just gotta keep casting

dirvin21

Had a day off with nowhere to be so launched the boat with the aim of putting in a long session. The weather didn't take long to reveal it's intentions with a nasty SW wind making it very unpleasant. To say it was a slow start was an understatement the river seemed devoid of life and to top it off my favourite deep sunken log must have washed away in the last king tides. As the wind got stronger the ramp looked more inviting the only option I had was to shoot upstream and hopefully find some sheltered sections. At  hours without even a follow my desperation led to me digging through tackle and finding a blade which I basically never use, and second cast it gets hit the fish didn't connect. A coule of casts later and the blade gets hit again this time it stays connected so after 3 hours and 8 minutes the first fish is on the boat 

P1010297.JPG.02422e19c3ffb8bdbb79fed02cc09037.JPG

a big eye to break the doughnut 

With some renewed mojo kept the casts going and didn't take long to find another taker

P1010298.JPG.60d4686ee812a91a322dfdaacc8423c1.JPG

a GT no size but still fish on a tough day, ended up cracking the pattern

P1010301.JPG.3bda18e9e604488ef31f2f593dc5950e.JPG

ust cast the blade into the middle of the river and intercept the patrolling schools after awhile there were even small bust-ups so chucked hardbodies at them

P1010308.JPG.4ce4e3f1acfca66e91b42239881292dd.JPG

working further up into some deeper water the blade again got eaten this time by a proper fish which my 6lb gear was no match for and busted me off and left me scratching my head, thinking a bigger trev started casting a 5inch plastic on 20lb around the deep hole took about 10 minutes but in exactly the same spot the plastic gets monstered as well, again I was rapidly buried but with some gentle persuation the fish came back out into open water then put the power on again was quite an effort driving the electric out while wrestling a submarine but after a few near misses with structure the latest beast was in the net

P1040176.thumb.JPG.fa4cbbcaaf55643f48dc0cc64770b384.JPG

another big black-spot only this monster went 55cm and bested a pb I never thought I'd beat in the Nambucca, luckily I had the tripod so I could get a shot using the timer 

P1010304.JPG.ca6e9c19534a0d2007d1b2283b8befd8.JPG

the fish was released in perfect health to continue it's reign of terror even managed to sray me with freezing water as it too off

that fish pretty much ended the session which involved some serious casting but the rewards were definetly worth it 

cheers for reading 

Dave 

they were all the same size class but they rescued an alomost certain doughnut 

• Like 9

Nice cod. Shame you cannot keep them anymore, as they are good eating. I caught a few in Port Hacking over the years, many years ago, released most but ate a couple, very nice.

A few of the bigger ones reefed me, and would not budge, even after letting the line go slack for an hour or 2.

Not that many about these days, so they need to be released.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice cod. Shame you cannot keep them anymore, as they are good eating. I caught a few in Port Hacking over the years, many years ago, released most but ate a couple, very nice.

A few of the bigger ones reefed me, and would not budge, even after letting the line go slack for an hour or 2.

Not that many about these days, so they need to be released.

There are loads of black-spots in my local they'd soon become rare if people started keeping them it's funny I've never seen a protected "estuary cod" in the Nambucca 

• Like 1