Best spinning reel for tailor under 200

FishOutaWater

Hey guys,

I currently have a Shimano Saragosa, I am planning to use it for GTs with 80LB braid, up at fraser island, and buy a spare spool with 30lb line for tailor spinning. However I have realized that Saragosa spools are not cheep, in excess of $150 for a spool.

So I would like to buy another reel preferably under 200, what do you recommend for tailor, what give me best bang for buck?

Note, I will be using it with my pen prevail 10-15kg graphite. 

Thanks in advance!

-Mat.

Shimano nasci or ultegra 4000. You don't 'need' 30lb braid for tailor. You can go pretty hard on 10lb but since you have a 10 - 15kg rod you may as well get 20lb braid. Make sure you use wire leader or a ganged hook rig, you can get lucky on 4lb leader and a small hook but if you are actively targeting them you are better off going with something safe. Make sure you rig with the tail facing at the end of the ganged hook rig if you are using light leader attached to the gang hook. 

Regards

• Like 1

Imo just buy another outfit for the Taylor.

The rod you would have paired with a smaller reel/line rating is not really a good combination imo.

You can get a decent 4-8kg rod with a decent 3000/3500 reel combo for the $200.

Thats what I would be doing but each to thier own

4 minutes ago, James Clain said:

Shimano nasci or ultegra 4000. You don't 'need' 30lb braid for tailor. You can go pretty hard on 10lb but since you have a 10 - 15kg rod you may as well get 20lb braid. Make sure you use wire leader or a ganged hook rig, you can get lucky on 4lb leader and a small hook but if you are actively targeting them you are better off going with something safe. Make sure you rig with the tail facing at the end of the ganged hook rig if you are using light leader attached to the gang hook. 

Regards

Cheers,

I have alveys for bait fishing... This rod and reel is mainly for casting metal slugs. You generally don't use a wire leader with the halco spinners do you, just a heavier leader/tippet?

2 minutes ago, FishOutaWater said:

Cheers,

I have alveys for bait fishing... This rod and reel is mainly for casting metal slugs. You generally don't use a wire leader with the halco spinners do you, just a heavier leader/tippet?

Yeah no wire on slugs, just leader or no leader is fine especially for tail cutters like tailor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FishOutaWater said:

Cheers,

Yeah tailor go for the tail hence why their name is tailor. A big one could snip the whole lure but thats just fishing. If you are using this for lures all the more reason to use 15 to 20lb braid

• Like 1

you dont need wire for tailor on lures-personally NEVER been bitten off on a lure , they tend to attack the rear of the lure - mackeral on the other hand will bite you off but the tricky bit is that they will often ignore a lure that has wire. When im chasing spotties on lures i just accept that there is an attrition rate and id rather get the bite and worry about the bite off later , i use 20 or 30lb mono as leader. When we are chasing spotties on livies or bait we use light single strand wire (between 27 and 44lb ) but if you hook a bigger fish on the 27 you can end up breaking off and spannies will bite through that-trade off again between getting bit and not. Couple of years ago off Coffs hooked a very nice cobia on a slimy and lost it after about 15 minutes- the torsion placed on the wire wore it out, but thats life. For trolling big minnows and bibless lures (and the guys i know chucking stickbaits for spannies do this too) 10-15 cm of 69lb single strand will be enough to protect against the teeth of a decent spannie or wahoo- i just replace it regularly. The premade wire traces sold in shops are next to useless- learn the haywire twist for singlestrand and get a decent set of crimping pliers for multistrand . On GT's-im sure there are some around Fraser , ive only fished the western side but would imaging Indian Head might be worth a throw but from the guys i know who've fished the island a lot they are not exactly a target species- chance of a mack or a tuna there as well but apparently beating the sharks is an issue. GT's arent as dirty a fighter as kings in my experience they just tend to do deep , dogged circles which sometimes means they go close to snags- they dont do the mad crash dive of a king, you just have to keep the line clear of any obstructions to survive the fight.

My pick as a tailor reel would be one of the stradic s in the 3000 size, either ci4 or metal body. Something a little heavier which my son has been using ( punishing) is a pioneer make which has hadled numerous kings, tropical reef fish and these local shore fish, including tailor over 9kg. The pioneer is still silky smooth and loaded with suffix 13/1 20lb braid.  Ive also been very impressed with the latest penn battle 3 reels which have good waterproofing, not sure how small they go as mine is a 6000 and I prefer it over my saragosa's. I also don't use wire and rarely loose tailor even on baited rigs, mamoi diamond mono is my go to for traces.

IMG_2948.thumb.JPG.087eba88ede1c259426b3fb9548ba141.JPG

IMG_2951.thumb.JPG.7ac92ec59a0c336d0bc1e0ab3087f28c.JPG

_JDP1769.jpg.17b9e7e95172f4db46808b369e3ee759.jpg

2134561858__JDP17561.jpg.b059ac590fcddcd5b66b4c2c8b1e3958.jpg

_DSC3999_1.JPG.a031dfcd3a764c680fb0dea9c50a935f.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG.5927ddfaf4af0c74a52245ffaafeb9c5.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, JonD said:

My pick as a tailor reel would be one of the stradic s in the 3000 size, either ci4 or metal body. 

I plus 1 the stradic also but the budget is under $200, it'd be some great haggling to get one under $200 these days 😉

2 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

I plus 1 the stradic also but the budget is under $200, it'd be some great haggling to get one under $200 these days 😉

I didn't realise they were that I expensive. I walked out of a tackle store in Merimbula with the latest version ci4 stradic 3000 and a Daiwa black for $300. 

4 hours ago, JonD said:

I didn't realise they were that I expensive. I walked out of a tackle store in Merimbula with the latest version ci4 stradic 3000 and a Daiwa black for $300. 

Might have to go for a drive down south for that price, need a 3000 to go with my 2500, 1000, 4000. 2500 and 3000 basically same thing so the extra spool would be great 😊

The day ( or weekend should I say ) I bought my little outfit was one of those where they had a storewide sale of 40% off everything. I only went in by chance to buy my daughter a packet of soft plastics. The fishing gods were looking after me!!!!