Swansea Salmon

Wildcat

The birds were working a big school of Salmon off Moon island this morning, they only hung around about an hour with 5 boats throwing everything they had at them, I was trolling the old faithful Halco laser pro Red head which was irresistible to their feeding frenzy.

Bit of fun for a while on the light gear watching the line scream off on every hook up, and then another big run when they get near the boat.

Stripped and salted these up for a big day on the Reds at Broughton tomorrow.

B215C57E-865B-41C2-88FF-42AFFC5F9777.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Kingie they just don’t do it for me cooking them up.. have tried a few methods in the past dusted, crumbed and fried, prepped them up right bled, gilled, gutted and iced.

Pelicans got a good feed at the ramp though all the heads and frames, one of the big boys stole two big fillets right in front of me, slid his big beak up the cleaning bench twice !!

how can you get cranky at em?...

43 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

how can you get cranky at em?...

Grab his bill and pull the fillet out!!

The pelicans at my mother's place just line up and wait, with one old bugger grabbing the youngsters around the head and pushing them away, and he then heads back to the top of the queue to be hand fed.

• Like 1

I think I was a bit more concerned about my P,s & Q,s after he grabbed the second one yelling at him f off you big fnc, looking up to see a nice young family walking along the waterfront in their Sunday’s best looking at me in horror. Oops.

• Haha 2

Nice work! 

We headed wide for tuna and saw the birds working around Moon Island on the run out (I probably have you guys on video). I'll be back up in my boat to give them a crack on the wand if they stay around.

Hope to see a report pop in of some big reds! 😜🤙

1 hour ago, Brendan Monks said:

Nice work! 

We headed wide for tuna and saw the birds working around Moon Island on the run out (I probably have you guys on video). I'll be back up in my boat to give them a crack on the wand if they stay around.

Hope to see a report pop in of some big reds! 😜🤙

What a great day on the water today clean clear water, no current, slight swell, no wind, sun out, all adds up to no fish biting!!! good day anyway better than working (although no job at the moment thanks to COVID) steamed home from Broughton at 52kph.

Lines in around 6am I ended up with 2 keepers just on size, returned a few under size, moved around the water depths, washes and structure they just weren’t on.

Although my mate decided not to head up to the island but shoot off out the front to one of his favourite drop offs and cleaned up with 3 beasts 3-4kg’s on livies and strip bait....

How did you go on the Tuna.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James Clain said:

Great fish, funny how taste works. Salmon is one of my favourites but most find it very disagreeable. What size halco lazer pro do you troll? 

Cheers

Hey mate 100mm Three treble, I’ve got a heap of hard and softs from huge to tiny, worked up in Darwin for 3 years smashing Barra and thread fin etc, I just pull anything any colour out of the lure box sometimes and give em a run, you’ll be surprised what fish will hit down here. Mackerel, Mac tuna, Bonito, Salmon, Kingies. I just like eating scaly reef fish.

• Thanks 1

Well done, sounds like a fun session. I haven't done much salting @Wildcat I thought salt was used to preserve the meat, but if you're headed out the next day what are the other benefits of salting? Also, how much salt roughly is needed for that amount of salmon so I can give it a try?

Those pelicans are getting braver and closer each time, they must be doing alright with the amount of salmon being cleaned at that table!

I snuck out Sunday also with the old man for a fish out the heads after a gentlemans start (11am), we trolled a couple of divers around moon hoping for some hits but didn't get any (13cm yozurri and a 15cm halco which have worked well before).

We stopped off moon to get some yackas but only managed a variety of other species on the bait jig after half hour of burlying with pellets and old bait (any yakka tips would be appreciated here guys!).

Then when headed off to a further reef we stopped a few miles out to check a GPS mark I had on the phone and heard some "clunks" from the engine so we turned back to look at it in the safety of the channel. Turns out when I just did a service I attached the gear shaft back up in a shorter position when putting the leg back on.. it was spinning forward a bit in neutral, lesson learnt for next time and a couple of beers later in the driveway the boat was clean and tuned up. Still a nice day with the old man.

21 hours ago, lakelad said:

Well done, sounds like a fun session. I haven't done much salting @Wildcat I thought salt was used to preserve the meat, but if you're headed out the next day what are the other benefits of salting? Also, how much salt roughly is needed for that amount of salmon so I can give it a try?

Those pelicans are getting braver and closer each time, they must be doing alright with the amount of salmon being cleaned at that table!

I snuck out Sunday also with the old man for a fish out the heads after a gentlemans start (11am), we trolled a couple of divers around moon hoping for some hits but didn't get any (13cm yozurri and a 15cm halco which have worked well before).

We stopped off moon to get some yackas but only managed a variety of other species on the bait jig after half hour of burlying with pellets and old bait (any yakka tips would be appreciated here guys!).

Then when headed off to a further reef we stopped a few miles out to check a GPS mark I had on the phone and heard some "clunks" from the engine so we turned back to look at it in the safety of the channel. Turns out when I just did a service I attached the gear shaft back up in a shorter position when putting the leg back on.. it was spinning forward a bit in neutral, lesson learnt for next time and a couple of beers later in the driveway the boat was clean and tuned up. Still a nice day with the old man.

Look up salted strip baits on the web heaps of info, heaps of salt I buy a couple of bags, doesn’t matter when you salt just so happens I was heading out the next day.
Most important is that tough skin Bonitto is the best, stops the nippers taking your bait, stays on your hooks and all the commotion attracts the larger fish and big 7-8 O hooks snooted rig.

• Thanks 1