Mono and braid choices

FishOutaWater

So I have decided to re-spool my reels for my up-coming Fraser trip

So I have 2 Alvey 650BCV-RR, for throwing baits mounted on 2 Gary Howard rods.

I will be buying a Shimano Sedona FI 8000 for spinning metal sluggs.

What 20lb Mono do you recommend? I am mainly after something with low memory, low stretch that wont break the bank. And before you mention using the right swivels, I'm all over it..  I just cant stand line twist, especially with the Alveys. 🤬

I also have a Saragosa 8000 currently loaded with Daiwa j braid 30lb, On advice I got from here (Fishraider), I wanna load up with 80lb braid for GT's. But i'm worried about line capacity.  I have read the guide to braided fishing lines which is on here,how ever with so many choices I don't know where to start.🥴  I was just thinking of meeting in the middle and going a 50lb?

if you wanted to try and target a GT What would you do in my situation? (with an 8000 Saragosa) What braid would you buy?

I Kinda wish I went for the 10000 Saragosa... 🙄

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it! Sometimes I think I am over thinking it.🤣🤔

Edited by FishOutaWater
Mistake

Platypus Low Stretch is very popular with Alvey fishermen and for a good reason, the stuff is brilliant on a sidecast reel. It behaves itself on the large Alvey spool and that extra bit of sensitivity over regular mono is worth its weight in gold if the fish are biting timidly.

For braid, at least have a look at Suffix 131. I have it on a beach, spin rod in 30lb  and it is awesome. Thin, soft and casts extremely well.

50 or 80lb is up to you, but keep in mind most braids break well above their stated strains, so a lot of 50lb lines are up there close to 80. Also, fishing it to the max, 80lb is going to to be difficult landbased. That's a hell of a lot of drag on a longish rod.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FishOutaWater said:

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it! Sometimes I think I am over thinking it.🤣🤔

You probably are but as long as you are enjoying yourself, why not? :mfr_lol:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

sufix 832 braid and platypus p8 are the only braids I use now Ive had loads of issues with j braid and sunline

Hi Dave, hope ur keeping well. What sort of issues have you had with Jbraid? bn

Ive had issues of Jbraid myself such as very quickly loosing colour( colour change depth braid) fluffing and weakening. This isn't a big issue if you are using heavier braids than needed but I tend to use light braids even on things like kingfish and snapper. For the snapper light thin braid greatly assists when trying to get soft plastics or micro jigs down into deep water, so 20lb is my max. That same light outfit will often be used for kings too, this is where chinks in the armour show themselves and with Jbraid those kinks so to speak show themselves quite easily.

The suffix 13/1 and Shimano ocea in 20lb haven't let me down at all, infact both of these lines still show no signs of discolouring or fluffing and I haven't been able to break either where other makes would of been replaced several times. Expensive to buy but in the long run they work out far cheaper in my opinion, especially if you start loosing expensive lures.

Saltiga braid mentioned above seems to be quite different, it's extremely soft and also seems to be long lasting. Ive had some on a deep drop reel for around 8 years and it still looks and performs well.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

I only use mono, not braid.

I use Sufix, picking the one that has lowest diameter for it's stated breaking strain. The company makes a few different grades in the same breaking strain, with the thinnest being the dearest (but not by too much)

Platypus now has a better quality mono in a thinner diameter.

One thing about fishing heavy line land based in a rocky area, is if you snag the bottom, you will need to be built like Arnie to break the braid, or other wise cut it.

Edited by Yowie

On 8/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, big Neil said:

Hi Dave, hope ur keeping well. What sort of issues have you had with Jbraid? bn

the 20 and 30lb jbraid just started breaking only after a couple of months wasn't damaged at all one session literally had it break under near zero pressure  times and could see it just pulled apart 

• Thanks 1

I'll second platypus mono, never had an issue with it, my preferred mono.

Regarding braid I've been running Daiwa jbraid for 6/8 pound setups, power pro 20lb/50lb for heavier gear (bottom bashing, live baiting, trolling etc.). Happy with these brands.

I have also had some 30lb Chinese braid on an overhead for bottom bashing and it's amazingly strong, got caught on the bottom the other day and needed a lot of force to break it. If i could remember the Chinese brand I'd buy more as it was much cheaper than the power pro and seems comparable after a couple of years using both :)