Port Hacking Sunday

Welster

Well what a day Sunday turned out to be.  Good weather and a good feed and cracking multiple firsts with my neighbour Rod, a keen fisho who doesn't fish his home state much but Covid helped changed that this weekend.

I wanted to keep it simple and get a feed. We started off squidding and struggled with little result.  Amongst it we picked up the Salmon and a rat king from a bust up that we gave up chasing that later found us.

We moved on a bit further down the coast and after a few moves we found the keeper flatties up to about 46cm.   Mostly blue spot but also a few tiger flathead. 

It will be interesting to hear how Rod rates the Sydney salmon compared to the SA variety, I can't say I have ever tried one.  Rat king, red spot whiting, slimie, port Jackson shark, salmon, baracouta, red gurnard, flounder and passing whales all part of the days fun. 

BFA0CDF8-DDBE-408C-A1E9-6FC6EA8F07B0.jpeg

Edited by Welster
  • Like 9

Good work, a nice mixed bag. A few tigers starting to show up, getting ready for their breeding season.

Some of the S.A. salmon are smaller than what we catch up here, and am told they taste a bit better, probably the size of the smaller ones.

In W.A. they pull out some whoppers, but are still eaten by the locals.

10 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

Looks like a great feed. 

Thanks the freezer had been empty for a few weeks.  

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice mixed bag there & a great day had :thumbup: 

The day was a cracker on the water. 

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work, a nice mixed bag. A few tigers starting to show up, getting ready for their breeding season.

Some of the S.A. salmon are smaller than what we catch up here, and am told they taste a bit better, probably the size of the smaller ones.

In W.A. they pull out some whoppers, but are still eaten by the locals.

Im interested to hear his thoughts.  I mostly throw them back in but have kept a few over time always bled and chilled quickly but usually give them away. 

4 of the 15 were tigers. 

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great haul. Well done.

Thanks Rebel. 

1 hour ago, Welster said:

4 of the 15 were tigers. 

That's good. I like eating the tigers, nice fish.

My mate just had his boat returned after a service, and a new drive shaft (he is trembling waiting for the bill). He wants to head out soon, and is interested in pulling up a few tigers.

His boat is a 25 footer, so I am happy to be fishing in that outside, rather than my close-to-14 foot tinny. 

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

Top stuff, great feed of fish there. I love getting the salmon now I've got a decent fish cake recipe. Just cant expect to fry them up and have them eat like flatties. We've had them in curries before that was pretty good as well. 

Rich

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, Yowie said:

That's good. I like eating the tigers, nice fish.

My mate just had his boat returned after a service, and a new drive shaft (he is trembling waiting for the bill). He wants to head out soon, and is interested in pulling up a few tigers.

His boat is a 25 footer, so I am happy to be fishing in that outside, rather than my close-to-14 foot tinny. 

25 footer would be nice.  Having more days to choose from would be nice too.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:31 AM, Mr Squidy said:

Top stuff, great feed of fish there. I love getting the salmon now I've got a decent fish cake recipe. Just cant expect to fry them up and have them eat like flatties. We've had them in curries before that was pretty good as well. 

Rich

Unfortunately I'm not much of a cook. 

On 8/5/2020 at 12:08 PM, Scratchie said:

Nice work! Sounds like a great day had by all. Plenty of fillets to go around there! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie.