Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out this arvo, as the forecast was looking good. First drop at 2.30, then finished up at sun set.

The blue spots were scattered, one or two in one spot, then nothing for a while. A few unders returned as well. A slow drift with a light northerly breeze kicking in just after first drop. Not too much swell. A few spikies in places, used a couple for bait.

No sign of life, apart from various birds, and a few squawks from penguins.

Not big flatties, the best about 41cm, and an occy. Don't know whether to eat the occy or keep it for bait , never cooked them before.

fish.jpeg.253_files.thumb.jpg.d3f6c9f1e7af7eb62950e41f49b30597.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Thank you. Very few boats out considering the good conditions outside.

Dunno about where you fish but down sydney way some days have been pretty hard for the kings and other fish...next to no point trying for jewies right now in syd 

But other species have been reliable

7 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Nice bag flatties Yowie. Interesting to pull out that little Occy. looks a cracker bait for a Jew, I know what I'd be doing with him, 6/0 circle first thing in the morning...

Rich

I tossed the first one back, only very small, then thought maybe I should have kept him. The second one was bigger, so kept him. I had 2 more hanging at different times, wind them up a little way, they let go, drop the line back to the bottom and a short time later they are hanging on again. They were occies, not squid.

20 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

How do those flatties compare on the plate to duskies?

I prefer the blue spots a fraction over the duskies, and tiger flatties probably out in front a little bit more.