Salmon : 2 - Yon : 0

Yon

Spent about 2 hours following a large school of salmon along the Bronte cliffs with a mate, until they came within casting distance...

Quickly put the cleats on, headed down to the water and rigged up. First cast I was on! But I felt like I had lost it, only to suddenly feel a big dead weight back on. 
After about 10 minutes of dodging waves and carefully reeling it in, I saw a BIG foul hooked salmon at my feet. Was just about to grab the leader when a wave came in, ran the main line against some barnacles and busted me off! Favourite lure and poor old foul hooked sambo gone! 

Cursing the WFT Gliss line I had been using (great for casting but absolutely no abrasion resistance), I rigged up again and moved to a safer spot. Unfortunately I was out of singles, so had a treble on and promptly snagged up, Gliss line snapping instantly again.

Most men would have been smart enough to pack it in and go home, but not me! Not with a school of fish around. 

Rigged up again, snagged again and lost my third lure! I’m not happy but now it’s a question of principle. I’m going home with a fish or I’m staying here all night! 

Fourth and last metal, I’ve run out of singles AND swivels (travelling light) so I’ve tied directly to the split ring on my metal... I cast and hook up, bring a fat salmon all the way over the reef, it’s at my feet as I grab the leader and SNAP! The knot on the split ring gives out and I’m cursing my lack of patience for not removing the ring. 

At this point I’m out of gear and I’m a defeated, sad man. My mate gives me the salmon he caught as a consolation and I walk home with my pride damaged and my tail between my legs. I fillet the salmon, red meat for the dogs coat and fillets for us. 

Kids were ecstatic - they ate the entire thing as sashimi before I even got a chance to prep the batter. 

So altogether the salmon are 2 for 2 and I’m 4 lures poorer. I have to say though, this just makes me want to fish more! 

Now all I can think about is how to get back out there once I can find more 40g metals (which are currently sold out almost everywhere!). I’ve gotten rid of the WFT Gliss - No good for rock fishing - and replaced with some stronger X9. 

Hopefully that huge school of salmon sticks around for a few more weeks and the swell drops enough for me to safely get them.

• Like 6

Good story Yon. Got to admire your determination. Maybe keep an eye out for the opportunity to tackle them from a beach, where the environment is a bit more in your favour. Anyway keep at it, they are good fun to catch.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Good story Yon. Got to admire your determination. Maybe keep an eye out for the opportunity to tackle them from a beach, where the environment is a bit more in your favour. Anyway keep at it, they are good fun to catch.

I’ve been trying, but where I live (Bondi) they don’t often come within range of the sand. I could be mistaken about that, but casting into the gutters at high tide, day and night, hasn’t netted me anything yet. 
Any advice on that front would be very much appreciated! 

3 hours ago, Yon said:

I’ve been trying, but where I live (Bondi) they don’t often come within range of the sand. I could be mistaken about that, but casting into the gutters at high tide, day and night, hasn’t netted me anything yet. 
Any advice on that front would be very much appreciated! 

You could try a bit of berley Yon. Cut a few pilchards up into cubes and throw one or two in the wash (watch out for seagulls). Often this is enough to bring some fish into the gutters. It IS a bit of trial and error but the Salmon and Tailor will often feed in beach gutters. bn

• Like 1