higher, fluro or tough trace  because you will probably get smoked into the rocks. 

Regards

• Like 1