Fish identification? (Striped Trumpeter/Grunter))

Mike Sydney

Question

Hiya raiders! 

First time poster but have been reading this site for a few months - you all have been a wealth of knowledge as i started my fishing journey back in May.

This poor chap pictured was hooked in the eye at Rose Bay today as he came in for a bite of chicken breast. 
Length was perhaps 12cm, very small indeed.

what am I looking at here? Is this a juvenile   Yellow Perch, a striped snapper, some sort of baitfish, one of those hallucinogenic Salema things ?

I couldn’t make a positive ID from googling  so figure why not come to the experts.

some quick thanks - Waza for the write up on Bradley’s Head / White Rock which was amazing.  Whoever posted that recent squidding guide too, incredible detail. 

I started fishing as a way to get out of the house back in Sydney’s Covid lockdown and as I’m sure with most of you I now can’t stop. Only a dozen or so fish caught and released so far - bream, tailor, fan bellied leathers and a bunch of baby snapper. This was the first catch in what has been a slow few weeks. 

any clues or definitive identification would be welcome. Heck it could be a super common baitfish but I am very new to this whole thing!!

cheers, Mike 

C7D9CE69-D45E-451C-9075-4CEADB1FD468.jpeg

Edited by Blackfish

6 answers to this question

Welcome aboard Mike.

Few common names, as @Rob81 said Striped Trumpeter it's also called a Striped Grunter.

Official Common name is "Eastern Striped Grunter" They don't grow very big either.

All the best with the fishing to.

Edited by Blackfish

Excellent thanks for the replies both! 

on a side note , if I catch a fish like this one which is not on the DPI bag limit sheet I got with my license can I assume it’s good to use as live bait or keep? 

Keen to be a responsible fisho, what’s the rule of thumb for fish not on the size or bag limit lists - are we free to do as we please or is it the opposite?