Blowering Dam

big Neil

Hi all. Just got back from an overnighter to Blowering Dam in the Snowy Mountains. An eventful trip but for the wrong reasons!

We arrived Saturday arvo and set up camp. As we were about to head out fishing this guy came up and asked for help towing his van out of a creek bed. We broke the tie down straps and also the anchor rope trying to drag his overladen van back to solid ground. Lucky for him we spotted a vehicle with a winch and got them to help drag him out. We lost about an hour before we proceeded to the ramp to launch the mate's boat. Ran through the checklist (as you do). I said "bungs in?" and the reply was "yep they are left in". Launch completed and I thought the boat looked to be listing to one side. I parked the car and trailer and he drove the boat to the camp site. Plan was to run into the shallows, load the gear and head off for some Cod fishing. The boat hit bottom much further out than anticipated and the list was much more apparent. It was then that mate realised that there was water in the boat. A mate of his had borrowed the boat for a day and for some reason took the bungs out. A frantic search and they were found, quickly put in and the bilge pump started. It took over half an hour to rid the water from inside the boat but eventually we set off to fish, a few hours behind schedule. We fished well into the night and trolled/ cast big lures but got nothing. Back to camp and first thing was to get a fire going and cook some dinner. We were joined by another guy who had travelled down from Cooma. Nice sitting by the blazing wood fire chatting about this and that.

The next morning saw us up before sun up and we cooked a scrumptious brekky over the burning embers. Went down well with hot coffee and we were ready to head out again to try for the elusive Murray Cod. Right then a guy walked over and told us that his boat had taken off during the night and was now drifting towards one of the many exposed islands. So we took him down in our boat to rescue his stranded vessel. We got on the water a bit later than planned and set about trying to snare the big green monsters of the dam. Once again, despite our best efforts we came up blank so decided to head back to camp and pack up.

We packed up, cleaned up and headed home. We got as far as Tumut when there was a phone call from his son. His car wouldn't start and he didn't know what to do. His Dad asked where he was and he replied "playing soccer in Tumut". How lucky was that! So we fixed his car up and he drove home with his girlfriend.

So what started out as a fishing trip ended up more like a fixing trip. Here are a few photos for your entertainment...alas none of any fish caught. Cheers, bn

IMG_2805.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.8fc2a6e72c8203daf61a8ca54f219151.jpgIMG_2820.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.aeaa8edb018454b591eca1bc31617ac8.jpgIMG_2812.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.0c453029ef48f4650531a6a5e256769f.jpgIMG_2815.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.1704cc7cc93416ab5b6d8936ee4040f5.jpgIMG_2818.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.a561acc602449e1502c2bc5ad3d28824.jpgIMG_2824.jpgrs.thumb.jpg.a1f5feccf00585d66766c6e62c2150f3.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Karma will repay you on the next adventure

Hope so Rick LOL. Be nice to get among some fish...

5 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I love the snowys. What a stunning part of the world.

Shame about the fishing...

Certainly a lovely part of Australia. It's already recovering from the bush fires.

12 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Good work there Neil, kindness doesn't go astray.

Good photos to 👍

I would hope for some help if I found myself in a predicament... always nice to help out if you can. Hope ur keeping well.

• Like 1

Hi Neil. Sounds like you had quiet an adventure, but at least you got to sit in a boat on the water with some great surroundings and no doubt good company.

I have never fished Blowering , it looks like a nice place. Good job helping others out of a spot of bother.

Frank

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

So what started out as a fishing trip ended up more like a fixing trip. Here are a few photos for your entertainment...alas none of any fish caught. Cheers, bn

Crickey, bit of calamity BN.

Still its great to just get out in the country, well for you different country anyway & considering some aussies are locked down again 🙂

I had to rescue a family in the Landcruiser once that were sunk down to their axles in a state forest, didnt have my winch at the time so had to use my snatch strap, ended up smashing my head into roof of my cab, had a lump for a week but managed to free them  🤕

Never thought about Blowering before, do they stock it with both cod & trout?? 

kingie chaser    Never thought about Blowering before, do they stock it with both cod & trout??

Yep it is stocked. It's actually open all year round for Murray Cod (along with Copeton Dam). Fisheries reckon the natural breeding in both these dams is insignificant so they don't have a closed season. Presently at about 44%. I haven't fished it before but probably will this Summer as it's only a 3.5 hr trip for me. Having said that if the Murrumbidgee improves this Summer I won't have to travel more than 15 minutes from home. Time will tell,

You paid dearly for the helping hand which you extended, bn

5 hours ago, frankS said:

Hi Neil. Sounds like you had quiet an adventure, but at least you got to sit in a boat on the water with some great surroundings and no doubt good company.

I have never fished Blowering , it looks like a nice place. Good job helping others out of a spot of bother.

Frank

Hi Frank. A very unusual day ON THE WATER. No huge waves or pouring rain like we have experienced on our most recent trips to Burrinjuck. Like Burrinjuck it's quite a popular place being fairly close to Wagga and Albury. Would take a fair bit of practice to gain proficiency here (like Burrinjuck) but should be ok when the weather warms up. All the usual stuff in there (Cod, Yellas, Redfin, Trout, Carp).

Hope that you and Val are keeping well. Cheers, bn

6 hours ago, motiondave said:

looks like a great trip, yeah, bugger about the fishing, but well done helping others out.
Maybe next trip those earthworms will be fat and plentiful enough to take out to catch a few fish :D

The worm farm is coming along very nicely Dave. Won't have a shortage when the fishing picks up in December. Cheers mate, bn

6 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I love the snowys. What a stunning part of the world.

Shame about the fishing...

Sure is and quite handy for people living in the Riverina. TBH I was just glad to get on the water for a couple of sessions. Catching is always a bonus. Cheers, bn