New experience deep dropping

61 crusher

Met up with @zmk1962 at his place & then headed down to wharf Rd & while launchIng just after sun up & 7*C the Asian guy mentioned in another post arrives just wearing his budgie smugglers & goes in for his morning dip (each to their own) wonder if he’s aware of the bull sharks up there in summer.

Well the new 150 Merc moved Barrycuda effortlessly through the water at 50+k’s all the way to the heads & at roughly 45k’s out to sea in reasonably calm seas with about 8 knot winds we were at brown’s in quick time 

After running me through the rig & technique we proceeded to fish, the bites were slow for a while. I hooked up to what looked to be a solid fish which unfortunately turned out to be a slow jigger on another boat picking up my line, don’t know how they manage to keep at it because at times we were dropping to 480 meters

We saw a shark on the surface & on a few retrieval’s we had fish on & then heavy weight then nothing, on two occasions even losing sinkers on the long wind up. The makos must’ve been thick

Zoran managed to get a gem fish onboard with a couple of cookie cutter bites on it & kindly donated his fish to me which we are going to try tonight (thanks mate). Of all the other boats out only the odd fish was caught being a silver dory a small blue eye & one of Zoran’s mates with a silver dory & blue eye head confirming the amount of Noah’s around 

All up a great new experience & I couldn’t imagine dropping nearly 500 meters without using an electric reel being much fun

• Like 5

Hey @61 crusher, nice write up - thanks. It was a strange day at Brown's. Had all the promise,  but the mako's made short work of that outlook. As I said on the boat, deep dropping is like big time gambling -- you've committed the time and energy to get there, the payback could be big, but then again you can go back empty handed. But we got one feed anyway -

image.png.cf9c326ac8992c9ab3d391b615da2826.png

The mate of mine that you mentioned was @Gilbur, out on his bertie again ... he sent me this picture after getting home and stopping at the flattie grounds - he certainly outfished us - maybe too much yakking on our bout (hahaha) - you can see the gem head donated back by the makos !

image.png.3842b2bc6437b88737f3cc5e02f24e4e.png

Looking forward to the next session !

Some stats for the deep water guys, current was N-S about 1.7-2km/h (we had the motor engaged in reverse to hold position), water temp 16.7C. 

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 8

Must have been friustrating not being able to land whats on the end of the line.

@61 crusher At least you got to have a new experience(apart from seeing budgie smuggler man😜), as they say a bad days fishing is better than a good day at work :thumbup:

Could be an electric reel under the tree for xmas??

Maybe the target should have changed to the Mako's, many people traget them as a sports fish & from what I have read they are one of the best sharks to eat??

Better luck next time fella's.

• Like 3

Yup agree with that @Yowie - they are very selective. I had something on which bent the 37kg rod and made it dance all the way to the top- pulled line from the tanacom 27kg drag no probs. We thought we had a winner - wasn't a shark as the swimming was slow and powerful. Swam around boat with 8m to go and tangled with the other line ...we free spooled that ...but then the sharks took it !!!!!! Bah humbug. Not even a head left to show. 

Cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yup agree with that @Yowie - they are very selective. I had something on which bent the 37kg rod and made it dance all the way to the top- pulled line from the tanacom 27kg drag no probs. We thought we had a winner - wasn't a shark as the swimming was slow and powerful. Swam around boat with 8m to go and tangled with the other line ...we free spooled that ...but then the sharks took it !!!!!! Bah humbug. Not even a head left to show. 

Cheers Z

Could have been 2 trevalla maybe?

Do you fish a 2 or 3 hook rig on that or single?

48 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Wouldn’t see me dropping that deep by hand. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Well Scratchie. I might give the hand lines a miss as well. The 15 pound line I use only comes in 500 metres spools. 😂

• Haha 3

In all seriousness guys, I did do one trip using a game trolling rod (about 700m 80lb braid)... I managed 6 drops and retrieves before I gave up... a 4lb sinker puts a nice bend in a 15kg 5'6" rod .... so with every  pump and wind I figured I retrieved about 40-50cm of line ... thats a lot of reps to just get the sinker up.... 😞

Then for many years I used an Alvey Reef King (theres some videos here of that) ... worked a treat, twin handles, 1.3m retrieve per turn ... great upper body workout to boot ... 

But then, I had a skiing fall and now have bursitis in my left shoulder .... so now its Tanacom 1000's all the way ! 

Cheers Zoran

On 8/6/2020 at 7:25 AM, kingie chaser said:

Must have been friustrating not being able to land whats on the end of the line.

I guess at that depth & with the sharks around it’s more like a lucky dip

On 8/6/2020 at 7:25 AM, kingie chaser said:

Could be an electric reel under the tree for xmas??

Only if I want to spend Xmas on my own this year 🤣

On 8/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, Mr Squidy said:

Great report guys. Shame not to bag a few more but sounds like a great learning experience for Crusher, im sure it will translate into some good fish on future trips

On 8/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, Scratchie said:

Not work Lads. At least you got out there and had a go! Wouldn’t see me dropping that deep by hand. Sounds like a good day was had by all anyway! 

Thanks guys definitely a fun day & interesting experience 

On 8/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, Welster said:

Electric sounds like the go to me!  Interesting report guys. 

On 8/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, Pickles said:

Nice work boys, a loooo g way to wind up by hand - good on you for having a crack

Even with the electric lever at full speed it’s surprising how long it takes to get the rig back up to the surface

On 8/5/2020 at 7:29 PM, zmk1962 said:

The mate of mine that you mentioned was @Gilbur, out on his bertie again ... he sent me this picture after getting home and stopping at the flattie grounds - he certainly outfished us - maybe too much yakking on our bout (hahaha) - you can see the gem head donated back by the makos !

image.png.3842b2bc6437b88737f3cc5e02f24e4e.png

Looking forward to the next session !

Looks like Gil out fished & out hooked us

On 8/6/2020 at 8:23 AM, zmk1962 said:

had something on which bent the 37kg rod and made it dance all the way to the top- pulled line from the tanacom 27kg drag no probs. We thought we had a winner - wasn't a shark as the swimming was slow and powerful. Swam around boat with 8m to go and tangled with the other line ...we free spooled that ...but then the sharks took it !!!!!! Bah humbug. Not even a head left to show

Whatever that humbug was it certainly put a good strain & bend in your outfit would’ve been good to see what it or they were

Thanks again Zoran for an interesting & enjoyable day out on the deep blue 👍

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JAKSShark said:

Yeh mate i can witness to this...they are flippin delicous

Yes, caught them before and around the size in the photo they are very good eating .. the only problem with eating them is they do have a high mercury content and the weekly recommended limit for me (about 70kg) is only 150-175g .... so eat in moderation.

AND...... the way they were making short work of the hooked fish and the fin we saw around the boat implied they were a "tad" bigger ...

Cheers Zoran

image.png.48a37e6d034c085ccee4f3d49547018f.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Yes, caught them before and around the size in the photo they are very good eating .. the only problem with eating them is they do have a high mercury content and the weekly recommended limit for me (about 70kg) is only 150-175g .... so eat in moderation.

AND...... the way they were making short work of the hooked fish and the fin we saw around the boat implied they were a "tad" bigger ...

Cheers Zoran

image.png.48a37e6d034c085ccee4f3d49547018f.png

The teeth on makos are the stuff of nightmares !!! A gob full of razors