Good Ol' Days

Ryder

Hi Raiders

I found a copy of This Is Australia, published in the mid '70

IMG_2843.JPG.4e0bbfcf0dcdc6a85566f9be297ea953.JPG

We had a copy when I was a kid, and I remembered this photo from the 1975 Grand Final, Easts vs St George.

WD and HO Wills (tobacco) were major sponsors. 

It sure was a different time.

IMG_2275.thumb.jpg.f72894d9547ab75db975aeeb54953176.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Donna,

I remember another pic of a labourer at the top of a Sydney highrise maybe AMP building. He's right at the edge, wearing Volleys, Stubbie shorts, no harness and just looking out over the Quay.

Its a classic. 

• Like 2

My son was recently given a heap of music magazines from his grandma, from the 50's- 60's. Marlon Brando, Elvis etc look like school boys in it, I dare say they are worth a bit. Pretty sure Marilyn Manroe is either on a cover or in one of them!!..not front cover of playboy though, maybe his grandad has that one!!!

Edited by JonD
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JonD said:

My son was recently given a heap of music magazines from his grandma, from the 50's- 60's. Marlon Brando, Elvis etc look like school boys in it, I dare say they are worth a bit. Pretty sure Marilyn Manroe is either on a cover or in one of them!!..not front cover of playboy though, maybe his grandad has that one!!!

It is interesting what people collect isn't it. The music mags would be great to browse through. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

It is interesting what people collect isn't it.

Depends on what angle your looking from & not if your on the bad end of it!

My brother & I had to clear my fathers 520sqm 2 story property to get him into a nursing home 3 years ago.

Took 12 months to clear the property for sale with 47 cubic metres of skip bins & that doesnt include 6 tonnes of metal removed, 2 council collections, 6 vehicles, 60 tyres & also doesnt include furniture & appliances & "collectables" 

I now have a well earned opinion on what a collector is opposed to what a hoarder is!

As much as I love the show 'American Pickers' I couldnt watch the show for 12 months after as it just cut to the bone to much 😒

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Sad 1

I worked with a bloke many years ago when I was a youngster, and after he wrapped boxes of items, he would tie the boxes with string, cut off the end pieces and put those string pieces into a box. The box was labelled "Pieces of string too short to be of any use." :blink: He kept them for years.

He told me he put a pair of socks into a bucket of water, but lost it for 3 months in his house before he found it again. 🤪

One day I gave him a lift home from work (his car had been stolen, located by the cops who told him where it was, but by the time he made it to that location - 2 days later - it was stolen again). I walked into his house (first and last time), the front gate was standing but the entire fence had fallen down, and inside there was a passage way from the front door to the kitchen.

He had collected every newspaper he had read, bundled them up in more string, and stacked the bundles from the floor to the ceiling. An average sized room stacked with thousands of newspapers. The kitchen table was covered with dozens of empty Corn Flakes packets. You would not believe it unless you saw it.

He was not married, and had never filed a tax claim in his life, so that when the Tax Dept moved to computer stored info, he was not recorded and was never investigated for anything, as he did not exist on their records and nothing was known about him even after he retired. :o He died a short while later.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

I worked with a bloke many years ago when I was a youngster, and after he wrapped boxes of items, he would tie the boxes with string, cut off the end pieces and put those string pieces into a box. The box was labelled "Pieces of string too short to be of any use." :blink: He kept them for years.

He told me he put a pair of socks into a bucket of water, but lost it for 3 months in his house before he found it again. 🤪

One day I gave him a lift home from work (his car had been stolen, located by the cops who told him where it was, but by the time he made it to that location - 2 days later - it was stolen again). I walked into his house (first and last time), the front gate was standing but the entire fence had fallen down, and inside there was a passage way from the front door to the kitchen.

He had collected every newspaper he had read, bundled them up in more string, and stacked the bundles from the floor to the ceiling. An average sized room stacked with thousands of newspapers. The kitchen table was covered with dozens of empty Corn Flakes packets. You would not believe it unless you saw it.

He was not married, and had never filed a tax claim in his life, so that when the Tax Dept moved to computer stored info, he was not recorded and was never investigated for anything, as he did not exist on their records and nothing was known about him even after he retired. :o He died a short while later.

Lots of hoarders around the burbs. That guy sounds extreme.

I used to collect matches, coasters from pubs all over the world etc but threw them all out years ago. I just have a few things like one newspaper on the day my kids were born, first payslip, nursing memorabilia and thank you cards. I have maps of cities and places that I used to travel to in the 70's and 80's. These are now being shared on facebook groups and enjoyed by others. They are all good memories. 

@Blackfish yes I remember Go Set :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Lots of hoarders around the burbs. That guy sounds extreme.

He was. I remember him bringing half eaten lamb chops to work, heating them up and chewing on the bones for his lunch. They were from his dinner the previous night. 😂

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Some very interesting pics there Ryder, especially the bottom one. The middle one looks like the 70s??? the traffic has got no better since then anyway, no matter how much is spent on new transport systems. Thanks for posting them. bn

Cheers Neil, all mid 70s

First time Elsey was contested. He didn't win. He probably should have spent more on his advertising.

Gordon, do you think that's a Charger on the Cahill by the double decker. Renaults were surprisingly popular.

Edited by Ryder
  • Like 1

Yeah I think it could be Charger, but happy to be wrong.

In the middle lane, in front of the VW could be a Regal ......... I may have owned one in the day.

Also, how many Holdens, then Fords and Valiants were around then compared to today.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Yeah I think it could be Charger, but happy to be wrong.

In the middle lane, in front of the VW could be a Regal ......... I may have owned one in the day.

Also, how many Holdens, then Fords and Valiants were around then compared to today.

Yep I had an EH with a 149. Quiet as and went well, just hard to stop with drum brakes all round. I was continually underneath it adjusting the brakes with a bent tool LOL. bn

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ryder said:

Here are a few

E9913B39-694E-4BAD-9FCC-CA042B6EAA62.thumb.jpeg.6193f6fd0938f1861f15ba95cba8fd82.jpeg

503BEC06-7132-409E-A901-1AECB71D57A9.thumb.jpeg.d12635af135e86df80cbef59b30180af.jpeg

865BF733-BA48-4AF3-8C59-FA609935B579.thumb.jpeg.77c58f1efce3ddc44392ed942d7db031.jpeg

I can relate to a couple of these pics.

I did a couple of years of my apprenticeship on Centerpoint Tower and often had to hang out over the edge, sometimes added safety with a rope around my belly. No PPE back then. See pic below.

I also learnt to drive in a HQ Holden, identical to the gold one in the foreground. Sunburst was the paint colour name.

Also, I'm pretty sure the guy in the first pic with the zinc cream on his nose is Cheyne Horan, a pro surfer back in the 70's.

img004.jpg

Edited by Green Hornet